Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure about what type of rod to buy

Options
  • 12-04-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Been interested in fishing for a couple of years now and i went a few times but looking to actually start going this summer..

I need a rod but unsure about what ones to get. I'm going to try to do some a bit of mackerel fishing and probably some trout or boat fishing also..

Could you advise on which type to get. Or would an ordinary rod do fine?

Thanks

PS.. Sorry about the silly question, but i don't have a clue to start.. Don't really want to be going off buying something that could cost a few hundred euro and turning out that its not what i intend to use it for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Whats a "ordinary" rod?
    You need 3 different rods for the different angling types you mention.
    Best bet is go reading about angling on the web this year, decide what you want to do, and get kitted up to attempt your chosen track on the sport.
    A golfer needs a bag of clubs, a angler needs something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Mech1 wrote: »
    Whats a "ordinary" rod?
    You need 3 different rods for the different angling types you mention.
    Best bet is go reading about angling on the web this year, decide what you want to do, and get kitted up to attempt your chosen track on the sport.
    A golfer needs a bag of clubs, a angler needs something similar.

Thanks for the reply..

Didn't realize you needed different rods for the different types.. I just thought one rod would do the trick..

Ordinary rod? Just something simple really.. Not to fancy

Thanks anyway, do you recommend any websites/magazines/etc to read up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Go to a good fishing shop and buy a "Spinning rod" suitable for pike. that should also do you for feathering mackeral off the piers.

A boat rod is a whole different animal.

A match rod for float in the canals is different again.

Beach fishing needs another 2 rods.

Wanna try fly casting, better buy another rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Garbally

I recommend that you try lidl or aldi to start off with - from time to time they have starter rod kits for about €30. They are perfect to get you started.

As the earlier poster said, a spinning rod is a good starting point.

I am more into fly fishing myself now, but I bought the spinning Rods etc over the years too!

I would also suggest getting in touch with a local club, who should be more than happy to show you the ropes etc. If you are near Dublin, I can make a recommendation for a fly fishing club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Garbally wrote: »
    I recommend that you try lidl or aldi to start off with - from time to time they have starter rod kits for about €30. They are perfect to get you started.

the aldi/lidl gear is mainly rubbish. The can be ok, but the reels will break. Most other tackle is of poor quality and do not have fish conservation in mind (not a great sign when you see gutting equiptment sold with their fishing specials :rolleyes: )

If you are a total beginner, then you should go to a tackle shop. Tell them what you want to fish for and they will get you sorted, and also give you advice and tips, which is vital for a beginner. The tackle shop will cost more but its well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

You will get away with one rod if chosen correctly.

Have a look at the Bushwacker xlnt spinning rod. Lovely rod for spinning for bass (waterford !!!) , trout and anything else you can throw at it.

I have the 8ft. 15-50 gram and it is a beautiful rod, i also use it when im lucky enough to get out on a boat:D

you may find second hand one somewhere for nice price, new their about €100.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

If you use your rod and reel for sea water just make sure your gear is designed for it ( salt, etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Thanks a million for the replies..

Will check out some spinning rods in a few angling shops in the coming weeks..

Can't wait to start :)

Advertisement