Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to receive pursuit driving training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i wonder will there be complaints about junior members coming out of future recruitment drives being fully qualified to drive at speed and longer serving members getting less driving time and not being happy etc.

its about time they trained the gardai properly anyway. maybe next they might give them a more practical uniform too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Random i agree with all you just said, also if they are serious about training then surely the equipment in which this training will be utilised should be fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I must be naive , I had always presumed that pursuit driving was what the fabled Garda Driving Course was all about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Delancey wrote: »
    I must be naive , I had always presumed that pursuit driving was what the fabled Garda Driving Course was all about :confused:

The standard AGS car course now is the response driving course, basically responding to a specific scene as quickly and safely as possible, it's a different kettle of fish chasing a vehicle at high speed, would of made sense to include pursuit in the course but common sense sometimes doesn't prevail when HQ decisions are made...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Has to be a positive step... safer for the gardai, as well as innocent citizens on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Random wrote: »
    i wonder will there be complaints about junior members coming out of future recruitment drives being fully qualified to drive at speed and longer serving members getting less driving time and not being happy etc.

dont you know it!

The gra will get it revoked i bet, so that you wont have the veterans whinging,

rather than move forward, we'll be stifled and kept in the dark ages

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Random wrote: »

dont you know it!

The gra will get it revoked i bet, so that you wont have the veterans whinging,

rather than move forward, we'll be stifled and kept in the dark ages

With the new CBD courses there's no reason why all probationers shouldn't come out with CBD1 done, not response driving or high speed but it's something at least, then members could be selected for the pursuit/response training...

I could definitely see a lot of unrest if lads with 10years service get leap frogged by kids just outta the college

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is there still lads driving about on the cheif supers permission? Its about time that stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Have AGS got any patrol cars left that can safely drive at high speed apart from the Volvos)?

BX 19 wrote: »
    Is there still lads driving about on the cheif supers permission? Its about time that stopped.

Chiefs still exists but it's on the way out being replaced division by division with the new CBD system, chiefs will now be CBD1, basically classroom theory and lectures followed by an assessment drive, no speeding or unusual driving, if you're deemed safe you are allowed drive official vehicles from a to b, no lights or sirens and no speeding, they have the same system in the UK I think but one of the UK lads will have to confirm that for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

scholar007 wrote: »
    Have AGS got any patrol cars left that can safely drive at high speed apart from the Volvos)?

Volvos are getting old too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

d3exile wrote: »
    if you're deemed safe you are allowed drive official vehicles from a to b, no lights or sirens and no speeding,

What's the point in having them behind the wheel then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

pah wrote: »

Exactly, a murder suspect fleeing the scene but you cant chase them. Logic in AGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

At least they can drive a police car. Better a cop arrive late then never.

Eru wrote: »

Exactly, a murder suspect fleeing the scene but you cant chase them. Logic in AGS

To be fair 90% of the job doesnt necessitate the use of lights and sirens, burglaries, thefts and criminal damage ie taking reports after the fact, material damage RTAs, Not to mention gathering evidence or arresting/ transporting, none of these require 999 response

Zambia wrote: »
    At least they can drive a police car. Better a cop arrive late then never.

not much of a service though is it?

all member of a police force should be trained to be behind teh wheel of official patrol cars and be abale to repsond to all situations safely and effectivly

could you imagine a child being snatched into a van and a patrol car being flagged down by the hysterical mother and the mule responding, sorry youll have to ring 999 and get someone qualified to persue him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Great, lets make a bad situation worse with escalating the problem from the bad guys fleeing the scene to the bad guys fleeing the scene with the cops in pursuit, putting other road users and pedestrians in added danger!

What ever happened to radio's, roadblocks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

REXER wrote: »
    Great, lets make a bad situation worse with escalating the problem from the bad guys fleeing the scene to the bad guys fleeing the scene with the cops in pursuit, putting other road users and pedestrians in added danger!

They are left in Hollywood, along with shooting out the tyres. :P

Seriously though, Unless the fleet of cars is seriously upgraded I can't see the advantage of having pursuit training when you don't have the tools to carry it out correctly. I understand there are some decent TC unit cars, but no were near enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

REXER wrote: »

They are quite useful in the city where you have loads of Gardaí minutes away. Not so useful in the country stations where the nearest support is not close and the number of roads far exceeds the number of Gardaí.

not much of a service though is it?

all member of a police force should be trained to be behind teh wheel of official patrol cars and be abale to repsond to all situations safely and effectivly

could you imagine a child being snatched into a van and a patrol car being flagged down by the hysterical mother and the mule responding, sorry youll have to ring 999 and get someone qualified to persue him :rolleyes:
    In fairness there are not that many times a patrol car is flagged down in front of a major crime like that.

However if it did happen the Mule using the common sense god gave him/her would follow as best he could while calling for the air wing , Traffic corp and other units.

In relation to pursuits here's one that does not end with a crash or adrenline filled moment. There are more ways to skin a cat

• Advertisement

In fairness there are not that many times a patrol car is flagged down in front of a major crime like that.

However if it did happen the Mule using the common sense god gave him/her would follow as best he could while calling for the air wing , Traffic corp and other units.

im sorry, thats not acceptable

every officer should be equiped and capable to tackle everything that crops up during his day

everything short of bomb disposal or counter terrorist manouvers

to think that an officer could not persue an assailant but would have to follow 'as best they could' while having to wait for someone else to do so would be hilarious if you wernt so serious

what is best they could?

would the be unable break a red light? over take on a continous white line? use a bus lane? 9all while safe to do so of course) all the while the getaway car is doing everything bar going airbourne to get away from the gardai...............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

every officer should be equiped and capable to tackle everything that crops up during his day

to think that an officer could not persue an assailant but would have to follow 'as best they could' while having to wait for someone else to do so would be hilarious if you wernt so serious

what is best they could?

would the be unable break a red light? over take on a continous white line? use a bus lane? 9all while safe to do so of course) all the while the getaway car is doing everything bar going airbourne to get away from the gardai...............

If only you really knew

No argument there but are you going to pay for that level of skill

Money no object sure, but lets face it money is an object.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

pa990 wrote: »
    If only you really knew

????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

TylerIE wrote: »
    ????

The Code 'v' Reality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Driving course......if I could get a bike course I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

what is best they could?

When dealing with a genuine emergency I am sure that any breaches of traffic law would be considered relative to the scale of the emergency.

If any private motorist had seen a child abducted or had to get an injured person to hospital quickly, I'd imagine they would not follow the act to the letter.

I can't see why a Garda without emergency driving training would be any different. As long as he knows his own limits and those of his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I can't see why a Garda without emergency driving training would be any different. As long as he knows his own limits and those of his car.
    In, say, a collision of some sort?

deadwood wrote: »

Some sort of fish-run would you think?

Unforeseen circumstances?

• Advertisement

deadwood wrote: »

Some sort of fish-run would you think?

Unforeseen circumstances?

Advertisement