Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job salary ??????

• 12-04-2012 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all .

Could any one help me here . i am to have a job interview in the next week or 2 i was talking with some from the company this week and he said go away and have a think about what salary i want so my question is what salary would you expect .

the job is selling stairs floors and all timber product for the home based in a showroom in waterford i will be doing pricing, plans, house call doing measurements i have 15years exp in the trade with 3 of them in sales .

are you loking at 20k
    or are you looking at more at the moment i am on the dole so any job will be taking but i just dont want to under sell or over sell myself i would be think in the region of 25k to 30k and views will be great cheers in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silv3rsurf3r

Hi T,
    Don't sweat it about the salary or tie yourself to a figure!
    There might be other non-monetary benefits attached to the job that are worth more than cash. Have a look here http://www.recruitireland.com/careercentre/ to get an idea of what the job typically pays, and read the section on Interview advise.
    If asked what salary you expect, you could ask what was on offer and follow immediately with a statement that salary is not the main priority- you want to get back to work and are willing to prove yourself- you have the experience and the skills, and you want an opportunity to work with the company and advance your career!
    At least that's my 2 cents worth!
    Best of luck with the Interview- am finding it hard to even find something to apply for... even with 10 years+ in manufacturing and good qualifications.. :( It's not easy out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

hi silv3rsurf3r ,

thanks for reply and great advise , you are dead right in what you say its probable more important i get the job rather than the wage been paid but i just down want to ruin my chance of getting the job over this as this is my first ever interview lol and dont have a clue as to what i have to say or prepare my self to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You could say that at the minute you would be happy with X amount, however as you see this as a long term opportunity you would want something in the region of Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Well if you are working 40 hard hours a week, you want to be getting a good bit more than just sitting at home on the dole. It's also expensive to go to work and you also pay tax.

With 15 years experience, I wouldn't take a job for less than 27k if it was me.

thanks for reply guys

i think i will set figure at 20k to 25k with a view for promotion and increase in a year and maybe even 5% to 10% commission do this seem fair ???????

• Advertisement

Seems very low to me, minimum wage would be €16k/annum, you have substantial experience and it's not Woodies DIY who are making you an offer, I'd go for €30 to €35k. They know you are on the lookout for work so if they have a lower figure in mind they won't be shy in telling you ;)

but do you think if i went in with a higher amount they might not give the job i know in my heart n soul if i get it and ask for more in a year i will get it maybe i should say 26k 28k

james any idea what the take home pay from 30k to 35k would be like what would the final pay be

tfromkerry wrote: »
    but do you think if i went in with a higher amount they might not give the job i know in my heart n soul if i get it and ask for more in a year i will get it maybe i should say 26k 28k

If they want to offer you the job they'll be making an offer regardless how much you say you want :) These folks are in business, they know the lie of the land. Don't ever bank on getting a pay rise down the road imo :)
    james any idea what the take home pay from 30k to 35k would be like what would the final pay be

Single man, no dependents, not paying into pension, no BIK....

30k - take home €480/week

35k - take home €537/week

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_IE/ie/insights/budget-2012-ireland/2012-irish-tax-calculator/index.htm

thanks james very use full info cheers

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the interview and negotiations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi all .

Could any one help me here . i am to have a job interview in the next week or 2 i was talking with some from the company this week and he said go away and have a think about what salary i want so my question is what salary would you expect .

the job is selling stairs floors and all timber product for the home based in a showroom in waterford i will be doing pricing, plans, house call doing measurements i have 15years exp in the trade with 3 of them in sales .

are you loking at 20k
    or are you looking at more at the moment i am on the dole so any job will be taking but i just dont want to under sell or over sell myself i would be think in the region of 25k to 30k and views will be great cheers in advance .

Hi, couple of pointers,
    in the current climate, firms are more interested in getting sales staff, on a low basic, plus commission.
    Also I notice house calls, in reality this may be where the sales occur, as with sales to domestic, home situations, often you cannot get an acurate price without a house call/ survey.
    This brings in the question of travel.
    Is there a car involved, as part of the package?
    They may offer a set monthly allowance, be careful if they do, as you will be expected to supply the car, tax, insurance,servicing, maintenance, and replacment when its worn out.
    I have seen Rep's offered 1600.00 p.m which sounds great, but when they add up all the costs, its a loss making arrangment.
    Try for a mileage allowance, Revenue Rules are quite generous and tax-Free.
    Back to Salary, in this market you could be offered a package of say 20K plus Commission, you mention a figure of 10%, not realistic, half that.
    So your first question should be, what are my realistic sales targets for the first year, then calculate what level of Comm. plus a basic will give you a reasonable income.
    Best of luck with the interview, of you got it via a recruitment agency, they will have been given a salary package, so the question may be just to see how cheaply you will work for.

hi thanks for reply martin .

"Best of luck with the interview, of you got it via a recruitment agency, they will have been given a salary package, so the question may be just to see how cheaply you will work for"

and thanks for wishes , yes its with a recruitment agency but they told me think about salary package and that the boss of the company offering th job will ring me next week to arrange a meeting , do you feel this changes my standing

i am thinking of something like so say 20k basic wage + transport+fuel card/mileage +5% commisson how do that sound hours 9.30 to 5.00pm and double time for overtime.

or should i just ask the recruitment guy or would he tell me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

hi thanks for reply martin .

"Best of luck with the interview, of you got it via a recruitment agency, they will have been given a salary package, so the question may be just to see how cheaply you will work for"

and thanks for wishes , yes its with a recruitment agency but they told me think about salary package and that the boss of the company offering th job will ring me next week to arrange a meeting , do you feel this changes my standing

i am thinking of something like so say 20k basic wage + transport+fuel card/mileage +5% commisson how do that sound hours 9.30 to 5.00pm and double time for overtime.

or should i just ask the recruitment guy or would he tell me

First remember the Recruitment Agency is working for the Co. not you, its unusual that they did not discuss a salary package with you, as they are on a commission based on the salary of the new employee.
    The package you outline sounds reasonable, but forget the overtime, if there is commission, the longer hours you work, the more you earn.

How much travel do you rekon on, if its a lot, then a car, fuel card etc would be normal, but these days firms are trying it on with a fixed monthly allowance and you provide the car. that's OK if there is not much travel, but if there is a fair amount, then you may be on a looser.
    Discuss this at the Interview, before you discuss Salary, also Sales Targets, before you mention Commission.
    There may be a trial period, which if you buy a car, and it does not work, will leave you stuck.

I would ring the Agency and ask for a meeting with the guy there before you attend a formal interview, you do not have a clear picture of what they want, or are offering.

RoverJames wrote: »
    If they want to offer you the job they'll be making an offer regardless how much you say you want :) These folks are in business, they know the lie of the land. Don't ever bank on getting a pay rise down the road imo :)

Single man, no dependents, not paying into pension, no BIK....

30k - take home €480/week

35k - take home €537/week

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_IE/ie/insights/budget-2012-ireland/2012-irish-tax-calculator/index.htm

hi james ,

is commission & travel expence taxable if so how much

Advertisement