Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting a flat in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to move to Dublin in August / September and I could need some advice on finding a rental.

First, I already know where I want to find a flat, how much I want it to cost and where to look for it (daft.ie).

What I don't know is:

- When should I start really looking for it? Given that I'm currently living in Paris and that I work here with no holidays until the end of July I won't be able to come to Dublin and visit flats before Mid-August. My new school assignment begins in September.

- What can I expect in terms of quality for a 600/700€ flat with 1 bedroom (I'm living with my significant other)? Here in Paris flats are very, very expensive. It seems to be a little "cheaper" in Dublin but I can't judge the quality of flats just by viewing some pictures on the Internet.

- If I ever have the opportunity to make a deal without viewing the appartment, should I go for it? I must say I'm very reluctant to but I'd like to hear your kind advice on it.

- How difficult is it to find a place? If I go in Dublin 1 week before my new assignment starts, can I expect to to find (and live in) a appartment before assignment starts?

At last, I must say my current financial situation is not at its best so it won't be an advantage.

Sorry to all grammar nazis for my english... It is obviously not my mothertongue :)

Thanks in advance & "féach leat go luath"

Pauline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi Pauline,

There are always plenty of places available so don't worry too much about that. Honestly for €600/700 you should be able to find quite a nice apartment- it's quite different from Paris in that respect. For that sort of money you'll even be able to find something reasonable in the city centre.

As you mentioned, viewing them on the internet doesn't give you an idea of the quality and I would really advise against going for something without actually seeing it first. The place could be damp, freezing cold, right beside a dump, scrap yard or a million other things. It's always a good idea to go see the apartment and area before you commit yourself there for any length of time.

I honestly don't think you'll have much difficulty finding something quickly. I have moved many many times over the years and always found that there were plenty of empty apartments waiting for someone to move into them, so I'm certain you'll be fine.

Don't apologize for your English- it's excellent..... certainly much better than my non-existant French! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

I would agree with Hattori. I don't think you should have much problem getting a decent enough one bedroom for around 700.

That time of year (August) can be competitive for accommodation however as most students and postgraduates move to Dublin for college.
    However as you are looking for a one bedroomed place I imagine the competition wont be as fierce as most students would prob rent rooms in bigger houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

It will depend on what you mean by decent. I have recently moved into a new place and any one bedroom apartments we saw for 700 in the city center or close by suburbs were not so great. We found a nice place for €800 after bargaining a little bit. And that was the cheapest nice place we could find.

Another option is to take a double ensuite room in a big apartment sharing with someone else. There are plenty of great rooms like this on offer for €500+
    If you really want your own place then probably €700 is a bit low.

Don't take an apartment before viewing it - it is too risky. Most places are not advertised until shortly before they become available. So if you arrive late August I'm sure you can find somewhere within a week. Most places require a previous landlord and/or work reference.

www.daft.ie is the best website

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtodub

700Euro for a city apartment you'd be lucky to find something nice if I am honest.

I pay 1300 for a shared two bed near spencer dock and it's very spacious but this was particularly well priced to get me inclined to go for it.

I know of a few people who pay 850/900 for a one bed and they are pretty nice.

No I wouldn't agree with out visiting first.

Best thing you can do is find where you'll be going on a daily basis, then look how you'd get there and then look at properties in that area.

Honestly your better staying in a cheap hotel for a week and looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

hey,
    i would say it might be difficult to find exactly what your looking for in the city centre but if you look just outside the centre like the within the north and south circular roads you should have a little more luck.
    north side of the city is generally cheaper than the south but then there a few more rough spots on the north side.
    best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 newtodub

jimmymal wrote: »
    hey,
    i would say it might be difficult to find exactly what your looking for in the city centre but if you look just outside the centre like the within the north and south circular roads you should have a little more luck.
    north side of the city is generally cheaper than the south but then there a few more rough spots on the north side.
    best of luck

If you go outside the city consider transportation costs and I'm not just talking mon-fri but Taxi's home and weekends.

Add that up and you may be inclined to spend more within the City... I was... but now I want to move 20-30 Euro taxi away and drive in but then I want to buy and so that's a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Panline

Hi,

I'm at work so I don't have much time to answer but just to clarify, I will be looking for a flat in the following areas:

- Donnybrook
    - Ranelagh
    - Rathmines
    - Ballsbridge
    - Clonskeagh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn it might be difficult to get somewhere nice within your price range in those areas. By all means look and you might come across a little gem. In and around the city centre is always worth considering as while you may have to commute a little to work you tend to have lots to choose from. I'm sure the landlords would be willing to negotiate a little on the below:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1188737

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1191565

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1188344

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1189065

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Panline

Hi,

Thank you all for your answer. I'm now pretty sure of how I going to look for a flat: come and stay in cheap place a little before my assignment starts and spend my very first days in Dublin trying to convince a landlord to let me in :)

I still have a quick question about something 'weird' I notice on daft.ie (as well as on many other Irish lend/rent websites): why does the advert never mention the square meter? I France there is no advert that doesn't mention it.

Kintarō Hattori, I looked at the flat adverts you posted and wow, these flats are amazing! I would even say they are above my expectation in terms of quality, and they look very spacious and beautiful. As a matter of comparison, my SO&I currently live in a 27m² - no balconi, gaz heated - not very spacious for 2 but enough for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Panline wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you all for your answer. I'm now pretty sure of how I going to look for a flat: come and stay in cheap place a little before my assignment starts and spend my very first days in Dublin trying to convince a landlord to let me in :)

I still have a quick question about something 'weird' I notice on daft.ie (as well as on many other Irish lend/rent websites): why does the advert never mention the square meter? I France there is no advert that doesn't mention it.

Kintarō Hattori, I looked at the flat adverts you posted and wow, these flats are amazing! I would even say they are above my expectation in terms of quality, and they look very spacious and beautiful. As a matter of comparison, my SO&I currently live in a 27m² - no balconi, gaz heated - not very spacious for 2 but enough for us.

Rental properties very rarely have the size stated in Ireland. Traditionally the rental market is quite small (most people own there own properties) so there is less effort (and return) put into rental properties. Also have a look at http://www.daft.ie/shortterm/ and you get get a place for a couple of weeks/months while you look for a longer term place.

Also you will find it harder to find a place in that price range where your looking. You could consider sharing with people, you will meet new people too.

You could also consider paying a bit more in rent and living close to work, as Dublin isnt that big and depending on where your working/studying you could be within walking distance and have no transport costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Panline wrote: »
    Hi,

You should also consider Ashtown Dublin 15 (Beside Castleknock and Pheonix park)

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1192458

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1189875

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1195752

Its lovely and quiet. 5 minutes from city centre by train.

Advertisement