Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medications...

• 12-04-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

I just spent 95 euro for 4 boxes of anti histamines....I'm a student. the pharmacist smiled apologetically and gave me a whole euro off as she watched me tip the contents of my purse onto the counter....Won't be eating for the week. wehaaaay....Entitled to a medical card? you must be joking..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

What is the name of actual drug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭pipkin12

singulair 28 tablets x 10mg, Zirtek are about 5 euro a box anyway and then ucerax....2 boxes..

I would just like to point out, that a website selling drugs online (requires you to send them a prescription) is selling Ucerax by the box for 8p......as in 8 PENCE...........i just forked out an obscene amount of cash for something that is 8P online????? Im bloody well emigrating first chance i get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

pipkin12 wrote: »
    I just spent 95 euro for 4 boxes of anti histamines....I'm a student. the pharmacist smiled apologetically and gave me a whole euro off as she watched me tip the contents of my purse onto the counter....Won't be eating for the week. wehaaaay....Entitled to a medical card? you must be joking..

Couple of q's
    why do you need 4 boxes in one go?

why do you need that particular brand?

did a doc prescribe them? - if so ask him/her to prescribe a generic tab.

You can get jars of 300 generic anti histimines for about $15 - also great as sleep aids for anyone with a snoring partner!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I would just like to point out, that a website selling drugs online (requires you to send them a prescription) is selling Ucerax by the box for 8p......as in 8 PENCE...........i just forked out an obscene amount of cash for something that is 8P online????? Im bloody well emigrating first chance i get...
    You'd be mad to buy medication online.

• Advertisement

Need 4 boxes due to the high dosages I'm on. This Is what he prescribed because I'm suffering so badly and even 6 pills 4 times daily is barely keeping symptoms at bay. Yeah thought I'd e mad buying online but when I'm literally broke anyway and you see that kinda of thing it's tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's a way around that, know anyone going abroad or even up North? Much much cheaper especially in countries like Spain. Do you have to combine small amounts to make up your dosage? Ie. 4 tablets of 25mg instead of one 100mg. If this is what is driving up the price and your chemist doesn't have the larger dose, ask them to order it in for you if you need to buy it again. Or try bigger pharmacies, like Boots and other chains. Also ask for a generic brand if you need to buy again, whether or not you're using small dosages to make up yours- it will be cheaper with a generic.

Also some pharmacies do student discounts. Boots do, but independent ones near colleges/universities usually do also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Is that on chemistdirect? cos there pricing seems to be PER TABLET

Pretty sure the singulair will have been the main contributor to your bill (also fyi it isnt an antihistamine)

singulair 28 tablets x 10mg, Zirtek are about 5 euro a box anyway and then ucerax....2 boxes..

singulair are an expensive drug in many places

28 x 4mg is £33 in uk, the 10mg is £55, in the USA, the 10mg is $78, so my guess is this alone is about €70 of the bill

Ucerax and Zirtek are relativey cheap over the counter drugs and probably combined were less than €25

So unless you don't need the Singulair, you don't really have a choice in the pricing.

Indeed it seems that way. Just gonna have to suck it up I suppose. No way out if singulair either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Shop around. There was an article in the newspaper (can't remember which one) recently that found that since Tesco opened a chemist shop in Naas, most of the local chemists around have reduced their prices considerably.

Singulair is mad expensive. Had to buy a box for the child recently, 63 euros, I almost had a fist at the counter. That and Becotide and Ventolin, the single prescription was 80 odd euros.
    But it's peanuts compared to what we forked out at the clinic to have the child tested. 360 euros, there won't be any outings for a long while :eek:

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Shop around. There was an article in the newspaper (can't remember which one) recently that found that since Tesco opened a chemist shop in Naas, most of the local chemists around have reduced their prices considerably.

Singulair is mad expensive. Had to buy a box for the child recently, 63 euros, I almost had a fist at the counter. That and Becotide and Ventolin, the single prescription was 80 odd euros.
    But it's peanuts compared to what we forked out at the clinic to have the child tested. 360 euros, there won't be any outings for a long while :eek:

Same...I've been trying to cover as much as I can by myself but only job for a non driving student is the occasional babysitting. Of which is all spent on medications and consultant fees. Estimates we have spent well over 800 euro in the last 5 months trying to get it under control..off to cork now for the public appointment which I've waited 4 months for. An that's the earlier emergency appointment they had.. :( hopefully he can cut my medications though and my bills with it!

Same...I've been trying to cover as much as I can by myself but only job for a non driving student is the occasional babysitting. Of which is all spent on medications and consultant fees. Estimates we have spent well over 800 euro in the last 5 months trying to get it under control..off to cork now for the public appointment which I've waited 4 months for. An that's the earlier emergency appointment they had.. :( hopefully he can cut my medications though and my bills with it!

Personal question - are you under 23?
    Another personal question - do you mum / dad or any other members of the family have prescriptions?

If so, the drug repayment scheme could possibly by an option.

This is something people forget about the Irish system - if you have a need for high priced medication (heart drugs etc), you (entire family) still will only pay €132/month and I can assure you from family experience, it is one hell of a relief to know this / have this safety net.

What is the Drugs Payment Scheme?
    Under the Drugs Payment Scheme, an individual or family in Ireland only has to pay €132 each month for approved prescribed drugs, medicines and certain appliances for use by that person or his or her family in that month. The amount is determined from time to time by the Minister for Health and Children. If you have a GP Visit Card or do not have a Medical Card you should apply for a Drugs Payment Scheme Card.
    This scheme is aimed at those who don't have a Medical Card and normally have to pay the full cost of their medication. It also applies to those who have a GP Visit Card. Anyone ordinarily resident in Ireland can apply to join the scheme, regardless of family, financial circumstances or nationality. Being ordinarily resident in Ireland means that you have been living here for a minimum of one year or that you intend to live here for a minimum of one year.

The definition of a family for this Scheme, is an adult, their spouse, and any children under 18 years. Dependents over 18 years and under 23 years who are in full time education may also be included. Everyone ordinarily resident in Ireland without a Medical Card should have a Drugs Payment Scheme Card.
    How Much do I Pay?
    You will not pay more than €132 for all your prescribed approved medication each calendar month. This maximum amount is subject to review by the Government from time to time. You must present your card each time you attend the pharmacy before a prescription can be dispensed. For details of the maximum amount please refer to the Drugs Payment Scheme and Medical Card rates leaflet. There are a number of items that legally do not require a prescription but for inclusion under the scheme they do require a doctor's prescription.
    How do I Qualify?
    You must be ordinarily resident in Ireland and hold a PPSN. There is no means test for the Drugs Payment Scheme.

How do I Apply?
    Click on the links on this page to download the application form in english or irish,or get a form from your pharmacy

Yeah already got my own one. Still maxing it out each month depending on the new prescriptions. Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I must say the drug scheme prescription is great. Last month, after paying the 80 euros, I had only to pay another 52 for various prescriptions and the rest went free. Considering that my own medication alone is 72 euros (and that's the generic form), it was a big save.

4 months, that's not too bad. The reason we went private was because the appointment wasn't before another 15 months :(

I just hope that Tesco will open new chemist stores everywhere in the country to boost the competition. If independent chemists could lower their prices in Naas, they will be able to do it everywhere. I'd rather shop at my local chemist, but they need to be competitive, my loyalty and my wallet don't agree with each other

One thing most people also forget is that all prescriptions are tax deductable as are all visits to doctor / dentist.

Fill the tax rebate form in at the end of every year and the cheque arrives in the post a few weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I have a lot of unused inhalers never used ,Ventolin evohaler 100 micrograms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

sandin wrote: »
    One thing most people also forget is that all prescriptions are tax deductable as are all visits to doctor / dentist.

Fill the tax rebate form in at the end of every year and the cheque arrives in the post a few weeks later.

Also as the OP is a student, if the highest earning parent was to pay then that parent could claim 20% back on the bills at the end of the year which at €132 per month could be 132x12x20/100 = €316.80 back in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abigail4

barney4001 wrote: »
    I have a lot of unused inhalers never used ,Ventolin evohaler 100 micrograms
    Just wondering if you got my message thanks.

Advertisement