Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about UPC broadband shenanigans

• 12-04-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm wondering can anybody here help me out with some issues my freind is having getting UPC broadband in dublin.

She's being told by UPC that she can't get broadband at her address but can get UPC television and whatnot. However, she is part a of terraced block of houses and a house only two buildings down (maybe 25-35 meters) can get UPC broadband. This is according to UPC themselves and according to their online database. Now, I suspect myself from various things that their database is wrong as if one building can get broadband surely all of them in the same block can. It can't be any more compliated that stringing a coaxial cable under the rooftops from the house that can get internet to the ones the can't. But perhaps I'm wrong.

What I'm enquring about, if anyone thinks they might know a thing or two about it.. Is there any technical reason at all why somone could get UPC broadband in one house and a house that's part of the same block of houses two houses down could not?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > Broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've heard tell of some housing estates where one neighbour wouldn't let the cable cross by their house and thus that's as far as the cable could go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cork Wifi

Sometimes as Slydice mentioned the cable is stopped by a property owner refusing permission for the cable to pass their property. In this scenario cable may not be attached to your building and they are offering you tv via MMDS (arial on the roof) as opposed to cable.

Other issues can be as you suggested yourself that the database that UPC employees use to determine what services are available to you are not updated and have to be released before you are eligible to receive them.

if you like PM me the physical address and I will look into it for you.

Advertisement