Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan from Blanchardstown

Options
  • 12-04-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

Starting a new job next month. It's out by Liffey Valley.

At the moment I'm living around Coolmine area.

Does anyone know what the traffic is like in the mornings if I was to go the back roads (avoiding the toll) up by Clonsilla, through Lucan village and how long it might take?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Heres an option of a route to take for you.

What time in the mornings will you be doing the journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I could be wrong but going out of Porterstown junction (at the Church) in the morning it can be a night mare !
    Better to use the new traffic light junction at the train station and follow-up the road ,pass Health Gym on the right side ,turn right to Lucan,cross the bridge over Liffey and have fun after that !
    max 30-40 minutes i say...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Depends what time you leave. I live near coolmine, leave my house at 8 every morning and go up passed Mochtas school, towards porterstown and there's very rarely heavy traffic. You may get stuck at the train but it's always quicker than going over clonsilla train station bridge. I drive the backroads behind Leixlip to Maynooth each morning and if I leave at 8am I get to Maynooth at 8.25. If I leave later than 8 I get stuck in the morning traffic around the schools and it can add about 20 minutes of traffic to my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I was thinking of the route up Clonsilla Rd, over the tracks at Clonsilla Station and then down past Fort Lucan, around that mad bend and into Lucan Village.

Newish to the area so haven't gone any different way.

That's the only route I know (Although Vikings route is an option)

I'd be leaving house about 8.

Traffic around clonsilla train station in the morning can be mental. Especially since they introduced the new traffic lights. Regularly I've been stuck in traffic there that's backed up way back passed Discount fuels. You could be stuck at the lights for ages and then get through only to get stuck cause the barriers are down. Going down the road passed Mochtas up towards porterstown, turning right at the top of that road and continuing on as before is more reliable traffic wise. Leaving around 8 you should be well there by 20 passed I'd say. Give yourself a bit of time to play with on your first run though, just in case.

• Advertisement

Traffic around clonsilla train station in the morning can be mental. Especially since they introduced the new traffic lights. Regularly I've been stuck in traffic there that's backed up way back passed Discount fuels. You could be stuck at the lights for ages and then get through only to get stuck cause the barriers are down. Going down the road passed Mochtas up towards porterstown, turning right at the top of that road and continuing on as before is more reliable traffic wise. Leaving around 8 you should be well there by 20 passed I'd say. Give yourself a bit of time to play with on your first run though, just in case.

Can you Google map that route for me? I'm just a bit lost :rolleyes: Or is it the map Vikings did? Sorry I'm sh*t at directions. (And thanks!)

FYI; the sharp turn just passed westmanstown on the map is the turn at the bottom on the hill down on to the strawberry beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lucan Village to Woodies is another traffic bottleneck to be wary of if avoiding the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Depends what time you leave. I live near coolmine, leave my house at 8 every morning and go up passed Mochtas school, towards porterstown and there's very rarely heavy traffic. You may get stuck at the train but it's always quicker than going over clonsilla train station bridge. I drive the backroads behind Leixlip to Maynooth each morning and if I leave at 8am I get to Maynooth at 8.25. If I leave later than 8 I get stuck in the morning traffic around the schools and it can add about 20 minutes of traffic to my commute.

Pop tarts, pay attention to this reply above, it is spot on. I use this regularly at various times of the day.

- Take a left down past Mochtas school if coming from Coolmine direction.

- Go over the mochtas train track bridge and continue up past the mochtas football pitches and traveller site. until you come to a T junction/but t's being redeveloped as i type :)

- go right and take a quick left odwn rugged hill.

- when you get to the end, go right and that will take you all the way around down to the lucan liffey bridge and the rest is clear.

It is the easiest way to get to where you are going if you want to avoid the tolls.

ps; if you want specific directions from lucan village to Liffey valley, just let me know and i'll screenshot it for you on google earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

PopTarts wrote: »
    Starting a new job next month. It's out by Liffey Valley.

At the moment I'm living around Coolmine area.

Does anyone know what the traffic is like in the mornings if I was to go the back roads (avoiding the toll) up by Clonsilla, through Lucan village and how long it might take?

Thanks.

Head out the main distributory road (that links powercity to ongar). End of road, take right at roundabout. ( you can only go right, or turn back on yourself). Next roundabout, straight thru. Next roundabout take a left. 100mtrs turn left. Follow road (R149) avoiding any turn offs ( most noticeably the one you will meet after about 150 mtrs on this stretch as it can easily be confused; basically, you bear left) It's a bit bendy but the surface is decent enough. You will eventually come to a junction with a right turn for leixlip. Ignore this and go straight. Over a bridge, thru next roundabout ( housing estate on your left all the way down the hill to the river Liffey ), the rest is easy.
    This adds a little distance but cuts lever level crossings. Youll reach lucan in no time. Give it a go:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In the past anytime I've done that route at peak in the morning there's been a tailback getting across the lucan bridge. Maybe its not as bad these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Hi,

Anyone could give me a google map from Lucan to Blanchardstown shopping center without any sharp turns or steep bridges? I don't mind drive a few more minutes if I can go through a safer road. Of course I don't want to go through M50 either, :D

Regards

mudxfxa wrote: »
    ...without any sharp turns or steep bridges...

Why?

No M50 either so I'm assuming a learner driver who doesn't want to get stuck on any hills and have to hill-start.

Thats what I'm thinking. So I'm thinking they'd be better getting the experience over with rather and learning how to do it, rather than avoiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Thanks a lot Michellenman, you're correct, my driving is not perfect, I just try to avoid those sharp turns when it's raining to avoid potential danger.

TBH it doesn't sound like your ready to drive on your own.

Nowhere does it mention they'll be driving on their own.

• Advertisement

Came today from South,avoiding the M50 rip-off charge but...took me about 45minutes to get past in D15 !

Stopping in Lucan,at Woodies,off the N4.Then,following the 66 bus,stopping at every stop,then down the hill,that stupid round-about where no one indicates direction,then admiring over the bridge at the waterfall .Then cca 15 minutes waiting at crossing the raliway at Clonsilla...

I reckon that for €2 toll bridge i was going over there,i will be out cheaper in petrol,time and money !!! And,all this today,with no school and children and mums school day' driver wanna be !

Considering there's a slip at both M50 junctions, there a lot less stopping. High volume of traffic on either route though.

Nowhere does it mention they'll be driving on their own.

True but someone whos afraid of sharp turns and handbrake starts is at a very basic level of driving. Lucan to Blanch is a busy route, with lots of hills.

And like you said, everyone needs practice. Give 'em a break. If they're just starting to drive then it's natural to look for the easiest route.

And like you said, everyone needs practice. Give 'em a break. If they're just starting to drive then it's natural to look for the easiest route.

If they are starting to drive as you say, and is suggested by their comments. Then the backroads between Lucan and Blanch are not a suitable route. Its busy and hilly. Considering they want to avoid hills and sharp corners.

Other than clonsilla train station, which I recommended to avoid, there is not a single hill on the route I google mapped.

To quote you:
    So I'm thinking they'd be better getting the experience over with rather and learning how to do it, rather than avoiding it.

I drive that route 12 times a week, at times that vary from 8 in the morning, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 10pm and it's never particularly busy. The only place that could possibly be busy would be around clonsilla station.

Anyway, go find someone to argue with elsewhere, I've no interest. This is completely off topic. Time to move on.

Other than clonsilla train station, which I recommended to avoid, there is not a single hill on the route I google mapped.

To quote you:

I drive that route 12 times a week, at times that vary from 8 in the morning, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 10pm and it's never particularly busy. The only place that could possibly be busy would be around clonsilla station.

Anyway, go find someone to argue with elsewhere, I've no interest. This is completely off topic. Time to move on.

What about at the bridge traffic lights,entrance of Lucan from Clonee or Beds !?
    What about at the lollypop lady,beside the junior boys school !?
    What about up the hill,after another junior school !?

What about coming from South,when queue is way above the traffic light to turn right downtown !?

If i leave in the morning at 8:45 i exit Lucan at 9;30.If i leave at 9:30 i get before 10 on Southside !

No offence,but there are two-three well known bottlenecks on the route and is no point to deny it ... :)

PS
    To be on the safe side,i'll use M50 in the morning,to be sure i am on time at work and then ,on my way back home,relax in the car,with the traffic coming through Lucan !
    With time saved,petrol,car parts and stress,5 days x €2 tag = €10 per week gives me peace of mind !!!
    Regards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Alright guys let it go, you're off topic and heading into a pointless argument. Neither the driving ability of mudxfxa nor the topography of west Dublin are up for discussion.

Thanks for the answers :)

At the moment I was going down Riverwood Rd and over the Flyover and then taking first exit at roundabout up to St. Mochta's.

With the 2 new exits now before the flyover (where the old roundabout was) if I got straight on there will that take me anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SueyW

my office cud be moving out to Carrickmines soon and I'm house hunting in Clonsilla. Any idea how long it wud take me to drive thru Lucan to get to the M50 (trying to skip the toll bridge).
    This is the route that Google maps recommends: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=clonsilla,+dublin&daddr=clondalkin
    how long would it take during the lovely school seasons where everyone seems to forget how to drive? Any ideas on this would be dearly appreciated!
    Thanks!! :)

Advertisement