Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to connect to the internet

• 13-04-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

A buddy of mine has a laptop running vista that he used a Meteor dongle to surf with. He changed to an O2 dongle, and even though it installs, and connects to the internet, you cannot surf. He tried the old Meteor dongle, and the same thing now happens there. On my wireless network, I can connect to my wireless router, but get "Connected with limited access". However, if I manually set the ip address, subnet and default gateway, it's fine. I flushed the dns, but it made no difference.
    When the dongles say that they are connected, I cannot ping www.google.com, or even the ip address of google.

When I do an ipconfig/all in a command prompt window I get these results from the wireless card when it's connected to my router:

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address..: 169.254.237.20(preferred)
    SUbnet Mask...........................: 255.255.0.0
    Default gateway......................:
    DNS Servers............................: fec0:0:0:fff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:fff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:fff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip...................: Enabled

I had to type that out from what I see on the screen so if it's missing something I'll try ang get more info on it.

Is there a simple command to flush some ip address or something?

edit: I've tried ipconfig/release but get An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified. The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

I ran a sfc /scannow and it said that it found errors but could not fix all of them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Try and reset winsock, use this link to find a download for him to run.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for the link, but it made no difference.
    In fact, I'm connected to my router, yet I can't ping it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Thanks for the link, but it made no difference.
    In fact, I'm connected to my router, yet I can't ping it

Dhcp problems would be my guess, make sure dhcp is activated on the router and that your pc is not set to use manual ip settings.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Dhcp problems would be my guess, make sure dhcp is activated on the router and that your pc is not set to use manual ip settings.

Yep. It seems it is. Problem is, I cannot start it. Under services I see that it's not running, and when I try to start it I get:

Windows could not start the DHCP client service on local computer.
    Error 5: Access is denied

Also, I cannot start WIndows Firewall. Looking across the net, it seems that these problems in tandem are kinda common, but not very many solutions

Ok. I got it to work with my wireless connection using these instructions from here http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/796048.htm

Re: DHCP client service does not start
    hey, i found a work around to fix this stupid problem:-
    1- first you have to login using any user with administrative privileges.
    2- start---> Run---> regedit
    3- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip.
    4- right-click on the Tcpip from the left tap menu and choose permission.
    5- Choose (Allow) for all listed groups and users, then press apply and ok.
    6- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp.
    7- do the same as before.
    8- now plug your network cable or connect to the wireless, if u got an IP from the DHCP then it's done, if not you have to open the services from the administrative tools to run the DHCP clinet or stop and run the service again.

*** YOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVERYTIME U LOG IN OR CONNECT TO THE
    NETWORK.
    *** THIS PROBLEM ASLO EXIST WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE.

This problem might be related to the DHCP server, seems like up-grading from windows 2000 advanced server to windows 2003 may cause this probem, or maybe the group policy in the active directory.

Now, I did restart the computer, and it still works without having to do the workaround every time. But when I do connect, I get a message saying I do not have net access, when I do.

Regardless, he's using an O2 stick, and it still acts the same way as it did before. It connects but I still cannot surf. Or even ping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I had a Vista laptop today with related issues.
    Did a full windows update,installed latest Service Pack,updated all drivers,ran a scan for World Wide Malware and eventually worked !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Hijpo

rolion wrote: »
    I had a Vista laptop today with related issues.
    Did a full windows update,installed latest Service Pack,updated all drivers,ran a scan for World Wide Malware and eventually worked !

Sounds like the same symptoms i had on a vaio the other day, seemed to be locked out of the services snap in completely. Ended up restoring to a previous working restore point, and installed all the updates etc never found out the root cause but i suspected malware/virus of some sort. He hasnt mentioned the problem since. Strange one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

This happened to me. Solution:

1 - Disconnect all dongles.
    2 - Uninstall meteor and o2 software and drivers.
    3 - Cold restart (shut down/turn off pc and then back on).
    4 - Delete any network connections in control panel that say o2 or meteor or dialup ect.
    5 - Use Ccleaner or other cleaning software to clean registry (free google it).
    5 - Use it to clean temp files and internet history/cookies etc.
    6 - Restart computer
    7 - Install your desired dongle/software
    8 - It should work fine now, just don't install the other software again as there is a conflict.

Thanks for the help guys. When I changed the registry I was able to surf, as I said, but not with the dongle.

Turns out that it was a simple solution to that: Crap service for it to work. When i got a chance today I went to higher ground, and got a full signal, and it worked fine.

I couldn't update it because I had no internet connection in the beginning.

Cisco, I suspect that the Ccleaner might have done the job for me easier alright.

Thanks again for everyones help. Maybe this thread will come up in google sometime and help someone else out

Advertisement