Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark humour - how far is too far

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

The sicker the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I would say that suicide might be the one thing where I would draw the line

You obviously haven't seen Heathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

TwoBirds wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of the tidal wave of jokes that inevitably come after the death of someone in the public eye. It goes for everyone - jokes about anyone recently deceased, or jokes about serious illness, not sound.

What about Tsunami jokes??

Those type of jokes are a cancer on AH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To be fair, if people find the jokes horrible, that's simply how they feel and they're not always going out of their way to find offence. They've the right to find the jokes unfunny and tasteless just as those who have a right to find them funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

I think there's a time and a place for dark humour and the majority of people get the timing and the place wrong so most of the time 'dark jokes' fall flat for me. In relation to what crosses the line, rape jokes are never funny imo I've yet to hear one that wasn't tasteless or just plain ****..... Like the 'there's no such thing as rape, it's just surprise sex' one is so over done and totally unfunny, I also find dead baby jokes fairly humourless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.

Mel Brooks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Snowie wrote: »
    I like bad taste, its funny.
    A most excellent film especially when you consider it's budget www.imdb.com/title/tt0092610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did we not say 'black humour' once upon a time? Or is that racist now?

Confused in Alabama

Either can be used.

Same with movies.
    Black/dark comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I only think it's in bad taste if it's actually targeting someone, those things that are called jokes but are made to be negative rather than humorous, they're not funny. I don't think that's a line though, it's just not being a dick, I haven't come across a genuine joke that I've found offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I don't like humour that denegates another race or creed. But when that humour involves a race or creed that put down another or have a practice that in my mind is objectionable then I think the humour and comedy is needed. Take some of the practices of the islamic world.

What humour does is it ridicules, therefore it makes the perpetrators of some injustice smaller and ridicules. Therefore they may see error in their ways.

But the ultimate black humour and offensive show would be Allo Allo the holocaust. Give it time and i am sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Whatever the subject, the maxim " if you cant take it dont dish it" rings true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A lot depends on the teller of the joke, imo. Some people just have a great ability to tell a joke and make it funnier than someone who isn't the best at telling jokes.

As for the line, I've heard some horribly sick jokes, but as of yet I have not found the line.

Advertisement