Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Lost In Our World... Uknown...

• 13-04-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

This is a photo I've taken earlier, and I'd like to get a bit of C&C on it, aswell as maybe opening a bit of discussion about it!

9526444EE33146CC8868B8912765E9BA-0000340795-0002814374-00640L-FBF1E88E7596481DABF5E4807850DAA8.jpg

"Lost In Our World... Unknown..."

I personally find, the photo, with the caption above, shows how isolated we make ourselves at times, both from ourselves, and from the world - and that we put too much trust into other people to do all our work for us; which in the end just let us down.

The wasteland leads into an old rundown construction site, that was supposed to be a new shopping centre, to match the 3 shopping centres (if you could call them that, one of them is more a selection of Super Stores!) which shows our stupidity at just throwing money about on senseless projects during the Celtic Tiger Era, that we now have to pick up the pieces for -- and leaving the great that once stood, on its knees!

The dark sky, I find, really shows a sense of nervousness & fear. Losing us in a mindset of longing, wanting what once was, only to realise, history will repeat itself; and thus knowing, the world is doomed yet again..

Okay, thats my wall of text!

/Discuss :)

Cheers Guys.

Snipe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Can I ask which came first - the idea or the image?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the image doesn't work for me; it's murky, and i don't think the murkiness serves the concept. unfortunately, the concept stands or falls on the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

bullpost wrote: »
    Can I ask which came first - the idea or the image?

The Idea, I was thinking about for a while, However trying to exactly explain theconcept at 1am isn't the easiest too! :P

Thanks for yer input! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

While I like the sky, the area of Limerick wasteland you refer to must be only visible to you because try as I could I cannot make out any detail due to the foreground being far too dark.

I'm no expert but I'd prefer to boost the light a little in the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Sorry, but i wouldn't have had a clue what you were trying to portray if i hadn't read the text. I think you're trying to fit too much in. Simplify your concept maybe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Precisely - which was why I asked my original question.

I also think maybe a series of images would work better for your ideas. You have the site already picked out so go back and try for a number of images.
    sineadw wrote: »
    Sorry, but i wouldn't have had a clue what you were trying to portray if i hadn't read the text. I think you're trying to fit too much in. Simplify your concept maybe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Thanks for the feedback guys, Doing a series would be a good idea!

I had just thought since I was passing where it was, when going between 2 gigs, I'd take it, since I was running low on light.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Simplify, and make it a series!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 xelle

Ok would i be wrong in stating it would seem to be a conceptual piece?(wouldnt like to put words in your mouth!)....if it is we should therefore adopt the philosophy behind conceptual art and allow it to be cognitive over aesthethic. The only question is should the artist's intention always be considered the decisive factor in interpretation and must it always be involved? If yes, absolutely leave it alone. If no, still leave it alone....it creates interesting philosophical debate and becomes a defacto cognitive piece.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

murky

What a great word for the overall c&c

:)

+1

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

As a gritty urban landscape it nearly works for me. A bit too dark overall and the heavy vignetting makes it even darker - unnecessarily so. I'm not a particularly artistic person and I don't see anything that you are seeing in it. I don't see isolation or anything about putting trust in others. I can appreciate a shot of wasteland leading to a derelict construction site - that speaks volumes, but in this shot it is just lost because of the darkness and lack of detail.
    Maybe as part of a series I might see it but as a stand alone shot it's just a gritty underexposed grainy landscape.

• Advertisement
Advertisement