Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands cruel greyhound Industry

• 12-04-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Six greyhound carcasses found dumped in a quarry in Limerick.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0412/gardai-investigate-greyhound-deaths-in-co-limerick.html
    It is believed the dogs, found in Ballyagran, were shot in the head.
    Racing greyhounds are required to have an identifying tattoo in each ear and some of those were still legible.
    The Irish Greyhound Board, Bord na gCon, says it has identified two owners and is working with gardaí to bring the offenders to justice.
    Bord na gCon Welfare Officer Barry Coleman said the killing of the dogs contravened the new Greyhound Welfare Bill.
    The Greyhound Rescue Association of Ireland said that there were nearly 3,500 registered greyhound litters in Ireland last year, and that up to 10,000 disappear every year in this country.
    The GRAI says these dogs make ideal family pets and do not need to die.
    Bord na gCon is urging owners to keep or re-home retired racing greyhounds, and is working with the Irish Kennel Club to put a number of initiatives in place.

This isnt the first time either. The greyhound breeding industry in Ireland has a history of putting down dogs who are no longer useful to the industyr. I know not all greyhound racers are like this but there are too many in Ireland that are like this. I know there are people who out down a greyhound because it doesnt live up to expectations or its no longer useful for breeding. Can these people who view greyhounds as a commodity be considered dog lovers?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Woof, woof woof woof.

Woof woof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

FYP
    That's Woof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Six greyhound carcasses found dumped in a quarry in Limerick.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0412/gardai-investigate-greyhound-deaths-in-co-limerick.html

This isnt the first time either. The greyhound breeding industry in Ireland has a history of putting down dogs who are no longer useful to the industyr. I know not all greyhound racers are like this but there are too many in Ireland that are like this. I know there are people who out down a greyhound because it doesnt live up to expectations or its no longer useful for breeding. Can these people who view greyhounds as a comodity be considered dog lovers?

I lol'd
    Im lying Im stlill laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

IM0 wrote: »
    I lol'd
    Im lying Im stlill laughing!

Not a dog lover so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Bring the owners to justice for what?, sure a greyhound that can't win races is no good to anyone.:confused:

• Advertisement

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Bring the owners to justice for what?, sure a greyhound that can't win races is no good to anyone.:confused:

I dont think shooting them and dumping them in a quarry is the solution really. The owners should find a good home for the dogs or they should keep the dogs themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Not a dog lover so?

greyhounds are not raced for love or money ;)

IM0 wrote: »
    greyhounds are not raced for love or money ;)

Their dogs like any other I think people who see them as things to be put down once they outlive their usefulness are not dog lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Absoloutley sickening and that includes some of the responses here:mad::mad::mad:

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Absoloutley sickening and that includes some of the responses here:mad::mad::mad:

Indeed very few dog lovers so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In before some deluded animal-hugger compares it to killing a human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I think it is an absolute disgrace that this has happened. Dumping the dogs in a quarry is not going to help anyone who works near the place. Having to clean the mess up should not be responsibility of the local council near this disused quarry.

These people should be brought to justice for wasting the time of the council and police time.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think it is an absolute disgrace that this has happened. Dumping the dogs in a quarry is not going to help anyone who works near the place. Having to clean the mess up should not be responsibility of the local council near this disused quarry.

These people should be brought to justice for wasting the time of the council and police time.

Im actually thanking this because it was funny keith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's an absolute disgrace that this still happens, but the thread title is very emotionally charged and reactionary. It really does not reflect the state of Ireland's greyhound industry as a whole.. two of the main official bodies even strongly condemn it in the quoted article, and you wouldn't find a whole lot of breeders that would condone it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

Have you ever attended a prestigious horseracing festival ?.When a horse falls and breaks a leg it is no longer any good to its owner. they will not even pick it up. as it lies there it is SHOT IN THE HEAD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mostly backwards boggers one would assume, greyhounds do less harm to the country than those yokels yet if you shot one of the yokels the law would be after you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Few people realise but Greyhounds make fantastic pets. Probably the wrong forum to post this in though OP you're just going to have people making jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This isnt the first time either. The greyhound breeding industry in Ireland has a history of putting down dogs who are no longer useful to the industry.
    I also heard similar stories for race pigeon fanciers. If birds get lazy and go astray and get identified by their rings their owners then collect them and wring their necks as they become duds and could contaminate the rest of the loft if they got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

dan dan wrote: »
    Have you ever attended a prestigious horseracing festival ?.When a horse falls and breaks a leg it is no longer any good to its owner. they will not even pick it up. as it lies there it is SHOT IN THE HEAD.

:rolleyes: how do they pick it up?!

they put screens up, put it to sleep the fastest way and remove it from the course. they dont just leave dead horses lying around the track.

Yea its up there with people who breed dogs for fighting. Zero concern for the animals well being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 emc2010

dan dan wrote: »

Its not the same with horses,, if a horse breaks its leg, it can't walk again so the kinder thing to do is to shoot it.. a dog that dosn't run fast anymore can still be a pet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tis terrible Joe!

Fantastic the owners have been identified!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0412/1224314640213.html
    The Irish Greyhound Board has confirmed it has identified the owners of a number of greyhounds, whose decomposing carcasses were found dumped in a disused quarry at Ballyagran, west Limerick, over the Easter weekend. It is believed the dogs were shot in the head and then discarded in contravention of the recently introduced Greyhound Welfare Bill.
    Bord na gCon said it was “working with gardaí to bring the offenders to justice” and “condemned” such actions. It added that identification markings on some of the dogs “were still intact” and “the owners of same has already been identified and will now be questioned”.
    Newcastle West gardaí are investigating and are due to question the owners identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

emc2010 wrote: »
    Its not the same with horses,, if a horse breaks its leg, it can't walk again so the kinder thing to do is to shoot it.. a dog that dosn't run fast anymore can still be a pet. :)

I'd love to have a horse as a pet, if I have enough money and a stable, etc.

I'd nurse the horse back to health and let his leg mend like you would a human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Surely they will get sentences? Or at the least fines, this is animal cruelty in a most bludgeoned state.

"Oh sure, animals are only animals." What if a person killed a little toddler?

6 months in Limk Prison along with a life time ban from keeping animals is good enough.

6 months in Limk Prison along with a life time ban from keeping animals is good enough.

According to metro ireland they will probraly get prison sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Oh wow, this subject makes my blood boil. Those poor dogs :mad:

The greyhound industry is horrendous, especially in a country like Ireland, where we pride ourselves as leaders in this 'industry'. There is little regulation, and most dogs are 'retired' before their 4th birthday. The dogs (in general) are considered no more than a commodity, and are often 'disposed of' once they're no longer useful/profitable. Make no mistake, greyhound racing is a business, and there's surprisingly little consideration for animal welfare in many cases.

My family have always owned greyhounds, and we usually get them through animal shelters, DSPCA, etc. There's a shocking amount of greyhounds (and greyhound types...lurchers, etc) that are abandoned and unwanted in the shelters (and these are the lucky ones). They're probably the most common type of dog you'll see in the shelters actually (esp lurchers).
    They're actually very difficult to re-home, and often get either left in the shelters or put down. It's terrible because they're lovely dogs and have the sweetest disposition. There is a widely held misconception about greyhounds/racing dogs needing extra care/exercise/diet, etc, which isn't true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think that anyone who gets enjoyment out of watching animals outrun each other is a bit touched in the head. If they are so into 'sport' why not run themselves the fat gits? Also, greyhound racing does seem to attract a fair amount of scumbags with no respect for animals. It's like horse racing for poor people.

Also, to whoever is saying that an animal life is not the same as a human, you're missing the point. It's about a respect for life - anyone who kills an animal for pleasure or because they are an inconvenience is a pretty sub-normal human being. As my old buddy Gandhi once said you can judge a nation on how it treats it's animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Wouldn`t the dogs be chipped so the ar**holes who did this would be easy to find and they make great pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Their dogs like any other I think people who see them as things to be put down once they outlive their usefulness are not dog lovers.

Very true..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

DoneDL wrote: »
    Wouldn`t the dogs be chipped so the ar**holes who did this would be easy to find and they make great pets.

The racing dogs have identification tattoos on/in their ears. I read somewhere though that when they're 'disposed of', the ears are often cut off to prevent identification. Sickening really.
    Also, someone who would mercilessly kill their dog because it wasn't making them money anymore, probably isn't the type who would invest in a microchip.

The owners have been identified thankfully.

According to metro ireland they will probraly get prison sentences.
    They should also get a court order barring them from any future race meets or betting on such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I cant beleive they even wasted the bullets on the dog's. just bring them to the dog pound:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ireland's cruel greyhound INDUSTRY!!!

Most people do it to make money. They will dispose of the animals if they have NO MONETARY VALUE

Most of us eat animals and like it.
    We can hardly be described as animal lovers can we?

Keeping dogs in hi rise apartments
    Keeping exotic animals for show
    Circus animals
    Zoos even
    Farms?

Not a lot of animal friendlies around if you ask me :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I think that anyone who gets enjoyment out of watching animals outrun each other is a bit touched in the head. If they are so into 'sport' why not run themselves the fat gits? Also, greyhound racing does seem to attract a fair amount of scumbags with no respect for animals. It's like horse racing for poor people.
    Don't tar everyone with the same brush anyway!:eek:
    In my opinion, I don't see why all these dog lovers don't volunteer to take the dogs which are being put down, my local pound is full and they have to put down dogs the whole time because nobody will take them. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely against animal cruelty, but I have no problem with an animal, that is nowhere near being endangered and is not wanted or will be wanted, due to the sheer amount of them, by anybody, being put down humanely. Just my opinion and you're fully entitled to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

2 years and almost 10,000 post, there should be some sort of award for the most persistent troll in internet history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Paparazzo wrote: »
    2 years and almost 10,000 post, there should be some sort of award for the most persistent troll in internet history.

Maybe there are a couple of people using that account. They could be doing shifts with the trolling.

I'm tempted to start a thread of Norn Iron now, so one of them would have to stay up till the birds start to whistle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Given the amount of people who eat meat, there are very few animal lovers around.

Plenty of hypocrites though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they were informers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Given the amount of people who eat meat, there are very few animal lovers around.

Plenty of hypocrites though.

greyhounds arent tasty, so that arguement is immediately flawed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Wossack wrote: »
    greyhounds arent tasty, so that arguement is immediately flawed

How do you know? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Paparazzo wrote: »

how could that be classed as a troll:confused: i agree with him it is a waste of time for the co council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I think they do be dead when they're dumped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'd love to have a horse as a pet, if I have enough money and a stable, etc.

I'd nurse the horse back to health and let his leg mend like you would a human beings.

It doesn't work like that. A horse is an animal who loves to run, especially race horses. If it breaks its leg, it will have to be cooped up in a stable for months, barely able to walk, never mind run. It can cause a horse such as a racer to be psychologically damaged and even down right dangerous to not get exercise for that long. It also causes problems with fluid build up in the legs. It just wouldn't be fair on the horse and would be more cruel to keep in living outside its natural way of living like that. This is coming from a girl who loves horses almost more than humans so I wouldn't be one to encourage putting a horse down as a solution unless necessary.

As for the dogs, I hate the fact it's felt they have to be shot :mad: There is nothing wrong with them as pet afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

In the case of rehoming, this sadly isnt always an option for some greyhounds. Many are given live rabbits etc. and taught to love 'the kill', so that they will chase better after the hare on the track. For this reason, they can be an absolute nightmare around smaller dogs / cats etc.

Having said that, I am not saying that shooting them is the answer either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You'd really have to wonder why we have a state-subsidized greyhound racing industry.

It's a very odd state of affairs, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Also, to whoever is saying that an animal life is not the same as a human, you're missing the point. It's about a respect for life - anyone who kills an animal for pleasure or because they are an inconvenience is a pretty sub-normal human being. As my old buddy Gandhi once said you can judge a nation on how it treats it's animals.

WOW way to tar everyone with the same brush.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There was never any prohibition on Cruelty of any kind in Ireland in Roman Catholicism .

• Advertisement
Advertisement