Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unemployed get welfare/Employed give it back?

• 12-04-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I saw a film there recently, it was Cinderella man. Anyway the main character in it is severely down on his luck. He's stuggling, for a while he gets welfare.

Then he gets a job and!........gives back all the welfare he received.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd do it myself.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I saw a film where a guy sat on a jar. It didnt end well, I'm not sure I'd do it myself.

Well you would give it back in a sense, through tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I saw a film where two girls had one cup...

I don't think I would be able to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

stevejr wrote: »
    I saw a film there recently, it was Cinderella man. Anyway the main character in it is severely down on his luck. He's stuggling, for a while he gets welfare.

But in fairness for the majority who are sadly without a job they paid social insurance to cover their asses when they lost their jobs so in fairness they prepaid their dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Yeah, that guy has just paid his social welfare twice. Maybe he was really thankful for getting it, or maybe he was really stupid, or maybe the film was trying to make a point with a sledgehammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

This one time, I saw a film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What exactly is thread about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well-paid job I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Its all like tax and sh1t

Dónal wrote: »
    Well you would give it back in a sense, through tax.
    Plus, he's already paid for it through the taxes he paid while he had a job (assuming he did and lost it!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sure you will, through your tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

mackg wrote: »
    What exactly is thread about :confused:

It's about some peoples fundamental lack of understanding of the social welfare/tax systems and therefore an indictment of our education system ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

You pay for your welfare through tax, why the fcuk would you give it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I saw a film there recently, it was Cinderella man.
    I seen it too man, she hooked up with Prince Charming in the end dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You should have put that as a
    :eek:

Dudess wrote: »
    Well-paid job I assume.

He ended up a WC boxer :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

I saw a film there recently, it was Cinderella man.

Not too long since you've seen "Cinderella" TM? Hmmmm......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

March of The Penguins was huge disappointment for me.

The amazing thing about those penguins is the incredible cooperation they display during the, up to, -70c storms.

TMoTP totally glossed over the cooperative aspect of the penguins behaviour, without which they could not survive, and tried to play up the monogamy and parenting facet which is why it was so well received by Christian conservatives.

Bugged the fuck out of me so it did.

Am I over-thinking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

RoverJames wrote: »
    He ended up a WC boxer :cool:

He punched people in a toilet!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

Dudess wrote: »
    Well-paid job I assume.

With all due respect dudess, why choose money as the character's main motivation?

Did you actually see the film? Because it looks from your post you did.

My question was based on a moral dilemma and not a financial one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I have been working for the last 13 years & paying tax on it.
    A few years ago I was out of work for 6 months.

I'm thinking revenue owe me a hell of a lot more than I owe them for the 6 months on the dole to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

We need to give all the unemployed an opportunity to do the same thing. By helping them get jobs so they can start paying PRSI again. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

What's this thread about anyway?

Is it like a support group for people who've mistakenly watched Russell Crowe in a film or what? :confused:
    Is someone on welfare now due to the trauma? I don't blame you, my friend. Let it all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If all welfare payments stopped, a fair bit of money would be taken out of the economy, crime would increase and there'd be more demand on the hse. The alternative is to devise a system more like they have in the uk.. Less emphasis on payments and more hands on in terms of reentering the workforce.. Would that make people happier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Whats a film ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    If all welfare payments stopped, a fair bit of money would be taken out of the economy, crime would increase and there'd be more demand on the hse. The alternative is to devise a system more like they have in the uk.. Less emphasis on payments and more hands on in terms of reentering the workforce.. Would that make people happier?
    your right in a sence there,the only thing is its easier to get a job in the uk...their welfare system is great for getting young people looking for work...i lived there a few years back and the lads there couldnt believe how much we get on the dole here...but i dont think it would work for the oldr people on the dole...i've been out of work for quite a bit now and its not from lack of tryin....ive been turned down by mcd's tescos homebase woodies pennies told me i wsnt qualified enough to stack shelves,ive offeres to work for free to get exp. and still nothing...im now going bk to college to try and get myself better qualifications for a good job ... oh and russel crowe is a knob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Am I over-thinking it?

I found the penguins in Madagascar were more entertaining. With the exception of King Julian the rest of them bugged the crap outta me.

Advertisement