Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing rhubarb

Options
  • 12-04-2012 7:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

how do you go about growing rhubarb. any good advice. anything special you need. have access to loads of dung

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

On a blind trial by the RHS, the best variety for taste is "timperley early".

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

how do you go about growing rhubarb. any good advice. anything special you need. have access to loads of dung

I have had rhubarb in only a few years and from what I can see it can look after itself, I mixed well rotted horse manure with the soil before planting the roots and that was that..its thriving.
    Before the cold winter sets in we just covered the heads with more manure to give it some protection.

I have read some where to remove any flowering stalks you see, I have yet to find any on my plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

moceri wrote: »
    On a blind trial by the RHS, the best variety for taste is "timperley early".

This is the variety I have, actually got my roots from Lidl..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Harvested my first rhubarb on Paddies Day, I cover some with a black plastic tent to get forced rhubarb, pale pink white flesh and much less tart than the later rhubarb.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Buy rhubarb crowns from a shop, they practically everywhere at this time of year.
    Dig a hole a fair bit bigger than what is actually needed for the crown and put some dung in it, mixing it in with the soil. Then put the crown in making sure the top of it is slightly sticking out of the ground and fill in the hole.

Then just wait.

I planted Timperley Early this year and it's done quite well so far, 3 leaves and stalks and it didn't need much attention.
    I moved it into a large plant pot though and it was in full sun and it wilted and didn't seem to like it. So I put it back around the back of the shed in the shade, it seems to prefer partial shade and soon started thriving again.

Remember not to eat the leaves since they're poisonous. Also, most people recommend you don't use the first years growth so that the plant has time to strengthen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone find their rhubarb slow this year?

was told its due to the mild winter..lack of frost

Advertisement