Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Byrne Randonee May 27th 2012.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hopefully a good "Raid" turn out.
    I'm definitely in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am in. Do we pay on the day or we enter the money in the envelope with the form?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am in. Do we pay on the day or we enter the money in the envelope with the form?

Entry is €20 on the day or €15 if pre-entered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm in.

Bump.

Next one up for me.

I know a few of the Raid gang are doing this. Anyone else coming?

Have yet to decide if I'll do the 160 or 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye defo in for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

daragh_ wrote: »
    Bump.

Next one up for me.

I know a few of the Raid gang are doing this. Anyone else coming?

Have yet to decide if I'll do the 160 or 200.

You 're doing the 200! My job here is done.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    You 're doing the 200! My job here is done.

Fair enough. I'll keep you company as long as I can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

Did this last year good well organised event. Very tough pleanty of climbing no rest. Took the option of the Audax medal at the finish for €5
    Receive in the post a couple of months later lovely medal and well worth the €5. Very good food stop as well.
    Will be doing the 200km again year and bringing a few buddies along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Ill be giving the 200 a shot aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm in.
    Unsure o er 200 or 160.
    Between now and the Raid I have only a handful of w/e where I can do back to back cycles and that weekend is one.
    I may do a long cycle on Sat and MB160 on Sunday.

I'm in.
    Unsure o er 200 or 160.
    Between now and the Raid I have only a handful of w/e where I can do back to back cycles and that weekend is one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Will most probably be doing this myself, though either 100k or 160k, certainly not 200k given the struggle I found the Orwell Randonee to be. Have a few friends who may also be interested in the 100k route.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I'm in.
    Unsure o er 200 or 160.

can you choose midroute - ie, if you feel good continue on and do the 200?

marathon50 wrote: »
    Did this last year good well organised event. Very tough pleanty of climbing no rest. Took the option of the Audax medal at the finish for €5
    Receive in the post a couple of months later lovely medal and well worth the €5. Very good food stop as well.
    Will be doing the 200km again year and bringing a few buddies along.

New medals this year AFAIK worth coming out for.

@lennymc, splits at Rathdrum but you should ring the organisers if you drop down as there maybe people at the control waiting for you.

More importantly, don't drop down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

lennymc wrote: »
    can you choose midroute - ie, if you feel good continue on and do the 200?

I'm sure you can , but I think it would be better for the organizers if you enter the 200 and change to 160 if you want to. That way they'll have a better idea of catering numbers for the extra food stop near Slievemane.

The 160 splits at Woodenbridge, joins again at Aughrim, splits again at Brown Mountain (200 goes up Slievemane), joins again near Glenmalure.

CramCycle wrote: »
    New medals this year AFAIK worth coming out for.

@lennymc, splits at Rathdrum but you should ring the organisers if you drop down as there maybe people at the control waiting for you.

More importantly, don't drop down.

im doing the 200. I was just asking as a general FYI for anyone out there who may not have decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

What WW200 climbs do the 100 & 160 go over please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well, I wasn't going to do this, but it looks like a good crowd going, so I might do it.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Well, I wasn't going to do this, but it looks like a good crowd going, so I might do it.

Welcome home!

• Advertisement

Hopefully you have enjoyed all the gorgeous food of Oz. You were too skinny when you left.

Is there on-line entry or is this the usual stuck in the stone ages Audax type gig?
    Cant find any on-line entry on the Sorrento website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Dont think there's an online option, so a bit more effort involved..it is a 200 after all :)

Don't even have to lick the stamps anymore........or envelopes............:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This low tech registration has me well miffed. Can I bung cash in the post with the form, or is it pre-historic cheques only? of which I possess none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So how tough is this exactly? I'm good for the 200k distance but my climbing isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

think il have to opt out, bother of getting sign in and that sunday doesnt suit, may try the course thou myself with few changes and make day of it.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So how tough is this exactly? I'm good for the 200k distance but my climbing isn't great.

It will be by the end :D or even by about half way through. The tough stuff is in the first third.

If you're comfortable doing the Wicklow 200, this will be alot tougher. Alot. So I've heard.

Did the 160k a few years ago...........big wind that day.......going up Glenmacnass on to the top on the way back, we, about 5 of us were leaning into the wind going towards Sally.

It's a tough gig no doubt.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

It's tougher than the Wicklow 200 but not by a whole lot, and you do have 13.5 hours in which to finish it. It's also a lot better catered and less crowded than the Wicklow which makes life a bit easier, and you take in a few roads you probably haven't travelled before. I'd recommend having a go.

@cdaly - sure give it a go. I would imagine you would be fine, although it will be tough. cant wait.

I did the 160 last year and it was hard enough but I'm putting that down to the windy conditions and the fact that I hadn't done a whole lot of training.

While there was lots of climbing there wasn't anything I couldn't handle so I'll be giving the 200 a go this year. Atmosphere was great, lot's of people just going round so there will be always someone to get you over the hills. The foodstop was outstanding.

must send my entry off for this today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can you sign up on the day?

• Advertisement

Can you sign up on the day?

You can, costs a fiver extra, I presume to put off to many on the day entries so they can plan it better.

Planet X wrote: »
    If you're comfortable doing the Wicklow 200, this will be alot tougher. Alot. So I've heard.

Hmm. I've not done the Wicklow 200. I don't do Rathfarnham -> Sally Gap without stops. Sure I'll give it a go and see if I fall over.

Hmm. I've not done the Wicklow 200. I don't do Rathfarnham -> Sally Gap without stops. Sure I'll give it a go and see if I fall over.

I doubt you will have any issues tbh. See you there.

After the fleche, you should have no problems with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Entry posted for the 200km. Weather supposed to improve next week, so let's hope we get some well deserved sunshine.

Missed this one last year, so hoping to improve on my 9.5hrs from 2010.

• Advertisement

Or as Billy Connolly once said:

"Other people seem to be very uppy-downy. I'm more of an alongy sort of person myself..."

He may not have been talking about cycling...

Entry posted this morning, popped a 28t sprocket on the back for a granny gear of 30x28...

good man cdaly - will see you there. being the totally disorganised person I am i havent sent my entry off yet. Ill probably pay on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Entry posted this morning, popped a 28t sprocket on the back for a granny gear of 30x28...
    Did you throw cash / cheque into the envelope?
    I've printed the form but it's conveniently lying on the kitchen table :rolleyes:

Yep. Hope it gets there safely...

Anybody driving over to this from North Dublin and have room for a bike? It's too early for a dart...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Debrad

Mick Byrne 100,160 & 200km
    Sorrento Cycling Club

Leisure Cycle, Randonee and Audax
    on Sunday 27th May 2012
    Sign on in the Dalkey United Club House, Hyde Rd, Dalkey, Co Dublin
    Sign on opens at 7.15 am
    200km start at 8am
    160km start at 9am
    100km start at 10am
    The Club will run the 5th annual Mick Byrne Randonee. Three adventurous tours on some of the most beautiful roads in Co Wicklow.
    Feed stations provided along the routes to keep your strength up.
    All in memory of a man who wanted people of all ages to experience the joy,excitement and adventure of cycling! The 100km and 160km are great preparation for the Wicklow 200 and the 200km has over 3000mtrs of climbing, a true challenge.
    Entry fee
    €20 on the day or €15 if pre-entered, over 70s get free entry!
    this includes really good quality food stops on all three routes...great value is assured.

Pre-entry is advised as we may have to close entries when we reach a critical number on the day.We will also operate a separate check-in desk for pre-entrants, making for an easier start for them, on the day.

All profit goes to the
    Irish Hospice Foundation. €1,800 was raised last year! Please visit Sorrento Cycling Club website (www.sorrentocyclingclub.com) to download standard Audax entry form or to pre-enter Sportifs.
    NB. No additional temporary C.I. Licence fee applies to the event but you must sign-on on the day to be insured.
    For more details contact: Paul O’Donoghue SCC at 087 7850890 or podluna@gmail.com
    John O’Sullivan SCC at 086 8549881 or osulljp@gmail.com

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Threads merged

Finished the 160km a few hours ago.

Thanks to Sorrento. Spectacular parcours, particularly in Sth Wicklow where I had not been previously.

Well marked and great support on route.

Despite 2400m of climbing, I didn't find the 160km overly challenging, as the serious climbing (Slieve Maan) is on the 200.

Weather glorious. Felt a bit too hot around Glenmacnass but other than that it was superb.

On the climb to Greenane there was a crystal clear stream running alongside the road. Close to the top I took the opportunity to dunk my head into icy cold waters. Glorious.

Thanks to Idleater for the company all day. Gentleman.

From this parish also met Lenny, Planet X, Emty, Cadex, Tax Man and CDaly.

I will do this one again. A beautiful event.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Did the 200. Crashed. Cramped. Clawed my way home.

Thanks to the guys who waited when my post crash chain jammed. The first time. And to the lifesaver with the sandals and electrolyte package.And to all at Sorrento. Real coffee? I almost kissed her.

Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/9467896

• Advertisement
Advertisement