Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Garden is wild and uneven

Options
  • 12-04-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just after getting a new house and the garden is a bit wild... Nothing too major but the grass is very high (I think too high for a regular lawnmower) and the ground is uneven (some holes in the garden)

What is the best approach to solve this?

The garden is about 1.2 acres of grass and there is a long narrow section where a tractor possibly wouldn't be able to access.

Any help advice greatly appreciated

Any indication of costs if I get someone to do it would also be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

If your any way handy do it yourself, Rent out a petrol strimmer and start cutting, when you have the long grass cut run over it with your lawnmower try to collect up as much of the grass as you can, Then once you keep on top of the grass cutting youre laughing,

As for the holes fill them in with some top soil mixed with sand and grass seed,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question would be - what is your preferred garden? do you want a lawn of 1 acre (which would be a lot of work!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

ronn wrote: »
    If your any way handy do it yourself, Rent out a petrol strimmer and start cutting, when you have the long grass cut run over it with your lawnmower try to collect up as much of the grass as you can, Then once you keep on top of the grass cutting youre laughing,

As for the holes fill them in with some top soil mixed with sand and grass seed,

Thanks for the tips. I have access to a petrol strimmer so that won't be a problem (I hope!!!)

In relation to filling the holes... Do I need to put the sand down first then the top soil or how does it work? I assume I add the grass seed at the end then?
    first question would be - what is your preferred garden? do you want a lawn of 1 acre (which would be a lot of work!)?

My preferred garden would be no garden!!! But the house is perfect so I have an acre to look after. Other than leaving it as grass I don't see that I have any cheap option to not have grass do I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Put in a wildflower meadow. I have one. I cut in once in the spring and then have beautiful wildflowers for most of the summer.

Advertisement