Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have anything good to say about an electric garden shredder?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

Dogwood, hedge trimmings, raspberry canes, lots of brambles, up to about 10mm diameter I lay them on the lawn and run the petrol mower over them :D very satisfying but out of respect to Honda I need a better solution.

With the €2 per bag cost of disposal now I want to compost everything in-house. I need a decent shredder of some type. Any of the petrol ones are too big and expensive for me.

There are a lot of reviews of electric garden shredders and overall, the reviews are not good.

There are two types: (1) the 'fast' type with a 3000rpm blade that chops stuff - seems to make a better mulch but is noisy, and (2) the 'quiet' type that slowly pulls in stuff and chops it into 20mm lengths.

Is anyone having success with a garden shredder, if so what type is it, and if you have a good one you are not using is it for sale second-hand?
    [edit - or loan it to me like lucky Magicbastarder:pac:)

Input appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i fairly regularly use an electric einhell (model has 1200 in the name somewhere, and is certainly not a current model); and it's fine for stuff up to about the thickness of your thumb, if it's still fresh. try running dry wood through that, and it's a boneshaker.

makes a good mulch, but is one of the 'fast' types you mentioned above; it's not especially noisy when running with no input, but does get noisy when you feed it; but the mulch is excellent for unpaved garden paths and flowerbeds.

it's not mine to sell though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have one that I bought from Lidl in a moment of stupidity. If you saw the size of my garden you would understand how stupid. Never been used. Make me an offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have the
    'quiet' type that slowly pulls in stuff and chops it into 20mm lengths.
    A bosch, had it for years and gets loads of use.

brilliant for woody stuff and stems such as Sweet corn.

IMO better for mulch than the output from the fast noisy ones because the material does not break down too fast.

Had
    (1) the 'fast' type with a 3000rpm blade that chops stuff - seems to make a better mulch but is noisy,
    for about a year:rolleyes:
    waste of time and money. But will deal in softer wetter material that would break down in a compost anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why was it a waste? unreliable, or clogged too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

i fairly regularly use an electric einhell (model has 1200 in the name somewhere, and is certainly not a current model); and it's fine for stuff up to about the thickness of your thumb, if it's still fresh. try running dry wood through that, and it's a boneshaker.

makes a good mulch, but is one of the 'fast' types you mentioned above; it's not especially noisy when running with no input, but does get noisy when you feed it; but the mulch is excellent for unpaved garden paths and flowerbeds.

it's not mine to sell though!

I too had an Einhell for about 10 years and it worked very well, unfortunately it gave up the ghost about 3 years ago and I bought a Bosch AXT 2200. What a heap of crap, I spend so much time unclogging it I might as well grind the stuff in my teeth and don't even attempt to put soft green stuff in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

I have the Procut 2000 similar to the one on the Woodies website (reliable brand I know, one of my sat morning hungover random buys);)

It's fine for small branches, hedge trimmings, dry material mainly. Try using it for brambles or anything that holds a bit of moisture, bendy material for want of a better phrase, and you'll spend more time unclogging it than playing, sorry I mean working with it!

Initially it's ok but once the blade becomes a bit worn or blunted, it changes from a shredder to a thrasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No.

Not a single good word to say about them, and have used one that wasn't a cheap piece of crap from China.

Plenty of good to say about petrol ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I have an electric shredder that was cheap from woodies or B and Q as far as I recall. I find it grand for my garden. It takes several hours to go through the annual pruning I do and yes it blocks and has to be cleared and it doesn't shred finely but I find it fine for mulch and for paths in the vegetable garden. I'd love a better petrol one but for the price I paid about four years ago I can't complain. It's noisy enough so in a very built up area it might be an issue but if you just use it on a occasional bais like I do I don't think the neighbours can be too bad about it. Lawn mowers aren't quiet either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ronan652

I've a big garden that needs stuff shredded regularly. I've got a 2500w electric shredder that i got in Lidl about two years ago. I would be lost without it. Under half the price of some of the better known brands and hasn't let me down yet. I think with many of these type of shredders they work best with woody material otherwise they do tend to clog a bit. If you can leave stuff to dry out for a few weeks post pruning and pre shredding all the better.

I think the shredder is advertised under the 'Florabest' brand. If you're on a budget i'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Right,I got a 'slow' type on an extended loan. It hadn't been used in a few years, took a little adjustment (of the only adjustment there is on these yokes) to get good cutting action.

I shredded 100% everything I had here. It took two hours, I got 5 wheelbarrowloads of great mulch which went on the beds.

My verdict:
    - A good quality 'slow' electric shredder does work
    - providing your clippings are reasonably straight and 38mm dia or less
    and you have loads of time.
    - They are indeed 'slow' but the unit I have, does work.
    - For occasional clippings, etc, just bring them to local recycling depot,
    it's cheaper and you don't have to store a shredder in your shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Have one and it's yours for 30 euro if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Many thanks redser7, I am sorted now. maybe a.n.other will be interested.

I note looksee might have one available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

redser7 wrote: »
    Have one and it's yours for 30 euro if you want it.

I'd be interested in that, seeing as deandean is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Cool, I'm in North Dublin. Send me a PM and I'll take a photo as soon as I have a chance and get you details of make/model etc.
    Cheers

Advertisement