Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to get "thin" Electrical Cable to lessen visual impact of wiring?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I have an application whereby i will need to run electrical wiring across some red brick to get to a light fitting. I notice all my current outdoor light wiring is quite thick (standard type) Is it possible to get a narrower wiring line that is less visually intrusive?
    Application running 4w LED garden lights.
    I will take a spur of my current standard wiring to supply the new light fittings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

perhaps some pyro
    expensive to install though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral-insulated_copper-clad_cable

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

meercat wrote: »
    perhaps some pyro

Ah i thought there might be summit just off the shelf that i didnt know about. Ah ill have to just get used to the view lol.
    Thanks anyway Meercat

need to get an expert to install it though

nothing else springs to mind

can you bring the new cable inside(at back of existing light)and then route it around out of view(bit of mini trunking)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

basically lights running along the outside wall of a house the other side has kitchen units. so cant really drill through from the far side. Ah sure ill blend it in some how :)

can you drill through at an angle to come out above units and route the wire from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Paint the wire the same colour as background you want to hide it with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SDS Drill,a 600-1000mm long masonary 12mm drill bit and some 1.5 square NYMJ and drill at an angle out to the light fitting.
    You can hire out extra long drill bits from most builders providers for about 5-10 euro a day.
    Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

stick the cable into some coloured heat shrink, brown or red or grey.
    or chase out the morter and sink the cable and re-point the brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

stick the cable into some coloured heat shrink, brown or red or grey.
    or chase out the morter and sink the cable and re-point the brick.

I wouldn't do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blademania

meercat wrote: »
    perhaps some pyro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral-insulated_copper-clad_cable

Copper Pyro def the best option. I had the same problem, I had some old red brick and wanted to put in a light fitting in keeping with the old look. Tried to blend/paint the white flex as a previous person commented but it just didnt look right. Pyro is the only job for that...its not over expensive but try get an old school sparks to install it if you do decide on it cause alot of the younger generation have never even seen the stuff and if its not glanded right it can cause shorts!! Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Blademania wrote: »
    Copper Pyro def the best option. I had the same problem, I had some old red brick and wanted to put in a light fitting in keeping with the old look. Tried to blend/paint the white flex as a previous person commented but it just didnt look right. Pyro is the only job for that...its not over expensive but try get an old school sparks to install it if you do decide on it cause alot of the younger generation have never even seen the stuff and if its not glanded right it can cause shorts!! Hope that helps.

Feck, old school:D:D. I though i was still a young fella. Great stuff the pyro.

In this instance though, its probably possible to do the job without the surface run. Only seeing it can tell that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blademania

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Feck, old school:D:D. I though i was still a young fella. Great stuff the pyro.

In this instance though, its probably possible to do the job without the surface run. Only seeing it can tell that.

Haha... well im still young...ish but still feel old skool if that makes u feel better!!:D yep its great stuff alright but if you get a short over a circuit with a few glands on it god bless a mans patience!!:D
    But yes seeing it is def the only way to tell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bobby brown

Hi,the only way you will get shorts when working with pyro is if you have limited experience in what you are doing,or are not great in the vision department.It is probably the best solution for the OP though,if you can afford to pay for it.
    Cheers

Advertisement