Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating and Subject Choice

Options
  • 12-04-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys!

I'm repeating the Leaving Certificate in September with the aim of getting into a medical program in one of the Irish universities. The first time 'round I studied English, Irish, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History and Business. I faired okay in my overall results. I plan on replacing History with a different subject but I'm unsure as to what I'll replace it with. I was hoping one of you guys would have some suggestions for a replacement or even extra subjects to study along with the ones I will be repeating?

My next question will probably be aimed at past/current repeat students but what subjects do you find suitable for a one year repeat course?

Also, which language would you guys recommend me taking up, French or German? Preferably the easiest to learn.

All of your suggestions will be taken on board and greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

French is overall supposed to be easier to learn with the simpler grammar and no cases - and the exam is definitely easier with structure :)

I'd advise geography and/or ag science which apparently go well together. I do geography, its definitely quite an easy subject compared to history! Economics and ag science are meant to be doable in a year; a guy in my year's repeating and took up economics. Phys/chem is another one but if you do it, you cant do chemistry.

What did you originally study in history? You'll have to study the european retreat from empire next year but the thing I'm thinking is that, if you've done the US and Europe, you'll have a lot of choice there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pizster

Thanks for your reply!

I'm really considering Geography. I actually never even thought about Economics, do you know if it is similar to Business?

I originally done for the documents question Us and the Wider World, then Movements to Reform, Sovereignty and Partition and Dictatorship and Democracy for the rest. I plan on dropping History altogether as I am really bad at it and have no interest whatsoever in the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm repeating , I took up economics.
    It's not too bad once you get your head around it and you need to work at it, know about the economy. There are a few chapters that may link in with business but it's quite different mostly.
    The course is quite short and you only answer 4 out of the 8 questions so there's a lot of choice. Theres also a lot of graphs and a few formulas you may need to use on certain questions , they're in the log tables.

Geography is quite good and not to hard should be manageable. I've heard ag science and classical studies isn't too bad either .

No problem! Yep it really is, I do business and I've looked at the Economics paper - theres not excessive overlap but it definitely helps :) In geography theres an economic elective which I do, its pretty much based on Unit 7 of Business and my teacher even gave us photocopies from the business book used in my school as notes haha. It's all about CAP, CFP, globalisation and MNCs :)

Yeah history is a pretty awful subject to be honest. You could study the Retreat from Empire questions a bit and make a stab at the rest of it, but those are the two worst Irish history topics haha, I think you'd be better off with something new.

I checked over the exam paper there for Economics and it seems pretty easy with regards to the types of questions. It seems similar in style to the type of stuff on the Business exam but differing in content, if you know what I mean.

My subject choices so far will be English(H), Maths(O), Irish(O), Biology(H), Physchem(H), Geography(H), Economics(H), Business(H) and Another language(O).

The other language will only be used to meet the matriculation requirements so I won't be putting a lot of effort into it. I studied French until 5th year but dropped it for Business.

I'd ideally like to take up another higher level subject.

• Advertisement

Pizster wrote: »
    I checked over the exam paper there for Economics and it seems pretty easy with regards to the types of questions. It seems similar in style to the type of stuff on the Business exam but differing in content, if you know what I mean.

My subject choices so far will be English(H), Maths(O), Irish(O), Biology(H), Physchem(H), Geography(H), Economics(H) and Another language(O).

The other language will only be used to meet the matriculation requirements so I won't be putting a lot of effort into it. I studied French until 5th year but dropped it for Business.

I'd ideally like to take up another higher level subject.
    Yep thats exactly what its like. My friend and I do the same subjects but I do business and he does economics, its the same idea of 20 marks = 4 points @ 5 marks each.

One thing though - you say you did maths and Irish the first time? Why not drop them? Assuming you passed them, you dont need to redo them :) If you have your entry requirements all you need is the points. French shouldnt be too hard either, at LC in the oral you can bring in a document which is basically just a free chance to show off prepared vocabulary haha.

I'm applying for Medicine and unfortunately it requires you to get your entry requirements and points in the same sitting unlike other courses where you can use your previous LC results for entry requirements, and then pick subjects you like for points purposes in your repeat year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If you've already covered the chemistry course why would you sit physics/chemistry instead? Seems like creating extra work for yourself.

And why drop business?

Oops, I that was a mistake. I'm still doing Business (H).

I've always had an interest in Physics but never had the opportunity to study it for the Leaving Cert. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Why are you dropping history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Have you studied French before? :)

If yes, then it might not be really hard for you to continue with it! :D

Finally, you could also, take Japanese or Russian as they are specifically designed for the LC. Fair enough you'd be missing out on a year of work but sure! :)

0mega wrote: »
    Why are you dropping history?

I've lost interest in History if I'm being honest. :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Have you studied French before? :)

If yes, then it might not be really hard for you to continue with it! :D

Finally, you could also, take Japanese or Russian as they are specifically designed for the LC. Fair enough you'd be missing out on a year of work but sure! :)

I might continue with French. I won't be putting a lot of time into it, as it is just for matriculation purposes.

Advertisement