Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas please!!

Options
  • 12-04-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there,

Currently building a house and getting ready to start 1st fix. Just wondering has anybody got any ideas/recommendations they would like to share with me as regards the electrical side of things?!

For example a friend of mine was saying to me to wire all the rooms for a sound system so that music/radio can be heard in all the rooms if needed. He was saying that this was very cheap to do at this stage but not so cheap to put in afterwards!

Just wondering if anyone else had some words of wisdom for me!

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I put 5A lamp sockets around the reception rooms which are switched from the door.
    Should have done the same in the master bedroom.
    Should have wired for under cabinet lights in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

devi-mat under tiles en-suite
    keeps them toes cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Have sockets near your windows for christmas lights and an outside socket aswell.

Go easy on the spots, the bulbs are a fortune to replace and when one goes 3 seem to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Put a socket where you will charge your phone. A kitchen counter isn't always ideal when you're coking.
    USB sockets look cool and are easy to do.
    Automatic or remote controlled lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Outdoor lighting can be nice but (apart from security and utility lighting) it's mostly a waste of time, in the summer when you want to be outside it doesn't get dark until it's time to go in and in the winter you can look out at your cut back half bald garden but it's too cold to spend any time out there.

A charge bar for phones & Ipods somewhere handy like near the coat stand and another charge bar somewhere back of house for power tools.

Keep an eye on your fixed lighting wattage, electricity is only going to get more expensive, consider quality LEDs or T5 fluorescents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cat 6 to each tv point. Run back to central hub. Wired for surround sound. Ceiling speakers, hdmi cables all running back to central hub. GPRS relay controller to consumer unit allowing you to control things remotely. Outdoor ip webcams running back to ventral hub.
    Mains to each corner of Windows allowing for motor for curtains. Different zone lighting allowing for different moods.

Advertisement