Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge Protectors are they really needed or a scam?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I have been in the same house for near 15 years now and never once had an electrical device blow. What is the story with surge protectors? I have never even had a fuse blow out of the ordinary! My power seems fine. I have invested in an expensive tv and laptop so im thinking would it be wise to get a few of these devices or waste of time?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have been in the same house for near 15 years now and never once had an electrical device blow. What is the story with surge protectors? I have never even had a fuse blow out of the ordinary! My power seems fine. I have invested in an expensive tv and laptop so im thinking would it be wise to get a few of these devices or waste of time?

Why do you need car insurance???

Just incase.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

you can get a main surge protector connected to your distribution board to protect the whole installation

as paddy147 says
    "just in case"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

Considering what they protect they are great value. With all the high cost electronics in a house now I'd say get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

meercat wrote: »
    you can get a main surge protector connected to your distribution board to protect the whole installation

as paddy147 says
    "just in case"

Ah ok cool grand i thought surgess were if you were in a specific area or summit like an apartment block,
    Might you know how much a mains surge protector would be? Is it placed in the meter box outside or in the hallway with the fusebox?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It's placed in your fuseboard
    Can't say offhand how much it is but a registered contractor should quote you for supply and fit

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    It's placed in your fuseboard
    Can't say offhand how much it is but a registered contractor should quote you for supply and fit

ah cool I was thinking it might be a big dirty looking transformer thing. So it places neatly inside the Fuseboard like one of the trip switches?
    Cheers for the info lads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rasmus wrote: »
    Only if they are the new breed of surge protectors.
    Most I have seen are just a multiplug trailing lead with a surge protector built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Only if they are the new breed of surge protectors.
    Most I have seen are just a multiplug trailing lead with a surge protector built in.

The ones with built in protectors (not plugboards) don't count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They're more of an issue in places where voltage variations are common.
    In general, Ireland seems to have very stable voltage, certainly in urban areas and small towns. You might get some issues way out in the country with low voltage but, ESB networks will usually sort it out and brownout and spikes are relatively rare.

In the US we had equipment fried a few times due to spikes and brownouts (periods of low voltage.) weren't unusual. That was in suburban Boston so you invested in surge protection!

Also, in the UK in the past power was distributed at 240V rather than 220V as in Ireland and other EU countries. Equipment is generally designed for 220—240V so, a spike in Ireland or France might be within that band, where as in Britain it might go beyond what an appliance could cope with as the supply voltage is at the high end of the tolerated range anyway.

Nominally, everything in Europe is now 230V but, some supplies are still 220V or 240V in the UK which makes the UK a bit more spike prone.

Also, countries with high air conditioning loads tend to be riskier, so as you head to southern European during a hot summer you are potentially going to see more voltage fluctuations than in misty Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Lightning strikes to cabling can also cause surges.

Yeah Ill definitly invest in a fuseboard surge protector to protect the full household items. ;)
    thanks for the deluge of info very interesting folks

Aha I think i know why my tv didnt blow.. Would i be right in saying this is a Surge Protector in the Fuse box?
    Has a flick switch like a normal trip and also like a push in button

Says:

SIEMENS
    5SM1316-0
    RCCB
    63A
    30MA
    800A
    UN 125...230V
    100A

Are they fitted as standard to fuse boxes in houses and apartments or did the previous owner fit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Aha I think i know why my tv didnt blow.. Would i be right in saying this is a Surge Protector in the Fuse box?
    Has a flick switch like a normal trip and also like a push in button

Says:

SIEMENS
    5SM1316-0
    RCCB
    63A
    30MA
    800A
    UN 125...230V
    100A

Are they fitted as standard to fuse boxes in houses and apartments or did the previous owner fit it?

no it's an rcd

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Advertisement