Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston, Washington or Atlantic City??

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've just got a job for one year with a pub company in America. They have 12 pubs and I must choose my top 5 locations and they will place me in one. I have decided to stay on the east coast. Can anyone recommend any of the above cities? The pubs are within a 10 mins to an hours drive for the above cities. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Depends on your interests. If you are interested in history, politics and museums then Washington DC is hard to beat. The Smithsonian museum complex is a joy. DC is completely fascinating, but if you're not interested in history or politics then it would be very much less interesting.

The climate is also a nightmare in summer with really oppressive heat and humidity.

I love DC though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 edith may

Thanks for the advice. There is one in Providence RI and Arlington Virginia. A town with a good night life, not too expensive to rent in and a good transport system would suit as I can't drive. I don't ask for much do I! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

edith may wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. There is one in Providence RI and Arlington Virginia. A town with a good night life, not too expensive to rent in and a good transport system would suit as I can't drive. I don't ask for much do I! :)

Providence is a sizable city of about a 1million or so people. It would be cheap to rent in, especially in comparison to Boston. I've only been down there on nights out a couple of times, it seems to have a decent nighlife but its a college town so i dunno what it would be like in the summer. Its about an hour from Boston, 4hrs from NYC. Check out craigslist to get an idea of prices on appartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I lived in Providence for a summer a few years back.. The ri ras there is nice, but overall its not a great city. Very little going on there, especially over the summer. It doesnt have a good city center area either - the side of town by Brown university is the probably the best area to live if you dont have a car, but its quite expensive to rent there. In general its a pretty rough city in areas away from the university. Im not sure i have ever seen such a contrast between the "haves" and the "have nots"....... so you have to be careful about where you rent. Having said all that, I liked it there (I lived right by the uni, lots of coffees shops, book shops, etc., the public transport is pretty good - tram and bus systems and not too expensive.....though the bus station is extremely dodgy at night (even though it has a mini police station attached!). If it were my choice I would go for DC - Its a fantastic vibrant city. So much to see and do - I kind of felt it was like TV coming to life :o. Boston is a nice city too, but Id still choose DC. Maybe Im just sick of Boston at this stage!

Thanks again for your help. Turns out I'm moving to Vermont!!! Bit of a change there, looks nice there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

edith may wrote: »
    Thanks again for your help. Turns out I'm moving to Vermont!!! Bit of a change there, looks nice there.

The Burlington ri ras? Nice city :). Nice enough pub too. Close enough to Boston, but very cold!

Yep thats the one! I've lived in a hot country b4 so why not try a cold one!! Really looking forward to it, it looks like a cool laid back city not too serious or hectic. Not far from Montreal and Boston. Pity the winter clothes won't be in Penneys before I go!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rockinrobin7

Hi!

i have also just been offered this job! I am really stuck in relation to what places to pick!
    i have done a small bit of research on Atlantic City, it seems to be nice and not too expensive??
    Is there anyone who would recommend it??
    My Friend lives in Yonkers New York, it doesnt seem to be that far from Atlantic City, I would love to be able to visit her often! anyone know what the best transport would be to get to and from Atlantic City and Yonkers NY?

I would appreciate any advice!

Advertisement