Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads up: Opportunistic Thieves roaming Clontarf

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for any other Clontarf residents, we had a spate of opportunistic robbery in Seafield Downs late on Monday night (some time betwen 01:30 and 08:00)

Some bicycles were taken out of a neighbours front garden and loose change and an iPod were taken out of my car. I didn't lose anything valuable but it's sad to see that the area is no longer safe enough to leave a car unlocked in your front drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I would never leave my car unlocked overnight, anywhere (I'm a Clontarf resident myself) - and your insurance will not pay out on any theft from an unlocked car. Was the iPod on display? If so and you had locked your car, you'd be looking at a bill for a broken window as well.

Sorry, but leaving a car unlocked overnight, even in a drive, is bordering on the naïve.

Thanks for the heads-up, though, and sorry for your trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BrazIrish

Same going on in a regular basis in Rialto... I've been assaulted and attacked myself in the area as well as I have seen last Sunday and Tuesday two guys practicing robberies by breaking car windows and taking whatever you put on passengers seat while stopped. The gardai should do something to avoid that. I don't go out myself after 7pm either in summer or winter... Sad to see that happening in Dublin and why is that?! I thought it was safer when I first arrived here one year and half ago. I might be wrong tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah, it was an ancient iPod nano 2gb model I think that we just had some of the kids music on so not worth very much.

While I know it's not a good idea to leave a car unlocked anywhere these days we've never really had to worry about that kind of thing in the 2 years we've lived here. Some of the neighbours who've been here 20 years or so are just now getting used to the idea that they have to start locking the back door at night, it really has been that quiet and safe an estate.

The other reason I wouldn't be so concerned is that my car's probably not even worth what it'd cost to fill the tank in most of my neighbours jeeps/barges, I really would have expected a beaten up old Toyota Corolla to be the last target in the area!

Advertisement