Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from 60 min 10k to half marathon in 5 months

Options
  • 12-04-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Decided to get myself in gear and stop messing around with jogging/running/not jogging/not running.

Did a 10k last weekend in Ballybunion in a very unhappy state in 57 min something, and that was not my goal at all.Had to walk sections of it and let my head get the better of me.
    Lets see if this boards lark keeps me focused and I've decided today on a target of Charleville Half in Sept.

12th April 8 miles-Flat course

1st 4 miles @12min pace
    next 2 miles@ 10 min pace
    last 2 miles @ 9 min pace

He who dares wins!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

vital statistics
    Male
    just shy of 38
    14 stone 5lbs

Today
    4 miles in 34min 40sec.
    Avg 8min 40 sec

A few thoughts
    1. why with my wife being a physio do I ignore all good advice on stretching etc.(I'm sure if I had to pay for advice and treatment I would be a much more disciplined runner!) must be a medical name for this.
    2. why with a twinge in my left knee today did I quite enjoy the pain.like someone pushing their elbow into my kneecap-without the pain being sore, but yet worrying.must be a medical name for this.
    3. why after 3 miles of today's jog and being quite tired, did the first drop of rain lift my spirts and my energy.its not as if I wanted it to rain, but when it did I was like an insect in the Sahara getting a new lease of life with the rain falling.Brought me back to when I was a kid in france at the age of 6 or 7 and loving swimming in the rain.must be a medical name for this.
    4. why do I feel after psyching myself up to get fit and start doing a few races, do I feel the need to reward myself with a bottle of wine last night after the 8 mile jog, and same seems to be taking place tonight.what a waste--well, actually no.it tastes all the sweeter!
    until tomorrow.:)

Don't you just love Saturdays.

up early-ish.
    egg, sausages, rasher and pudding-3 mugs of Tea to cover the boldness of last nights wine.

then an hour later , out the gap for a 6 mile jog.
    6 miles
    55 mins 25 sec.
    Avg 9min 14 sec

A bit windy , but great do get out 3 days in a row.As I noted in my first post, its all or nothing with me and hopefully this time around "its the all".

thought for the day.
    why do I seem to constantly hum the most ridiculous songs/childrens tunes whilst jogging.This might be because they are in timing with my foot stike or something -but todays one of all was - the runaway train came down the track, and it blew...... !

felt like a steam train the panting that i was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

why do I seem to constantly hum the most ridiculous songs/childrens tunes whilst jogging.This might be because they are in timing with my foot stike or something -but todays one of all was - the runaway train came down the track, and it blew...... !

Snap. If I don't have the headphones on, my brain will rummage around in my distant memories and bring up some nonsense to match the rhythm!

Well done with the log and the running, keep it up!

Nice slow jog on a clear sunny day

4 miles in 37 min 8 sec
    avg 9min 17sec

this felt nice, and knee felt alot better than yesteday.Was going to take a rest day today, but then thought why not just do a slow jog, it can't do any harm.
    will jog for another week or two before maybe following a training plan, as otherwise I'll just keep jogging 4 to 8 miles, 3 to 4 times a week without any structure.

must watch my food and drink intake now , as im a terror

when is closing date for the olympic qualifying A standard........

6 miles- 51min 54 sec.
    Avg 8 min 39sec

it just goes to show how much performance is mental as much as physical.I knew seting off ......with the rain falling, that I was going to enjoy this jog(and really should have been taking a rest day, not that my mileage is high or anything) but again said to myself "surely its good for the body to see that this jogging is here to stay, so get used to it and be prepared.

I wonder could i buy one of those small umbrellas that sit on your head to keep the sun off-except tailor it slightly..... to drop rain on me every mile or so during the summer months.I'm sure id be the better for it.

• Advertisement

Day 6 Rest
    Day 7 Rest

So I was hoping to keep ticking over a little , but the 28 miles in 5 days was a bit silly I suppose when starting off, although in my defense they were slow.

Feel fine but don't want to get injured, so will wait until tomorrow to get another jog in.
    will do up a plan then this weekend , and will try to stick to it.
    would have loved to get 5 miles in today, but alas was not to be.

Day 8

2 miles in 17min 10 sec
    avg 8min 35sec

just a quick jog to get the blood flowing.Legs a bit weary.

going to do a 10K on Sunday as a base marker so didn't want to push it for too long.
    Warm this evening.

Day 9 Friday

My Garmin is banjacksed at present and is about to be put in the post.
    I've just realised that I have been running more comfortably of late without being obsessed with splits.

But last night I missed the watch.
    There was a local 5k on , which I didn't intend to run , but decided it would be fun to set a time.
    I arrived about a half hour before to register, to find a sizeable crowd already there and asked someone where the route was.I was told to turn around and look at the hill behind me, where a red house could be seen in the distance.It was up the house and back down to the starting point again in a loop.(boy was I a little bit dreading it as I haven't done any hill training yet.)

Off we go (a very quietly spoken ready steady go ) and I had positioned myself infront of the youngsters/walkers, but made sure anyone in a singlet was infront of me.I wouldn't like to be in the way.
    first mile was a slight incline , and this meant that although no-one passed me, I was feeling it, and made sure to not push too hard-probably an 8 min 30 sec mile, but who knows., then a flat bit for 500 metres or so where I passed a few.I'm always surprised and encouraged to see 50 to 60 year olds running at a good pace-better than me!

Then the hill came, I knew I would struggle here, so I just kept looking at the ground and didn't want to be passed.I heard a panting behind me halfway up and it was a girl all in black , motoring at a nice pace.tried to tag long with her but no hope--although at the top of the hill I saw her catch up to a mate of hers and she didn't pucsh on.
    we had approx 2 miles done, and it was all downhill from here.i felt delighted and energised that the hard part was over, and could see the finish down the hill over my right shoulder.

right, put the boot down(well in my case try to increase the stride without swallowing a lung) breathing was laboured as I went out of the comfort zone.

But I quickly caught the two girls in front and had two lads in sight as my target.I caught one with a half mile o go.we were on a flat section here to the finish>the wind was in our face a bit which was a bit of extra effort also.I then heard footsteps behind and it was the girl in black who I was very surprised caught up with me again.She must have had me as a target to aim for as when she caught up she didn't pass.We ran together for a minute or 2 , and I know she appreciated it , as I did too.I should try to jog with someone in races more, rather than be a loner!:)

We passed one of the lads ,and the singlet guy saw me and he upped the pace to move ahead.suddenly he was 10 yards ahead.I said come on lets catch him , but she couldn't push on.I mustered up a sprint to catch him and realised I should have gone earlier, as the legs felt strong(ish) for some reason.

couldn't catch him as the line came to fast, but decided to shout to him " "I have you".What a stupid thing to say.My dad would say it to me(us)as kids when doing swimming races or whatever type of race we were in .

anyway crossed the line, in (no watch , no time) and then realised that my number was in my hand scrunched up.This was due to a safety pin giving way halfway through the race, and although I fixed it , it broke again.I only had two on top and one on the bottom starting off.It was a fun run afterall , and they weren't plentiful.
    So with the flapping around annoying me , i decided to whip it off and hold it.

When I crossed the line I opened it and lay it on my leg-whilst bent over and tring to catch my breath.but alas I don't think I'll ever know the time.

My fault , I should have ran with my phone probably, and was very happy with the last mile, and feel it could have been a 7.20min mile or better.

drank a bottle of water, could smell the burgers being cooked , but headed home .then a moment of madness, parked up a mile from home, and went for cool down jog.Legs were stiff, and managed a mile, and then decided I have just done a race-don't be a martyr-get home and get showered.

happy out with myself-annoyed that I don't know the time, but there's a 10K I originally had planned to do tomorrow, and guess what-I'm going to do it-phone an all!

coffee time-(whilst watching cBeebies with the kids............the two year old is sucking on a key he must have got out of a door,I'll be in trouble.)

I was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

vital statistics
    [*]why do I feel after psyching myself up to get fit and start doing a few races, do I feel the need to reward myself with a bottle of wine last night after the 8 mile jog, and same seems to be taking place tonight.what a waste--well, actually no.it tastes all the sweeter!
    [/LIST]until tomorrow.:)

Meh, everything in modaration. Nothing wrong with a few drinks the evening after a hard session.

Best of luck with the log.

day 10 Saturday-rest
    day 11 Sunday 10k.

10k-55min xxsec

hilly route and finished in anout 20th place.
    enjoyed it and was very well organised for a fun run 10k.

started off slow enough ,as I knew this was a difficult course.
    Was passed by about 4 over the whole course, and passed aporx 6 or 7 , so more than happy.
    time was irrelevant as I was using it as a training run -with hills.

• Advertisement

this is where it falls apart.
    work was tough this week.
    Mon rest
    Tues rest
    Weds rest

Thursday 6 miles - 53 min 48 sec

Funny with splits, as my Garmin is in being fixed, had to use my phone.

I know my mile markers from the last few months, and when I checked the watch at each marker , here are the splits.

out and back course very flat

Mile 1 9 minutes flat
    Mile 2 9 minutes flat
    Mile 3 9 minutes flat
    Mile 4 9 minutes 7 seconds
    Mile 5 9 minutes 1 sec
    Mile 6 8 minutes 40 sec(decided to push on a little)

I was freaked after the 1st 3 miles.not a second either way , and although I was running relaxed and am good at keeping a steady slow stride I didn't expect to be like a metronome??

tweeked my hamstring, due to being too lazy to stretch.need to improve my discipline.

Saturday 28th 6pm

6 miles-usual flat route
    1st 3 miles at 9min 30 pace
    and mile 4 and 5, at 9 min pace.

Then , with the wind behind me, I decided to push on for the last mile.
    Legs were grand, its usually the lungs who give me the trouble, but not this evening.
    I stopped the phones "stopwatch" , and last mile was a 7min 32 second one.Delighted that I pushed on when I did, as I was just going to finish with another slow mile.

badly need a plan, as I'm jogging with no real goal or structure.not bored at all , but need to mix it up

Sunday 29th

4 miles recovery.37 minutes

1st 9 min 20
    2nd 9 min 15
    3rd 9 min 10
    4th 9 min 15

Legs were tired.Strange how just 1 mile at fast pace on Saturday took it out of my legs.The 9 min miles were comfortable, but to even bring that down to 8.30 pace would have been very difficult.

Hope to do an 8 mile jog in the morning early before work, if I can get myself out of bed at 6 or 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey!! Good luck with this log and your training for your half marathon. Will you be using a training plan for your half marathon? I used one for my first (and only to date) marathon and it definitely helped bring structure and discipline to my training, not to mention improvement in time. I will look forward to following your progress and to reading your hilarious posts. :)

thanks Dory.

This is not going to plan.(not that I have one yet)

so far since lats Sunday I have done the sub-total of

0 miles.

Not a happy camper!

Ive been up the walls at work , and have only just arrived home.Saw a few runners out in a town I went through 30 minutes ago, and really was jealous that I didn't get any miles in since Sunday last.
    Anyway , the weekend is yet to come , and im primed and ready.

Thoughts of aiming for the Dublin City Marathon are going through my head, but if work like this weeks ,gets in my way , maybe I'm better off sticking to doing a half this year.

here's hoping I get home at 5pm tomorrow and get 5 to 7 miles in.

I never thought I could be so free eee eeee........

Not a good week.
    The wheels have come off this thread.
    I'm burnt out emotionally and physically.
    I should have been out doing 8 slow miles, but I had 8 slow pints of heineken instead whilst watching the FA Cup.then wine.

tomorrow is make or break.If I jog ,I'l continue this log and posts on how i achieve my goal.If I don't make it out,I'll not be posting again.

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Hey, started running last March myself, had a little aim of the Marathon last year too but i'd advise you putting that off until next year. Probably putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I didnt bother with it and just did the Half.

Sign up to the Dublin Race series this year if you can. 5mile, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon. I loved these last year. As said above get yourself a training programme, Hal Higdon has good Half marathon one's.

Found my motivation very low until i got myself a programme and that gave me the kick i needed.

Good luck anyway and keep it up.

I totally agree with jester above regarding goals, races, training. And just because you have had a bad week (or two) and haven't run for a week (or two), that does not mean you shouldn't still have aspirations to run/jog/log/race/train. We all have weeks where things don't come together, but get out there when you can and log when you can.....and alter your goals and expectations as needed. But just don't ever give up.

Agreed.and thanks for sound advice.Might give the tought of marathon training a skip.
    I'm not sure would I have the time needed, or base training for it.

Did a 6 mile jog today.56min 30sec

5 miles warm up really and 1 mile run.Last mile was an 8min 20sec mile, and wasn't really pushing it.enjoyed the run, even if last nights drink was pooring out through me.At one stage the salt in my eyes was unbearable.I wonder how other runners combat salty sweat going into ones eyes?

back on the road to the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

5 miles warm up really and 1 mile run.Last mile was an 8min 20sec mile, and wasn't really pushing it.enjoyed the run, even if last nights drink was pooring out through me.At one stage the salt in my eyes was unbearable.I wonder how other runners combat salty sweat going into ones eyes?

back on the road to the half.

Well done on getting back out there. I too have found running time very hard to come by in recent weeks. Not fun!

As for salty sweat, I wear a thin wool hat which soaks it up. I'm not sure how practical this is with summer coming up (apparently!)

• Advertisement

My 2 year old was singing this to me as I left this morning to go for a gallop.

it stuck in my head for the whole distance and kept a smile on my face.

Also had great motivation just before I left, as I
    1. Watched a clip of Bolt doing the fastest 100 of the year.
    2. Read Dory Dory's blog for a good hour this morning before I left.She's a legend!
    did 6 nice slow miles in 59 min 45 sec.

A few things that differ between me and other runners
    • I don't have a problem choosing what type of runner to use---I only have one pair
    • I don't have a problem running slow---its running fast is the issue.
    • A nice Chablis is less stingy on the eyes than Heineken is.Todays run was proof of that:) (the 2 year old calls these smilies "ladybirds" when he points to them on the screen)
    I suppose one will allow him to make that mistake.Now the 4 year old-i wouldn't let her get away with it today-she woke me at 6.45am and was dressed an all.

Must make a plan, must make a plan, must make a plan.

ONLY an hour reading my blog??!! ;)

Funny boy.....you find yourself a half marathon plan and you will do well. I'm sure you can google one - I like the FIRST plan and it might be a good fit for you since it only requires three runs a week with recommended easy runs and/or cross training other days. I've also heard very good things about Hal Higdon, and I think there's another plan (?) called P&D (?). A plan is great because it gives you structure, focus, and quality sessions (versus crap sessions over and over again)....BUT, if you miss a session, DON'T beat yourself up. No biggie. Just pick it back up. :)

Nothing of note today.

Rest day, with one piece of good news though.

That banjacksed Garmin 305 has just arrived back from the factory in the Uk with a big "refurbished" sticker on the front.
    Doesn't look at all like the one I sent in to be fixed a week ago as
    • I had sent in one with the holes made larger at the back of unit(using a safety pin), to clean out what I thought might be blocking the sound.Turns out that my sweat probably coroded the inside, in less than 6 months!
    • I had sent in one with a different strap.
    • Screen looks spotless on this one--mine looked slightly used.
    • So, not only have I got the Garmin back, working, but the Beeps which I was wiling to do without, are back aswell.
    Happy days.Fair dues to Garmin, and there I was a week ago cursing them.

Now, lets see what I can knock out tomorrow morning.
    Have a 10k planned this weekend, so I won't push took hard.

Waiting on the formation of the half marathon plan, as I've still time before most plans kick in.

Nice evening for a jog.

Misty, rainy,cool and dampish.My type of heaven, except when I have swimmimng togs on, when I like it a few degrees higher!

changed my Garmin to Km's.

Decided if races are in Km's, I should train in Km's
    5K in 24 min 45 sec.
    Avg 4min 57 sec

Happy days.:)
    Now this was close to race pace for me for 5k.I would have kept it up for another Km or two, but then would have collapsed either onto the road or into the water.Not an ideal outcome either side of the footpath, so I played it safe and stopped at 5k.
    Had a belly full of food and a glass of wine beforehand and two slices of cake.So that wasn't ideal.

anyway great for confidence that the longer 6 mile runs at a slower pace pay off

Saturday. 10k Race.

Did a local race Saturday.57min 30 sec.

This was only 15 sec quicker than the last 10K race I did.
    Althought the course had the same level of difficulty, with a good few hills, I did it alot more relaxed and could have pushed harder in hindsight.

Anyway , due to the lack of a good improvement on time, there is no point in my moving on further to the half, until this 10k time becomes more respectable(ie 50 min)

I will do another 10k race this weekend. and mark my words--it better be a good minute or 2 faster.

Monday
    4.5 miles in 40 minutes

Tuesday
    6.2 miles. usual flat course 57 min 49sec.
    enjoyed this.Was a lovely sunny evening, wind in my back Starting off.Saluted everyone i passed along the way.again ,could have pushed on a bit but wasenjoying it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

when is closing date for the olympic qualifying A standard........

6 miles- 51min 54 sec.
    Avg 8 min 39sec.

jaysus..thats some improvement in a week, well done, looking forward to reading the rest of it, only on this post now

Hopefully rest is as important for the body as I read about every day.

Reason being,I'm very good at it!

Haven't ran since Tuesday, and with a race planned for tomorrow,I'm unsure whether I'll manage to get out today either.I'm on duty with the two small one's,so we'll see later in the day.But then I have the Heineken Cup final to watch, and the Champions League final.

looking forward to posting a PB tomorrow.(even if I have a rough cough at the mo):(

My aim is somewhere around 56 mins. Although if the course is fast I can string 3 or 4 eight minute miles together, its the next 2.2 miles is the issue.

Plan is to start off at 8min 30 miles for the first 4miles,and then push on as best I can.

Anyway, until then its a mix of Fireman Sam,Milly Molly, rowing on Eurosport,more fireman Sam, and Backyardigans, some of stage 14 of the Giro where they enter the mountains, rugby,some colouring, and games where I end up always last(or hurt).

no drink today.Not a drop.and I enjoy a drink on a Saturday.

Must post a good 10k PB tomorrow.Must must must.Its all I can think about.

A Demain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good luck in the race tmrw... reckon you'll do sub 55 mins.. if you are doing nothing today I'd advise a good long warm up tomorrow and loads of stretches, otherwise try get out for 15 mins today just to wake up the legs and again loads of stretching!! is it the mungret 10k your doing tmrw??

Thanks Trig,
    No, hopefully going to head to Youghal for the Emer Casey Foundation 10k race.Course seems to be one for a good PB.

Especially as the 10K's I have done so far have long hills/drags in them.
    And the fun 10K in Rosscarbery a few months back(55 min...) wasn't really a 10K....more like a 6 miler.
    I might head out for 30 min afterall today, before Ulster cause an upset!

• Advertisement

didn't even get a walk in yesterday.too much sport on TV and too much minding kids with chest infections.

so today's plan is , watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt7z5aQSpeA&feature=player_detailpage

and then head for the 10k race

Advertisement