Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home - Alarm Recommendation

Options
  • 12-04-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just about to move into a new house and I was looking for some help with regard to an alarm choice.

I think we need a monitored alarm as we are a bit remote when it comes to someone hearing the alarm.

I looked at Eircom Phonewatch as it is the only one I knew but I was confused about what exactly I will need.

Do I need a sensor on every window and door in the house? That would be a big cost I would imagine as our house has 5 bedrooms / 4 bathrooms. Do you just pick strategic places to get the sensors?

Also I see monitoring with them is €25 per month. Is there any other operators offering monitoring at a better price?

I also need a GSM unit as we don't plan to get a landline. Is this a once off additional cost or will there be a monthly fee also.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The HKC 10/70 or the Quantum 70 would be a good choice. The cheaper option would be the Powermax Complete system if you have a lot of windows and doors to cover. In terms of the monitoring if you did decide to use a GSM you should be looking at using a dualcom which polls every 3 minutes to the monitoring station. Much more secure than the standard GSM which once blocked there is no way of knowing it is. Depending on the type of monitoring you choose will determine the price of the monitoring, GSM would not be a secure option. Also see whats is included in terms of call outs and maintenance on the system, and get it all in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

altor wrote: »
    The HKC 10/70 or the Quantum 70 would be a good choice. The cheaper option would be the Powermax Complete system if you have a lot of windows and doors to cover. In terms of the monitoring if you did decide to use a GSM you should be looking at using a dualcom which polls every 3 minutes to the monitoring station. Much more secure than the standard GSM which once blocked there is no way of knowing it is. Depending on the type of monitoring you choose will determine the price of the monitoring, GSM would not be a secure option. Also see whats is included in terms of call outs and maintenance on the system, and get it all in writing.

Thanks for the info... I have looked at the websites of the ones you listed above and it's all a bit beyond me to be honest. I have been offered a wired system with 12 motion detectors from Eircom Phonewatch for €649 + a GSM Unit for €140... This is in conjunction with a €25.25 per month monitoring fee which includes two services in a 12 month period.

Is this a decent set up or do I need to contact other suppliers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would not recommend this system.
    You will have no external bell. Also with PiRs the alarm will not activate until someone is in the house. An alarm should be activated when someone tries to breakfast in, not after the damage is done. Forget about GSM as well its not a reliable form of monitoring. Google GSM jammers for more info. Most reputable companies will not use GSM monitoring without, at the very least, telling the customer of the risks.
    I would not feel one bit secure relying on a GSM and no working external bell.
    Also you should not be limited to 2 calls a year. That's basically saying if the system is faulty and they don't fix it right your the one that's going to pay.

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would not recommend this system.
    You will have no external bell. Also with PiRs the alarm will not activate until someone is in the house. An alarm should be activated when someone tries to breakfast in, not after the damage is done. Forget about GSM as well its not a reliable form of monitoring. Google GSM jammers for more info. Most reputable companies will not use GSM monitoring without, at the very least, telling the customer of the risks.
    I would not feel one bit secure relying on a GSM and no working external bell.
    Also you should not be limited to 2 calls a year. That's basically saying if the system is faulty and they don't fix it right your the one that's going to pay.

In relation to the external bell we are reasonably remote so I don't think that would be of any great concern as I don't think it would be heard.

In relation to motion sensors - What would you recommend instead? Would I need to fit something to each window? Would that become very expensive?

I looked at the dualcom recommendation above. Would that be a more suitable product to use instead of the GSM unit.

If I get someone to install the alarm will Eircom then monitor it?

Sorry about all the questions.

Just it's a lot of money to be shelling out so I want to make sure I get good value for money

I also meant to mention my new house is prewired with wires in every room for an alarm and a wire at the front door.

Does this change my decision?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is still better to have an alarm making noise. An internal siren can be silenced in 20 seconds. An external bell up a height with its own battery is no so easy.
    Perimiter protection with a couple of PiRs would be much better. Contacts on all openings & inertia sensors on all accessible points.
    Anything is better than GSM in my opinion.
    I really don't get why Eircom push this yet refuse to connect to UPC lines etc.
    Why do you want Eircom to monitor it. Any licenced company can set you up with monitoring. All monitoring stations conform to the same standard so there is no benefit to Eircom monitoring.

Thats why you should shop around. Get at least 3 quotes.
    Always compare like with like. Eg if there is no bell on one quote ask how much extra that bell is so you can compare with the others.
    Always find out whats included in maintenance & monitoring contracts.
    Wheres the hidden charges?
    Never accept a quote with out a visit to survey. It won't be right & you will probably need extras.
    I also meant to mention my new house is prewired with wires in every room for an alarm and a wire at the front door.
    Wired for windows in each room?

If you are considering paying for monitoring then the GSM is something to stay away from. If a blocker is used then the alarm signals go no ware. There is no way of knowing the alarm has activated. If money is an option the a trap pack will activate if an intruder in in your home, perimeter protection is always going to give your home more protection. The other down side to a trap pack is most of the PIRs will be off at night to give you access around your home. I would consider if money is an option asking a few installers to price to move the cables from there location to cover the window instead. Another thing to note is if you are offered a SecureWatch panel, the newer panel HKC have is the SecureWave. There are still a lot of companys using the older cheaper option on wired installs. The SecureWave system is a hybrid panel that will allow you to add on wire free detectors along with using any wires you have installed in your home. It also has the ability to send a voice message if you did decide to move away from monitoring at a later date.

Thank you both Koolkid and Altor for your replies.

I have just come back from getting a quote from a local company here in Waterford.

They have offered me the following system:

1. Wired contact and vibration sensors on each window (15) and door (3)
    2. PIR for both the main hall and the master bedroom
    3. Internal Bell
    4. External Bell
    5. 2 x Wired Smoke Alarms
    6. 1 x Wired Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    7. GSM Unit

The price I was quoted was €1,800.

Does this seem like a good price.

The unit being used is a Satel unit (which allows both wireless and wired components)

The company I work for uses this alarm supplier for as long as I can remember and have only had positive experiences.

I know ye mention the monitoring issue and the GSM concerns you both raised. Should I request a Dualcom system like was mentioned by Altor earlier in the thread? How much do these retail for? Do they need a sim card to operate on? If so how much per month does that cost?

Thanks again for your assistance.

With all you are getting it is a good price. The Satel system has plenty of options that can be added at a later date. If you are opting for for a GSM then the Dualcom would be the better option, at lease if there is a blocker used there will be an indication at the monitoring station. There are a few types, the international would be the better of them where it polls every 3 minutes to the monitoring station. If it misses 5 polls then it is acted upon. The cost of the sim is included in the price for the monitoring for the year. Prices can vary so you should get a price off your local installer. There are more expensive option in using radio but it is very expensive.

Thank you both Koolkid and Altor for your replies.

I have just come back from getting a quote from a local company here in Waterford.

They have offered me the following system:

1. Wired contact and vibration sensors on each window (15) and door (3)
    2. PIR for both the main hall and the master bedroom
    3. Internal Bell
    4. External Bell
    5. 2 x Wired Smoke Alarms
    6. 1 x Wired Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    7. GSM Unit

The price I was quoted was €1,800.

Does this seem like a good price.

The unit being used is a Satel unit (which allows both wireless and wired components)

The company I work for uses this alarm supplier for as long as I can remember and have only had positive experiences.

I know ye mention the monitoring issue and the GSM concerns you both raised. Should I request a Dualcom system like was mentioned by Altor earlier in the thread? How much do these retail for? Do they need a sim card to operate on? If so how much per month does that cost?

Thanks again for your assistance.

With all you are getting it is a good price. The Satel system has plenty of options that can be added at a later date. If you are opting for for a GSM then the Dualcom would be the better option, at lease if there is a blocker used there will be an indication at the monitoring station. There are a few types, the international would be the better of them where it polls every 3 minutes to the monitoring station. If it misses 5 polls then it is acted upon. The cost of the sim is included in the price for the monitoring for the year. Prices can vary so you should get a price off your local installer. There are more expensive option in using radio but it is very expensive.

Thanks again

I thought it was too. Do I have any other monitoring options other than GSM? I don't have a landline so I assume there aren't any other options other than a radio setup which you mentioned was very expensive

• Advertisement

Radio would be more secure but is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

check out 24-7 security - they gave us a great deal on the dualcom system. their web is www.247security.ie - presume that's okay

OK I got another quote which does appear to be good value to me at least

It's a GE Alarm - The same as Eircom Phonewatch use

15 wireless contact / vibration sensors for the windows
    3 wireless contact / vibration sensors for the doors
    1 external bell - wireless
    1 internal bell built into panel
    1 GSM unit (I know this isn't ideal)
    2 Motion sensors - wireless
    1 Panic Button
    1 Keyfob

Installed for €1,630 with monitoring at €16 per month.

So my questions are:

1. Is the GE system a good package?

2. How long do the batteries really last and how much do they cost? I have heard conflicting stories on their duration

Thanks again for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I would not go for the wireless external bell or wireless Motion sensors, would be better to have these wired to mains.. would cost money and hassle down the road changing batteries in those particular two. Wireless internal sensors batteries are easy enough to replace though.

Actually I was incorrect when I looked through the notes of the call I had with the installer this morning he said that the external bell is powered and not wireless.

The first system is still better value. From the quote they are installing a wired system compared to the wire free system with extras compared to the second quote. There would be no worrying about batteries in sensors this way.

2 x Wired Smoke Alarms
    1 x Wired Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    These alone would make the system more expensive.
    I would ask the installer about installing the dualcom over a GSM if you are going down the monitoring route.

OK I got another quote which does appear to be good value to me at least

It's a GE Alarm - The same as Eircom Phonewatch use

15 wireless contact / vibration sensors for the windows
    3 wireless contact / vibration sensors for the doors
    1 external bell - wireless
    1 internal bell built into panel
    1 GSM unit (I know this isn't ideal)
    2 Motion sensors - wireless
    1 Panic Button
    1 Keyfob

Installed for €1,630 with monitoring at €16 per month.

So my questions are:

1. Is the GE system a good package?

2. How long do the batteries really last and how much do they cost? I have heard conflicting stories on their duration

Thanks again for any help

The first system is still better value. From the quote they are installing a wired system compared to the wire free system with extras compared to the second quote. There would be no worrying about batteries in sensors this way.

2 x Wired Smoke Alarms
    1 x Wired Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    These alone would make the system more expensive.
    I would ask the installer about installing the dualcom over a GSM if you are going down the monitoring route.

Thanks again for your reply.

Forgot to mention the wireless quote includes 2 x wireless smoke alarms but not carbon alarm.

How long on average do the batteries last in GE sensors?

Are they a good system in general or is the wired system still a better option?

Thanks

A wired system is the way to go if all cables can be installed and protected correctly. Generally 3-5 years on the GE sensors. By the sounds of it you are getting a Eircom system quote if the internal bell is fitted in the control panel.
    Fairly basic system but will do the job protecting your home.

Advertisement