Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Laptop to Desktop

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey,

I am looking for some advice as to whether its better to go with a laptop or PC. Whatever I get will be used for playing online games... Age of Champions (Facebook Game) & Fallensword and bit of watching movies/listening to music.

I currently have an Acer laptop... about 6 years now. Its starting to get dodgy! so I was looking at a laptop (details below) from komplett for €799. It has a second gen i7 processor and 8GB ram. It seems like its good value and would provide high performance.

Then I decided to look into desktops and have gotten myself seriously lost!

So if I decide to go for a desktop what should I be aiming for?? The only ones I can see that are much better than that laptop are gaming ones and much dearer as a result.

I think the laptop looks good but can you's recommend a desktop that would match it or could be better for roughly round the same price (unfortunately on a budget)

Thank you.

:)

PS I am a serious noob when it comes to all this.

The Laptop: Asus K73SD-TY049V
    Screen: 17.3" LED-Backlit TFT - (1600 x 900) HD
    Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM - 2.2GHz / Boost 3.1GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT610M - 1GB
    Hard Drive: 750GB - 5400rpm
    Optical Drive: Dual Layer DVD±ReWriter
    Webcam: 0.3 MegaPixel VGA
    Battery: 6 cell
    Speakers: Built-in speakers
    Connections: HDMI, VGA, 4 x USB2.0, Gigabit LAN RJ45, Mic In Jack, Headphone Out Jack
    Network: Gigabit Ethernet, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n
    Card Reader: 3-in-1 (SD/MS/MSpro/MMC)
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What is the budget? 800? If mobility is not an issue then a desktop > laptop every time for the same price. If you want to bring it around a laptop is the way to go. Personally would prefer a cheap browsing laptop and a good desktop for gaming, with a nice hd monitor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gooner111

I have a max budget of €1000 but if going for a desktop that would have to include the monitor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Get a great pc with a monitor for that.

Fill out this to let people help you better:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056397753

Advertisement