Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to switch Phoneline to UPC - Self monitoring?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I have an old alarm system which is currently monitored by connecting to my Eircom line.

I am about to switch to UPC for my phone line and have read on here that alarms can still be monitored on the UPC phone line even though they say it cannot but what I want to do is setup a self monitoring system instead of paying for monitoring.

So the idea would be:
    - I disconnect the existing system connected to the Eircom phone line
    - I then instead connect this to the UPC line and have some sort of 3rd party dialer that I can connect that would allow the alarm to call 3 mobile numbers if the Alarm activates?

Any idea of what I would need for this and the costs associated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

reni10 wrote: »
    I have an old alarm system which is currently monitored by connecting to my Eircom line.

I am about to switch to UPC for my phone line and have read on here that alarms can still be monitored on the UPC phone line even though they say it cannot but what I want to do is setup a self monitoring system instead of paying for monitoring.

So the idea would be:
    - I disconnect the existing system connected to the Eircom phone line
    - I then instead connect this to the UPC line and have some sort of 3rd party dialer that I can connect that would allow the alarm to call 3 mobile numbers if the Alarm activates?

Any idea of what I would need for this and the costs associated?

The UPC will work for monitoring be that self monitoring or through a monitoring station. This is a standalone dialer that will play you a pre-recorded message should the alarm activate and works with UPC. Very easy to set up also. Price wise these can be got in Northwood Technology. You would have to give them a ring for a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

altor wrote: »
    The UPC will work for monitoring be that self monitoring or through a monitoring station. This is a standalone dialer that will play you a pre-recorded message should the alarm activate and works with UPC. Very easy to set up also. Price wise these can be got in Northwood Technology. You would have to give them a ring for a price.

Cheers, so I would just connect this to my existing alarm keypad and then into the UPC line?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

reni10 wrote: »
    Cheers, so I would just connect this to my existing alarm keypad and then into the UPC line?

That is correct. To give it line priority you will need to put the line out of the UPC to the dialer then back to a phone point for all other house phones. Good instructions in the pack also for a self install.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Take a look at this post for some more detail on doing this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76106654&postcount=2

Advertisement