Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this about a new cinema in Ennis?

• 12-04-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

A friend just told me they're going to build a new cinema near the bowling alley. Is this true? Will it be the same crowd or someone else? Not sure do we need one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

The current cinema is an absolute joke, its cold, uncomfortable, the screens are small and the seating isn't tiered. To make things worse they don't even show some of the big blockbusters. This is all aside from the fact that its as expensive as any of the cinemas in Limerick that are far better.

So in summary yes we do need a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Went to the new cinema 'Showtime' on the Ennis Rd. (Limerick) the other night and by god the screen was maaaahoosive and so was the large CocaCola. Will be heading there again as it's not far from me but the Ennis one is a slight let down for people travelling from back west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

JustLen wrote: »
    The current cinema is an absolute joke, its cold, uncomfortable, the screens are small and the seating isn't tiered. To make things worse they don't even show some of the big blockbusters. This is all aside from the fact that its as expensive as any of the cinemas in Limerick that are far better.

So in summary yes we do need a new one.
    Wow I haven't been in I think literally years but I didn't know it was so gone to the dogs. I always felt they dropped the ball on the non tiers but other than that I found it ok. There again I remember the old one on station road.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

i think its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

the movieplex in Ennis needs to seriously invest to keep up with limerick.
    I am about 17minutes from the showtime cinema. No problem parking. I like the set up and screen size and the medium drink is 800ml. I couldn't believe it.
    I also like the idea of getting your own glasses and keeping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

MyKeyG wrote: »
    A friend just told me they're going to build a new cinema near the bowling alley. Is this true? Will it be the same crowd or someone else? Not sure do we need one.
    Is that up near the showgrounds?
    We don't need a new one. The one thats there is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

We don't need a new one. The one thats there is fine.

No, it really isn't. Id have to second the new cinema on the Ennis road it's a great set up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The Empire is over priced, the lady at the counter is cranky as ****, the seats are badly designed and hard to see the screen if someone is in front of you.
    They play it safe with film choice, would love to see a few foreign films. Even one night a week in the small screen would be fine.
    All Hollywood blockbuster or Romcom nonsense.

buck65 wrote: »
    The Empire is over priced, the lady at the counter is cranky as ****,
    I have to agree with you there:D

Even when it was brand spanking new she was a sour puss.

I have to agree with you there:D

Even when it was brand spanking new she was a sour puss.

I had to laugh when I read that, I would have to third that too she really does have that sour puss every time I've been there anyway.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I went there a few weeks ago but the film I Thought was on wasn't til the following night so half taking the piss I asked her what would you recommend expecting an earful but she actually took me in earnest and recommended a film, I felt a bit of a tit.

buck65 wrote: »
    I went there a few weeks ago but the film I Thought was on wasn't til the following night so half taking the piss I asked her what would you recommend expecting an earful but she actually took me in earnest and recommended a film, I felt a bit of a tit.
    Ha ha I remember when they first opened there were no speaking holes in the glass separating her from the public. I don't know if they forgot or if the lad who usually does them was on holiday but it was like the cone of silence from Get Smart. She used to get very annoyed until they fixed it.

To be fair I do think Ennis needs a modern cinema. I think when they opened the Empire Movieplex they counted on the fact that everyone would agree it was at least better than the old one (was it called Burren Cinemas?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

She is one of the reasons I do not go to ennis cinema. Sour puss is one way of describing her. I wouldn't be as nice in her description.
    I dont even look at the times there anymore.
    ennis badly needs to be at least upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wall E

I thought I was the only one who thought she was moody when asking for a ticket :D nice cinema but behind definitely. I was at the Omniplex this week in Limerick and it blows Ennis out of the water, asked for a large Coke assuming it would be like the Ennis size and it turned out to be Massive and cheaper I'd say than Ennis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I hate to disagree, but I've been going to the cinema in Ennis for years, and I think they've been doing a great job.

branie wrote: »
    I hate to disagree, but I've going to the cinema in Ennis for years, and I think they've been doing a great job.
    I think the negative opinions for the most part are comparative rather than arbitrary. I do like the current cinema, it's very nostalgic;), but it is behind regarding variety, facility and value for money and IMHO that's not really doing a good job. If they had got their thumb out sooner it may not have come to this but I speculate that the current management thought that they were just about doing a good enough job to keep out the competition.

If it suits some people that's their rightful opinion but I started this thread wondering if we need a new one and in a few short posts I realise we do.

I hope the lad with the moustache stays involved. One of the nicest guys you can meet and his brother is sound out too. Was always good for a bargain in the record rack, may a LEGENDARY establishment rest in peace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I think the negative opinions for the most part are comparative rather than arbitrary. I do like the current cinema, it's very nostalgic;), but it is behind regarding variety, facility and value for money and IMHO that's not really doing a good job. If they had got their thumb out sooner it may not have come to this but I speculate that the current management thought that they were just about doing a good enough job to keep out the competition.

If it suits some people that's their rightful opinion but I started this thread wondering if we need a new one and in a few short posts I realise we do.

I hope the lad with the moustache stays involved. One of the nicest guys you can meet and his brother is sound out too. Was always good for a bargain in the record rack, may a LEGENDARY establishment rest in peace!

Don't think the Woodfords are involved any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

There could be some truth in this.. i'd assume it would be out the gort road, there's a good few empty units out in the industrial estate... On Ennis Cinema, i cannot stand the place, poor selection of films, pricey for the quality too, i went to storm a few years ago and have never looked back, i have heard great reviews of the new cinema on the Ennis rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There is a thread on the Ennis cinema around here somewhere already.

I'll say it again for this thread, I love the staff, I love the location. I only have one complaint, and this complaint keeps me out of there most of the time - the seats.

As a 6'2" person it is a nightmare to sit in the seats in the Ennis cinema. My taller friends all agree on this. After 90 minutes of sitting with my knees in the hard wood seats in front of me I almost have to be carried out of there. I usually try to sit next to the aisle so I can stretch my legs as if I don't I'll be in severe pain within 20 minutes or so.

I mean, I can't even put my feet on the floor because my knees are in the back of the seats. Just not enough room for us tall people sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

CptSternn wrote: »
    As a 6'2" person it is a nightmare to sit in the seats in the Ennis cinema. My taller friends all agree on this. After 90 minutes of sitting with my knees in the hard wood seats in front of me I almost have to be carried out of there. I usually try to sit next to the aisle so I can stretch my legs as if I don't I'll be in severe pain within 20 minutes or so.

I mean, I can't even put my feet on the floor because my knees are in the back of the seats. Just not enough room for us tall people sure.

+1

Seats are way too small, have noticed they have put new seats in a few screens but was in there last week and the screen had the old seats. Remember seeing American Gangster and my legs were numb from the pain.

Only offering student discounts Monday - Thursday is a joke too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't know how people complain the Ennis cinema.so much. The Omniplex cinemas in Limerick and Galway are filthy, you can't buy sweets in small quantities, the speakers are broken or set up wrong, there's sellotape used to fix tears on the screens, the projectionists don't know their ass from their elbow and have the picture set up wrong 90 percent of the time...

I don't know how people complain the Ennis cinema.so much. The Omniplex cinemas in Limerick and Galway are filthy, you can't buy sweets in small quantities, the speakers are broken or set up wrong, there's sellotape used to fix tears on the screens, the projectionists don't know their ass from their elbow and have the picture set up wrong 90 percent of the time...

As for the sweets, in the omniplex in Galway and most I've been to you can as it has the fill your own sweets trolly (Pick 'n Mix).
    Don't like the Omniplexs myself but after going to Showtime on the Ennis road it's
    :a)Better value (Cheaper,Student at weekend)
    b) More parking available
    c)More spacious seats
    d)Large drink and large popcorn mean a large drink and a large popcorn (€8.**)
    e)A smiling face as you hand over your cash at the hatch (:eek:). It pains me to hand the money over at times in Ennis.

Ennis is fine if I'm stuck for time or just decide to head to a film all of a sudden but most of the time I choose the extra 15 minutes drive to Limerick.

CptSternn wrote: »
    There is a thread on the Ennis cinema around here somewhere already.

I'll say it again for this thread, I love the staff, I love the location. I only have one complaint, and this complaint keeps me out of there most of the time - the seats.

So we need a new cinema cos you're a freak?:p;)

Only joking I know what you mean there's nothing worse than being stuck behind someone tall in those seats. The amount of times a tall lad has come in late and sat in the seat in front of me is...well once or twice at most but it was a nuisance all the same. Was it you Cpt?

Yes but these are things that can be fixed. The structure of the facilities themselves tick all the boxes they just need some, or a lot, of minor work.

With Ennis you would have a huge job on your hands. The screens are as big as they're going to get due to space and tiers would have to be built in at a huge expense. The building as it is is fairly limited.

Very fond memories though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Battleflag wrote: »
    +1

Seats are way too small, have noticed they have put new seats in a few screens but was in there last week and the screen had the old seats. Remember seeing American Gangster and my legs were numb from the pain.

Only offering student discounts Monday - Thursday is a joke too

+2

Seats are a joke. Any time I went there I was crippled by the time the film was over. Always go to the eye cinema in Galway now, Its in a different league altogether!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anyone_local

Showtime is an excellent spot alright, lot handier than the omniplex (full of undesirables) and storm. I wouldn't knock empire though, always enjoy going in there. As mentioned a huge step up for those who remember the old Burren!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

The Burren Cinema, now THOSE were the days, I did my fair share of shiftin' there, throwing popcorn over those in steerage, and when I was in steerage trying my best to sneak up to the double seats!

Bring back The Burren, one screen, no choice, like it or lump it! Simple!

And on another point my first cinema film, was Return to Witch Mountain (the original)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

maiden wrote: »
    The Burren Cinema, now THOSE were the days, I did my fair share of shiftin' there, throwing popcorn over those in steerage, and when I was in steerage trying my best to sneak up to the double seats!

And on another point my first cinema film, was Return to Witch Mountain (the original)

LOL :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have to say I went to the Ennis cinema today to take my son to see one of the early kids shows they do on Saturdays and we got one of the screens with the new seats and they were lovely. But it's a bit of a crap shoot. Last two times I was there I was stuck in those small seats.

If they get the rest of them replaced I'll be happy sure. Their prices are not bad, and I especially like the kids size prices.

• Advertisement

maiden wrote: »

Two screens. There was the small one just to the right as you walked in the door. Fair enough there weren't many seats in front of it but it was there.

Advertisement