Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do next

Options
  • 12-04-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

ok purchased a sxs up in stakleums at christmas and submitted the application form the week after christmas waited 12 weeks and not a word from the guards so i have called in once a week for the last four weeks left my moblie number every time and as yet i havent got even a curtosy call from the firearms office.
    they are saying that new background checks and regulations have caused delays i am already a licence holder
    i thought they gaurds were legally required to respond to your application within a max of 12 weeks
    advice sotg:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I put a substitution in for a .22lr on Feb 1st of this year. I was told I would have it within 2 weeks. After many trips to the local station and so much returned paperwork incorrectly filled out (not by me) I am still yet to receive my license. Rang the FPU and they were no help, just told me to get in contact with the Super. Lads Im mad into me shooting be it vermin or game Im out at least 3 or 4 times a week with a gun as Im sure a lot of you reading this are. But , after all this hassle its putting me off the sport. Im finished buying guns, Im finished trying to keep a sport I love alive....This crap from the guards is just a joke :mad:

As shooters what can we do to ensure that the process is done correctly? Can we do anything as a group? Would we even get noticed?
    I dont know anyone who owns a gun that hasnt received hassle from the guards over a license! 3 months waiting on a Fcuking substitution for a .22 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ask your local Gardai to check and see if your application has been entered onto the pulse system. It should only take them a second. That should tell you if it is in progress or what the story with it is.

Strictly speaking, if you don't receive your licence within 12 weeks, it is deemed to have been refused, and they don't have to tell you that it has been refused.

However, they often run behind with the processing of licences so I wouldn't worry too much. I've had gun licences that have taken four to five months to come through, and I've received other licences in a few weeks. It's luck of the draw it seems.

Keep up the contact with the Gardai and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

Strictly speaking, if you don't receive your licence within 12 weeks, it is deemed to have been refused, and they don't have to tell you that it has been refused

you still have to recieve a written reason as to why your application was refused or am i wrong on this the girl at the counter said that the FAO had said that there was no reason that the application wouldnt be granted but thats not the point im trying to make my point is that i understood that when all the new licenceing issues came in it was agreed that a licence would be processed within a max of 12 weeks and supers delaying licences because of their own belives on firearms are operating outsde the proper proceedures for processing a licence
    sotg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I put a substitution in for a .22lr on Feb 1st of this year. I was told I would have it within 2 weeks. After many trips to the local station and so much returned paperwork incorrectly filled out (not by me) I am still yet to receive my license. Rang the FPU and they were no help, just told me to get in contact with the Super. Lads Im mad into me shooting be it vermin or game Im out at least 3 or 4 times a week with a gun as Im sure a lot of you reading this are. But , after all this hassle its putting me off the sport. Im finished buying guns, Im finished trying to keep a sport I love alive....This crap from the guards is just a joke :mad:

As shooters what can we do to ensure that the process is done correctly? Can we do anything as a group? Would we even get noticed?
    I dont know anyone who owns a gun that hasnt received hassle from the guards over a license! 3 months waiting on a Fcuking substitution for a .22 :eek:

I feel your frustration rabbit. Only recently I had a conversation with the FO that went something along these lines;
    ME: Hello I'm following up a firearms substitution that I submitted.
    FO: How long ago did you apply?
    ME: Nearly 3 weeks now.
    FO: Sure don't you know the super has up to 3 months to make his decision.
    ME: I'm aware that may be the procedure for a new application but in the Garda's own guidelines it states that a like for like substitution should be processed in a reasonable time frame of approx. 14 days.

I think it was at that point that the mood changed and the FO realised that he wasn't talking to a total turnip and wouldn't be fobbed off and we had a rather good conversation. I explained how I was missing one of my principal rifles for pest control and crop protection and he told me my application was on the system and how up to speed the super wasn't with firearms in general. Didn't leave me inspired but said he'd get on top of it if I still hadn't heard anything within a week.

God forbid if I had to sign on on a set basis and missed an appointment I'd be hunted down but ask them to follow their own guidelines and your having a laugh:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I'm a great believer in that if its not writen down it didnt happen. Ring and ask whats the district office's email address. Communicate only by email and you'll surprised at how fast things can move ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ssl wrote: »
    I'm a great believer in that if its not writen down it didnt happen. Ring and ask whats the district office's email address. Communicate only by email and you'll surprised at how fast things can move ;)

I think thats a great idea. then you always have proof of you contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Only way is to bypass them all and ring the Supers secretary and get the info. Then if its gone nowhere make an appointment to see the super, that will get things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I think thats a great idea. then you always have proof of you contacting them.

And the date it was sent etc. Plus you've a record of there response by email.
    clivej wrote: »
    Only way is to bypass them all and ring the Supers secretary and get the info. Then if its gone nowhere make an appointment to see the super, that will get things moving.

The district office emails are read by the supers secretary.

This issue comes up regulary enough. Maybe a guide could be put in one of the stickys

Advertisement