Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat wandered in

• 13-04-2012 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

So we live in a house with a few apartments (in Toronto). The neighbours knocked on the door and when we opened, a cat came in. They said they heard it miaowing outside their door and it ran into their place. They brought it to us because there's a few people allergic to cats in there.

Anyhoo, we gave it some tuna and water and it seemed to be settling in for the night when it started sitting by the door. We opened up, let it out and it went wandering around the neighbourhood for a bit. We asked a neighbour if it was theirs and he said it had been wandering around for a week or so, seemed to be about 6 months old but was ultra-friendly so probably domesticated. We let it back in and before long it was sitting by the door looking to get out. We let it out again and now it's wandering around outside..

I'm wondering what we do here, keep it inside and look after it and put a few posters up etc.? Or let it roam, as it seems to want to be outdoors? I don't mind letting it out (as attached as I am after 16seconds of its company), but is it irresponsible to let a 6month old cat out on its own? I have no idea, none of us ever owned cats or anything.. Not sure what to do!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Well, clearly the cat has got 'people training' down to a fine art. Someone's sig around here is that dogs have masters, cats have staff - it is very true :)

If the cat is so sociable, then it is most likely a pet - and therefore, probably has a frantic owner looking for it. So, a few posters would be good, as would be ringing the local vet/animal shelters to say that you have found it.

People are often split down the middle on whether cats should be inside only, or in and out. That's a personal decision in my opinion. Regardless, if the cat already has a taste for the outdoors, keeping it in becomes difficult, and could be distressing for it.

Technically, the cat can be let outside once it has had it's shots - usually around 3 months old. Of course, there is no way for you to know this, but if you don't have anyone coming to collect it within a couple of days, then the responsible thing would be to take it to the vet to have it checked out - it may even have a microschip (I'm not sure how popular these are in Toronto). You don't say if it is a tom or a queen, but be aware that at 6 months old, a queen could get pregnant, so spaying is also a good bet.

And well done for looking out for it, may people would not bother.

Advertisement