Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Democracy 2.0

• 12-04-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

I was hoping that you learned folks of After Hours could evaluate my genius idea for me.

It's become quite clear that democracy doesn't work (Mick Wallace). Here's my plan. Before every election and referendum everybody who is registered to vote has to sit an exam. This exam will test political, social and economic literacy. The people with a result in the top 20% are eligible to vote. This way we have the most informed electorate possible. Some might see this as unfair but in my opinion the ignorant have no place in making decisions for this country.

For the same reason I would propose an even more stringent examination of would be candidates for local and general elections. Details to follow at a later date.

Is there a way I could submit my proposal to the policy makers?

P.S: Don't tell Gerry Adams, no doubt he would mount opposition to this measure that would decimate the Sinn Féin vote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

A decimation means only 1/10th is eliminated mate.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

even the most intelligent can still make bad choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭dmc17

ah reckon this hyar w'd be a fantastic idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Would be curious to see the test ie. is economic literacy slavish belief in free market economics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Surely it would make more sense to have any political candidates running sit such an assessment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I was hoping that you learned folks of After Hours could evaluate my genius idea for me.

It's become quite clear that democracy doesn't work

Entire premise built on faulty idea.
    Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I suggest a poll.

Is my idea?

1.$hite
    2.fúcking retarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭dmc17

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I suggest a poll.

Is my idea?

1.$hite
    2.fúcking retarded

3. all of the above :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    It's become quite clear that democracy doesn't work.

It worked grand in 1933 Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

OP, I vote you lead the police vanguard during the riots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Anyone else feel the OP wouldn't do too well in a competency to partake in a democratic election test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Democracy only works if it's a true democracy, not the elected oligarchy most countries use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Red_Wake wrote: »
    A decimation means only 1/10th is eliminated mate.;)

Okay, you're in.

Who's next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Two issues:

1. Who sets out the criteria for the exam? Nothing to stop the scoring to be biased in one way or another.

2. The top 20% over time will become a subset of the population with the most interest in politics, the greatest ability to cram and retain facts, and the most money to pay for grinds. Democracy is designed to prevent exactly these kind of people from making decisions for everyone else.

In reality you could say that democracy already works in a semi-elitist way in that the simple act of registration is already too difficult for some of the less educated members of society.

The only problem with democracy in Ireland is that people don't understand the difference between local and national politics. We elect people to our national parliament on the basis that they'll get things done locally. A TD should never be getting involved in planning applications - that's what you elected a county councillor for! The TD is there to represent your local interests at a national level, not your local interests at a local level.

Yet gob****es still vote for the Healy-Raes on the promise that they'll get an international airport in some backwater ****hole in Kerry rather than more tangible things like, oh I dunno, "Let's get out of the economic mire".

If we drastically reduced the size of the Dail and set up rules in relation to things that TDs can and cannot stick their noses into, it would be a different type of parliament completely, and the Healy-Raes can go back to local politics where they belong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Okay, you're in.

Who's next?

Sorry to be a spelling nazi, but that should be "urine".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Democracy 2.0 appears to be very similar to Facism 2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The reason democracy doesn't work is because the people in charge (the general population) are asleep at the wheel. Elected politicians are just employees and they get nothing but conflicting demands of ignorant people that haven't the first clue what they're talking about.

Until everybody get's more involved in the running of their community's and country instead of expecting to be waited on hand and foot by media whore idiots nothing will ever change.

Advertisement