Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's the eyesight?

• 12-04-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Most every subject has been done before in AH but I can't ever remember this

So we'll have a go
    I couldn't think of a witty title, t'will do

Were you cursed with being short sighted and wore glasses in school? I was

Or maybe you are an office drone these days and are staring at spreadsheets and accounts all day and you feel you're slowly getting worse :(

Did you wear contact lenses far too long, come home and fall asleep drunk and have problems the next morning?
    I've done that :o It's not advisable

But I got the laser eye surgery a few years back and it was the best money I ever spent :)

So many options so I couldn't do a poll for every option

did you need help? 271 votes

Perfect, just like a rabbit you've never seen me with glasses [contact lenses, etc]
    0% 0 votes
    Imperfect,I've needed glasses, contact lenses, laser eyes surgery, etc
    34% 94 votes
    Atari carrot
    65% 177 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Who said that? Hello, is there anyone there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

masterbation causes blindness

so who has trouble with their eyesight again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

PLEASE WRITE IN A BIGGER FONT IF POSSIBLE BECAUSE I CAN'T READ THE OPENING POST. THANK YOU :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i can read small writing really far away. its my super power.

that and being able to stop mid stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pretty strong overall, one eye moreso than the other. I'm the only person in my immediate family who doesn't need glasses. Had an operation on my eyes when I was small though - that's why my sight is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

20/20 with glasses. Ultracool either way. Slowly going blind due to other causes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Very short-sighted don't wear the glasses as often as I should though because I have a terrible habit of breaking/losing them. Planning on getting laser surgery asap once I get out of the financial black hole that has been my education. I want to travel a bit after college and looking after glasses/contacts on the move is one less hassle then I need considering my poor track record in the area.

I went on holiday to Liverpool last November and decided to get new contacts before I went, went to the opticians where they told me they couldn't give me lenses because it had been over a year since my first lens test and I would have to get another test before they could give me new ones as is their policy. Problem was my flight was leaving in an hour or so and I had no time, so after some cajoling they gave me one pair of the long term lenses (think they last a month?) and told to me to come for the test when I got home, I had lost the lenses by the time I reached the apartment where we were staying, I havn't bothered with them since. I'll get a set of the daily ones when I go back playing 5 a side but that's it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wear glasses/contacts. I not blind without them but reading signs or recognising faces is near impossible.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Wear glasses/contacts.

i guessed that from your user name ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Samantha Brick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

with my glass' on I have 20/20 vision

davet82 wrote: »
    i guessed that from your user name ;)
    Stereotypes exist for a reason :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Were you cursed with being short sighted and wore glasses in school? I was

Yep :(
    Did you wear contact lenses far too long, come home and fall asleep drunk and have problems the next morning? I've done that :o It's not advisable

On many of an occasion
    But I got the laser eye surgery a few years back and it was the best money I ever spent :)

I got it done last week. At the moment it feels like I've fallen asleep with the contact lenses in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Short sighted since mid teens (right eye the shorter of the two), but only had my prescription changed once in the last (mind your own business) years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pretty decent I've never worn glasses. I do struggle at times with my long distance vision though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Pretty decent I've never worn glasses. I do struggle at times with my long distance vision though.

just put your hands to your eyes like your looking through binoculars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Koshea

I can see things, that's the way they're supposed to work yeah?

Apart from that;
    Right eye Longsighted, left eye short sighted, (I'm sure there's a couple of things I'm missing), amblyopia (lazy eye) technically giving me "double vision" but seeing as I can't focus in with both at the same time, never have I had double vision, quite the opposite in fact.

Which meant being turned down by the army/gardaí/air corps/aeromedical doctors due to "total lack of depth perception", although I don't seem to walk into walls the whole time unless I've a good few on me.

Cue the last visit to the optometrist;

"There's so much wrong with your eyes and yet they still work perfectly, if I had a student here you'd make a great case study"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Koshea wrote: »
    "There's so much wrong with your eyes and yet they still work perfectly, if I had a student here you'd make a great case study"

Possible opportunity to make some cash? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I'm 24 and recently got an eye exam as I was sure I was short sighted. Turns out I was right, but not by that much.

So many hours on the computer did that to me. Damn PC Gaming.

If I was younger, I wouldn't have gone for an eye test nor told my parents that I think I may need glasses. Perhaps it's because I thought it was uncool to wear glasses.

At 24 though, fcuk it. Why should I care, glasses are awesome when they improve your eyesight. I don't wear them out, but it's a novelty for me to put a movie on the laptop, put my glasses on and it's so much clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

My ehygsigt ivs cgomplentely fjrine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Did you wear contact lenses far too long, come home and fall asleep drunk and have problems the next morning?
    I've done that :o It's not advisable

Remembering that you have to take out your contact lenses before going to bed when you're drunk when all you achieve is that you practically blind yourself is probably worse :P

I'm short-sighted (-5.25) in both eyes, so pretty bad. Needed glasses since I was 9. I can read a book or the newspaper without my glasses fine but without glasses or contact lenses I'm practically blind. Literally in school, I could be sitting in the front row of the classroom and still couldn't make out what was written on the board.

Off-topic, anybody else suffer from floaters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I was about 10, I was a good little boy, always sitting at the front of the class. Then another boy was naughty, so the teacher brought him to the front and sent me to the back. Cue major "WTF?" moment: why's the blackboard all blurry? :eek:

Glasses ever since: my left eye lens hit -10.50 dioptres by my mid 20s, which (if you know about myopia) is ... not good. When I was living in the UK I qualified for free eye exams, that's how bad the optician thought it was. (I don't get free exams here in Ireland, funnily.) Since then it's improved slightly (-9.50) and stable, so I'm considering surgery, when I can afford it, but I might get turned away as too risky.
    barbarians wrote: »
    Not off-topic at all - it's a known side-issue with myopia. They're all over my vision as I look at a white wall. Had them so long they don't bother me at all.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

i get that all the time, no matter how much i flush it just wont go down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

One of my eyes is weaker than the other, but stronger one compensates for it. My optician insists i dont need glasses. That may change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

bnt wrote: »
    Glasses ever since: my left eye lens hit -10.50

Since then it's improved slightly (-9.50).

Jaysus, now that's seriously short sighted

Sorry, not trying to call you out or anything, that's just realy extreme
    I'm considering surgery, when I can afford it, but I might get turned away as too risky.

Well there is only so much they can do.

I don't know if they would work with you but sure head along for a consultation anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I can't see 3D, so **** you sony, **** you to hell.

**** YOU AVATAR.

Yeah, doesn't really bother me though

davet82 wrote: »
    i get that all the time, no matter how much i flush it just wont go down :(

I just pick them up and throw them out the window. Saves water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've worn specs for about 15 years. I got laser surgery about 7 years ago, but I had to get glasses again about a year later. I might get it again, but only of it gets really cheap. My eyes are now as bad as they were when I had them zapped, so I'm kinda glad I did it or I'd be really bad now, instead of just sort of bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I have great sight from my left eye but poor from my right.
    So I have prescription glasses.

Wearing that eye patch was such a social faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

I'm shortsighted/blind as a bat. -7.25 in each eye. I've had contact lenses since I was nine, started out with the gas permeable ones, and have recently gotten the monthly ones. I very rarely wear my glasses.

Also, to the person who had -10.5, don't be so sure that you can't get surgery. My aunt was-14 in one eye and -15 in the other, was one of the first people in Ireland to get laser eye surgery (back when they had to do each eye on different days and you had to wear a huge eye patch for ages afterwards. She was probably in her early 40's.) She is in her mid 50s now and her eyesight hasn't deteriorated again yet.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I have great sight from my left eye but poor from my right.
    So I have prescription glasses.

Wearing that eye patch was such a social faux pas.

Yaar, matey, I finds them very attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

For some reason i always thought everybody on boards wore glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Last eye exam was about 2 years ago for my driver's license and I had 20/10 vision :D

I can see far far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

All my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My eyesight is perfect but the muscles around my eyes are really tight causing headaches. I'm meant to wear glasses for the computer but always forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Samantha Brick.
    Shoulda gone to specsavers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Koshea wrote: »
    I can see things, that's the way they're supposed to work yeah?

Apart from that;
    Right eye Longsighted, left eye short sighted, (I'm sure there's a couple of things I'm missing), amblyopia (lazy eye) technically giving me "double vision" but seeing as I can't focus in with both at the same time, never have I had double vision, quite the opposite in fact.

Which meant being turned down by the army/gardaí/air corps/aeromedical doctors due to "total lack of depth perception", although I don't seem to walk into walls the whole time unless I've a good few on me.

Cue the last visit to the optometrist;

We're over here, you're posting in the Ladies Lounge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I'm blind in one eye and cant see with the other.

yup your right my guide dog typed this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I got laser eye surgery 9 years ago - it was a fairly new thing in Ireland at the time. Eyesight still great and I honestly think it was the best money I ever invested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am a bit shortsighted and it's really annoying. I don't need or wear glasses day to day but I can't really see anything far away etc. If I wear glasses for a while my eyes get quite sore/strained/tired. I can never find my way around without glasses as I tend to just walk around with my head down not looking at things, as I have to squint to see them well, whereas when I can see well i also tend to remember everything etc. I would say I know Amsterdam better than Dublin even though I was there for a few days, simply as I wore my glasses for the whole trip. :-p Laser eye surgery might be on the cards at some point! Although I do like my glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I was short-sighted for most of my life. Couldn't see clearly more than 12 inches away.

I got laser eye surgery a few years ago and have perfect eyesight ever since. Really quick procedure (18 secs per eye) and no pain/discomfort. Actually, I rather enjoyed it.

I remember when I first got the temp protective lenses out(for LASEK only), and looked down the road. I was stunned. I could see things more clearly than when I was wearing glasses. For probably the first time in my life, I could actually see the world properly.

Easily the best money I ever spent.

FYI...How well they can correct your vision depends on the thickness of your cornea. Most places offer a free check/consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Also, to the person who had -10.5, don't be so sure that you can't get surgery.
    Where did "sure" come from? I said they might say no, that's all - and I will get checked, when finances permit.
    Jaysus, now that's seriously short sighted

Sorry, not trying to call you out or anything, that's just realy extreme
    No, you're right - but for years I didn't really know how bad until the UK optometrist gave me the "free test" form to fill in. That's when I started looking at the numbers to see what they meant. It's not a big deal these days, but I have been warned to watch out for signs of a detached retina.

Apart from the potential medical problems, I never get to enjoy any cheap specs offers, since I need the expensive high refractive index lenses. Last year my frames broke, but the lenses are still good, so I wanted to reuse them, saving $hundreds. The opticians couldn't find the same frames again, but I managed to talk them in to letting me get a smaller frame and chopping the lenses down to size. Which is not as simple as it sounds - they had to make sure the lenses' optical centres still lined up with my eyes, otherwise I would have become cross-eyed or wall-eyed ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I'm not long- or short-sighted but I have astigmatism, made worse by working in an office for the last few years. I wear glasses for work now which I don't mind at all. Couldn't ever see myself getting surgery, I'm way too squeamish about eyes.. I'd just be thinking about A Clockwork Orange the whole time D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I got laser eye surgery 9 years ago - it was a fairly new thing in Ireland at the time. Eyesight still great and I honestly think it was the best money I ever invested.

Same here and I agree it was the best money I ever spent. Hated wearing glasses never found a pair that suited me. Was terrible with the contacts, would leave the in all day and night even the disposable ones.

Got my eyes tested last September and everything was perfect.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Pretty decent (+1 in one eye and + 0.95 in the other). I'm supposed to use reading glasses when at the computer or reading for extended periods of time but I haven't gotten around to buying a pair yet. Effort of that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

rain on wrote: »
    I'm not long- or short-sighted but I have astigmatism, made worse by working in an office for the last few years. I wear glasses for work now which I don't mind at all. Couldn't ever see myself getting surgery, I'm way too squeamish about eyes.. I'd just be thinking about A Clockwork Orange the whole time D:
    I promise you that there is nothing to it. All you see is a complete blur from start to finish (from the drops they put in your eyes), and then a cool light show. Within a few mins, you've got perfect eyesight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

kylith wrote: »
    I've worn specs for about 15 years. I got laser surgery about 7 years ago, but I had to get glasses again about a year later. I might get it again, but only of it gets really cheap. My eyes are now as bad as they were when I had them zapped, so I'm kinda glad I did it or I'd be really bad now, instead of just sort of bad.

Me too, I had it done 7 years ago and it lasted a year and a half. But I will never get it done again, I'd rather just stick with the glasses. Am too nervous of any potential long term damage. But at least they aren't any worse now then they were originally.

What a waste of 4k though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

could be better, short sighted, astigmatism and hereditary glaucoma risk. Don't really bother wearing my glasses much, only sometimes when watching tv or when I want to actually see better. Beer goggles work fine though.

Fine, it's either 20/20 or 20/10. The most recent test was a couple years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement