Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard IT/Computing courses

Options
  • 12-04-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I am thinking about going back to study IT (part-time ideally) in the autumn and am weighing up the options. I don't have a background in IT. has anyone done any of the Springboard courses - IT conversion courses/diplomas? How did you find them, how would they compare to similar fee paying courses in terms of depth, difficulty etc?

As I understand it the Graduate Diploma in Information Technology in DCU is quite good and covers java, php, javascript, databases, html among other things, although I've seen mixed reports about how well equipped graduates are for the IT job's market. Griffith College Runs a similar course but I suspect it's probably not as good.

Any thoughts or insights on any of these courses welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 manunited99

Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for the H.Dip in Software Development in UL, starting this September. Its covered under this ICT Skills initiative so the fees are waived. I am currently working in the UK but would give up my job and move home if I got accepted into the course.

My question is as follows. Would I be eligible to apply for Jobseekers Allowance while completing this course? I know that those people already claiming JSA are entitled to keep this allowance.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Hey guys, I am just about to finish the springboard IT course in UCD next month. Overall i found it to be brilliant but more of a foundation for qualifying in IT as there is a limit to the amount of modules that you can undertake.

@manunited99: It would depend on the course but if it's the springboard initiative you keep the jobseekers allowance. I can't really offer you any more advice than that!

@Valdues: My background was in marketing but I was pretty good with computers prior to starting the course however it would depend on the modules you chose. However you can discuss this with your module co-ordinator when you sign up. I don't have any other information as regards other courses as this was the only one i done.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Vodalus

Thanks for that Laika1986 :-)

Advertisement