Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this about a new cinema in Ennis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

''Two screens. There was the small one just to the right as you walked in the door. Fair enough there weren't many seats in front of it but it was there.;;

You are sooooo right! I had totally forgotten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Box of fruit gums for £1 and you were happy out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The Ennis cinema is like going to your granny's and watching a video, but you're in and out fast, never more than a few steps from the snacks or the toilet. Only drawback to the nice homely feeling is that Parnell Street car park has gatherings of mostly teenagers who seem at a very loose end. Best to park in the Market if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

maiden wrote: »
    The Burren Cinema, now THOSE were the days, I did my fair share of shiftin' there, throwing popcorn over those in steerage, and when I was in steerage trying my best to sneak up to the double seats!

Bring back The Burren, one screen, no choice, like it or lump it! Simple!

And on another point my first cinema film, was Return to Witch Mountain (the original)

Hey the Burren had 2 screens for a few years before it shut!

The last film I saw there was "Interview with the Vampire" in 1994 IIRC, the first was probably ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think I went to see Mission Impossible 1 (1996) the weekend the Movieplex opened. Pretty sure the old cinema was still open till just beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Likewise went to see that,think Down Periscope was out at the same time and on in the small screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I think I went to see Mission Impossible 1 (1996) the weekend the Movieplex opened. Pretty sure the old cinema was still open till just beforehand.
    That was the opening movie. I went to see it as well. I think we all did.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I have to agree with you there:D

Even when it was brand spanking new she was a sour puss.

He, he, I agree too :D.

No way, the amount of times I was turned away at the counter because it was full was not funny:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The last film I saw at the burren cinema was Die Hard with a Vengeance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Think mine was independence day! well thats the only one i remember.

babygirlz wrote: »

No way, the amount of times I was turned away at the counter because it was full was not funny:(
    Remember trying to get into Jurassic Park. Unless you knew the pope you hadn't a hope. Did I just invent a catchy rhyming expression?

I'm wrong. It was actually Goldeneye I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Remember trying to get into Jurassic Park. Unless you knew the pope you hadn't a hope. Did I just invent a catchy rhyming expression?

in a word a big,, yes :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

Was just at the cinema and we first thought they might be closing down when we got there! All the paintings were off the wall and there was barely any sweets and stuff behind the counter, some was in boxes. First thing I did was check here when I got home as I figured I'd find out what's happening!

Was just at the cinema and we first thought they might be closing down when we got there! All the paintings were off the wall and there was barely any sweets and stuff behind the counter, some was in boxes. First thing I did was check here when I got home as I figured I'd find out what's happening!
    Well I assumed it would at least have stayed in business until we got the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

is it closing down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I doubt it, maybe their just cutting their stock/overheads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

the place was being gutted fifteen minutes ago. Asked a worker What was happening? He told me "closed down".

I just looked at the cinema website. no mention of it being closed down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gymaholic82

conZ wrote: »
    the place was being gutted fifteen minutes ago. Asked a worker What was happening? He told me "closed down".

been told the same but could be rumours this town is full of them

Hopefully it's just that - rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd be kind of surprised. It seems pretty busy most of the time.

Maybe there's a bit of redecoration in the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Just phoned them. The cinema is not closing. Only renovating. There is no shop service at the moment. Phone them to check if the earlier evening movies are on but the 8.00 p.m. (approx) showings are on anyway. They are hoping to have the job done and shop and everything back in action by this Friday.

I passed today, a skip outside the door and the carpet was ripped out so if it was closing they wouldn't be bothered ripping out carpets.
    There were 2 vans outside ( I cannot remember the name on the vans) they were cinema refit vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

If they finally get those new seats in all the screens I'll be well chuffed! :)

So are they going to try and compete with the new one for business then? This is all a bit strange. Whatever about the current one being good or bad we certainly don't need two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

If a cinema of the same standard of say storm or Showtime opened in Ennis i'd go and so would my mates, beats having to go to limerick of Galway to get a quality experience and i'd say a lot more people would too, so if lets say a new on opened it would get that crowd, and the existing cinema would keep it's current customers... in an ideal world :D

Anyways has anyone got any proof of this cinema plan,
    i'm beginning to think someone just got confused when the heard of Showtime on the ENNIS road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

was in the new one on the ennis road the weekend and it very nice, loads of handy parking and everthing

Advertisement