Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sore Thighs, Downsize!

• 12-04-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭

Hallo to all on the forum, I've decided to keep a log to help me stay motivated as I try to reach my goals.
    2012 - lose 2 stone, two sportives, get stronger on the bike
    2013 - the world! (to be arranged!)

so a little about me, I'm a 33 yr old father of 2 who has decided to put the brakes on my ridiculous weight gain over the past 7 years and get back into sports. I used to be a member of Piranha Triathlon Club and the bike was always my favourite part (love cycling) but in 2005 I had a knee operation and during my convalescence I discovered World of Warcraft, Dominos Pizza and the couch. Gradually I became 18 stone 6 (117 kgs - f*ck its scary writing that down) and a 5ft 9 that's going to kill me. I've got an 18 month old daughter and a 3 month old son so this weight has to go.Late 2011 I got a bike on the B2w scheme only for it to be nicked 2 days later, this pissed me off and made me determined to keep cycling to work so I dusted off my old road bike, prayed that it wouldn't snap under my weight and started cycling in. So it's now April and i'm 17 stone even, or 108kg. I've got a couple of buddies who have taken up cycling too, and we've got some events planned for later in the year. Last tuesday I decided that I was going to focus like a lazer beam and set some goals, cut out the **** food, and lose the fat once and for all.

This log will be my diary of my progress, my failures and hopefully my successes.

I have a brand spanking new Garmin Edge 500 to track the cycling and will be using Strava to track my running. My Strava profile is:
    www.strava.com/athletes/paj_nolan

please feel free to follow me and help me stay inspired and on track!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well just back from a spin there with a couple of my friends, we did 39.64km just out to howth and swords and back home. Something strange happened - I was first up howth hill, in fairness I was hurting at the last bit but still, job done. And one of the lads was on a hybrid, but sure it's not about the bike right?

Anyhow, I ate a banana on the ride and now that I'm home i'm ravenous, I need to know what to eat after a cycle, bearing in mind that i'm trying to shed weight (so I can rule out a trip to the chipper!)

My Garmin data:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167814826
    Strava:http://app.strava.com/rides/6708170

I've got some left in the tank so i'll go for a jog later and the Mrs has given me a hall pass for a spin in the morning so I'll head on my own and try for 3 hrs+.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Well just back from a spin there with a couple of my friends, we did 39.64km just out to howth and swords and back home. Something strange happened - I was first up howth hill, in fairness I was hurting at the last bit but still, job done. And one of the lads was on a hybrid, but sure it's not about the bike right?

Anyhow, I ate a banana on the ride and now that I'm home i'm ravenous, I need to know what to eat after a cycle, bearing in mind that i'm trying to shed weight (so I can rule out a trip to the chipper!)

My Garmin data:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167814826
    Strava:http://app.strava.com/rides/6708170

I've got some left in the tank so i'll go for a jog later and the Mrs has given me a hall pass for a spin in the morning so I'll head on my own and try for 3 hrs+.
    about being hungry coming back ...i'd eat the fridge ...:D

denlaw wrote: »
    about being hungry coming back ...i'd eat the fridge ...:D

Oh I feel like it!

This morning the alarm (my 3 month old) went off (woke up screaming) at 7am, so I got organised and hit the road about 7.30, it was freezing outside, my phone was telling me it was -1. I really felt out of sorts for the first while, couldn't feel "connected" to the bike if that makes sense. After 10km i pulled in and had a word with myself, I was making excuses, telling myself to go home and it was too cold and I wasn't in the mood. That's the old me, the me who let myself gain 4stone in 6 years. F*ck him. I told myself to get it done, and I got back on, out via the Naul (that hill climbing out of Naul to swords is a b1tch!) then home via malahide. Still freezing, but glad i had a word with myself! 61km done.

Garmin:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168175421
    Strava:http://app.strava.com/rides/6770781

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Fair play. I'd like to follow you on Strava to see how you are progressing. Keep up the good work and remember that if you can conquer your mind then you can conquer the hills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's an impressive post, pulling into give out to yourself!! Bad2dabone indeed.
    Well done for not giving up and pushing on to 60k plus. You've made a great start.

Thanks lads, I'll keep the momentum going, signed up for the ring of kerry, maybe i've bitten off more than I can chew but sure there's only one way to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Basster wrote: »
    That's an impressive post, pulling into give out to yourself!! Bad2dabone indeed.
    Well done for not giving up and pushing on to 60k plus. You've made a great start.
    x2, going from doing no cycling to ~170km in one week is impressive, don't know how long it took me to build up to a 60km spin! Well done! Keep up the progress, you're flying!

colm_gti wrote: »
    x2, going from doing no cycling to ~170km in one week is impressive,
    Thanks Colm I didn't mean to mislead but I commuted from Sept to December 10k each way so i had some cycling under my belt. started a new job in december and nowhere safe to lock the bike, I hate getting the bus to work now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Thanks Colm I didn't mean to mislead but I commuted from Sept to December 10k each way so i had some cycling under my belt. started a new job in december and nowhere safe to lock the bike, I hate getting the bus to work now!

Ah ok, still very good progress all the same!

• Advertisement

Work and family commitments have played havoc with my planned schedule this week and tonight was the first time I've been on the bike since sunday, headed out with a pal of mine for a spin and fully expected to be strong on the bike, alas it didn't quite work out that way! We headed out to howth for a spin as we both only had an hour to kill, I started off feeling good and my friend stayed on my wheel, pushing me onwards (we've been mates since we were 12 and are stupidly competitive with each other) I couldn't shake him off and with 100 yards to go to the top he smoked me like a kipper, I had nothing in the tank (I blame the casserole I had for dinner before setting out on the ride!). All in all an enjoyable hour on the bike, and i'll be able to meet the rest of my planned training sessions this week.
    On the weight loss front i'm down a little over 2lbs this week.
    Didn't help me on tonights climb! :D I'm having a mini-roll!

Well on Sunday just did 40 k taking it handy out to Phoenix park and back, nothing unusual to report, very much enjoyed cycling in the park. Went with my regular cycling buddy, he's gradually getting more into the cycling but insists on pushing a high gear at low cadence and just ends up tired. Last night I did 35 k, and climbed howth from the village side, tougher but shorter, I'm happy I did it now. 2 more lbs down now, so 106 kg. Kicking the fat off my own ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

Well on Sunday just did 40 k taking it handy out to Phoenix park and back, nothing unusual to report, very much enjoyed cycling in the park. Went with my regular cycling buddy, he's gradually getting more into the cycling but insists on pushing a high gear at low cadence and just ends up tired. Last night I did 35 k, and climbed howth from the village side, tougher but shorter, I'm happy I did it now. 2 more lbs down now, so 106 kg. Kicking the fat off my own ass!

Great thread dude; honest and frank. Keep it going!!

So on wednesday I went and got my gait analysis done for a new pair of running shoes, I was wearing a pair of old Nike Pegasus on my runs and they were clapped out and next to useless. So armed with a fresh pair of Brooks I went running in the bad weather on Wednesday night. Like a complete tool.
    Now I sit here with the snaky tendrils of Man-flu ensaring me. I have a lempsip. I am in my PJ's. I am plonked in front of the telly. There are jaffa cakes in the kitchen. I will survive. BUT my planned first cycle to wicklow - was gonna head down tomorrow morning - will be put off to sunday. It'll be my first trip to the garden county on my bike in about 9 years. I'm looking forward to it, provided I shift the cold first!

well I hadn't been on the bike since my last post, turns out the cold I got was a bad one and lasted for 2 weeks, so today I did the 67.5k Cycle4life sportive in Dunboyne, first time on the bike since 27th of April. Did ok, I am SORE now though, but I really enjoyed the cycle and the event was well organised. Time for sleep now!!

heres the data: http://app.strava.com/rides/8853116

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

I finished today with an average speed of 24.8kmph. The early part was tough with the wind and the Ratoath to Skryne road was very bumpy and painful on the arms. It was nice to get a break at the top of Tara and great to meet loads of people. Everyone seemed to have a had a great time today.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I did the 67k yesterday. Really well run. I suffered a bit from 50k onwards. I know that skryne road very as its outside my house and I always go the opposite way for the same reason. Tara was slippy on the way up and the wind always appeared against me no matter which way I turned. But really enjoyed the challenge

Advertisement