Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SILAGE RAKE

• 12-04-2012 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying a single rotor rake for rowing in for a wagon and some look awful flimsey and only suitable for hay or straw.are there different specs and say the single axel ones do they work on silage,thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

keep going wrote: »
    thinking of buying a single rotor rake for rowing in for a wagon and some look awful flimsey and only suitable for hay or straw.are there different specs and say the single axel ones do they work on silage,thanks

good video here of irish lad using one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIj-c1u2MrE&list=UUDZgQchoG7I3--IrEOg50jA&index=3&feature=plcp

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Bought this last year from a dutch goat farmer who lives near Portumna in Galway, he brings bits and pieces from Holland to sell.
    It's a great job for silage and it was handy enough money, then again it's 25 years old but perfectly minded, has a 12' 6" working with so thats 24' in one swarth for the fusion...
    http://www.farmsnaps.com/album/view/4da1a6dea7a6ed3c3500000b#4f097c36a7a6ed3338000011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

you cant beat the claas rake. good n strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

BalingMad wrote: »
    you cant beat the claas rake. good n strong

I disagree, Spent the last 2 summers using a twin rotor one and its had to be welded more than once!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

I disagree, Spent the last 2 summers using a twin rotor one and its had to be welded more than once!!

Ah sure what would last when its raking rocks in the burren:D
    I find Claas good and strong anyway. Only able to compare with krone and lely with my experience though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

BalingMad wrote: »
    Ah sure what would last when its raking rocks in the burren:D
    I find Claas good and strong anyway. Only able to compare with krone and lely with my experience though :(

I thought the stuff was very light in them, krone are probably worse if their mowers are anything to go by and I dont know anything about lely. It had started cracking within a month of being new around the hooks that hold it up during transport, Would have thought it would be an important place for a bit of structural integrity but apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rollant46

jf stoll do a very strong single rotor rake. i would recommend looking at one if you havent. we have one this last 4 years and hadnt to leave a spanner on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

would a haybob 360 bring 2 8ft rows together on fresh ground in the middle.it looks like the best option for me is a rotonde but they are like hens teeth.my contractor finds it it hard to clean the ground if the swath is not moved when raking as i have no conditioner on the mower so throwing one row on top of the other is not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Drawinhard!!

Ya rotonde is a great job expensive new but if ya look hard ya might find a clean 2nd hand one . Keep going how do ya find the quality of silage if its not conditioned, Just as a matter of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

it was fine last year but it was cut in reasonable conditions,also its wagon silage so dosent have to be a fantastic wilt.takes the wagon longer to pick up 8ft swaths so want to speed it up a bit and improve the picking up

• Advertisement
Advertisement