Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What class will you make your main in MoP ?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Yeah I know it's still a fair bit away but just looking to see what your own thoughts are and why, in regards what class you'll make your main (and concentrate mostly on same) for the next Wow expansion.

I'm asking as I figure most at this stage in Wow, like myself, have many alts.

I'm still stumped myself at the moment. I'm running 5 characters in LFR every week and classes I didn't give much thought too (like Shadow priest for example or Enhance Shammy) are surprisingly fun and somewhat overpowered to play again.

I was kind of set on making the Paladin my main but as I've gone back through levelling my alts, I'm kind of starting to enjoy the Death Knight again and I've tons of old gear in the bags for transmogs from when I was last seriously raiding. It's just that it's a DK and well, there are so many bad DK's out there it's hard to be accepted, it was hard enough for me back then to get into a raiding guild as a DK.

I'm not that much interested in heavy raiding any more due to not being able to commit to set times so I figure I'll pick my main in regards being the most fun class to play in random BG's, dungeons to gear up and eventually LFR's to get frustrated in :P with the occasional raid pug when I feel like it.

I've found the Mage, Warlock, Warrior and Hunter classes quiet bland and boring to play. Shaman was the same for me until I gave it another chance and geared it up for Enhance, which has made it actually quiet enjoyable again but I figure the class will get shafted in MoP.

The Monk, eh, it's not currently doing it for me in the beta anyway, I just don't feel the class at all. I'm sure I'll end up rolling one anyway and levelling it up at some stage but the mechanics of it just don't feel right (I know it's still early in beta).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

It's a tough decision I face every single expansion. This one will be different though because my thoughts for the last few centered around raiding and the performance of classes within the beta dictated my main. Last time I was set to push my elemental shaman as my main, chopped and changed his professions and sank a lot of gold into him. Beta exposed some serious flaws and scale issues and I ended up sticking with my shadow priest (main since I started). I know had I picked the Shammy I wouldn't have gotten a raid spot.

This time though progression raiding isn't on my radar so like you it will be instances / PVP and occasional LFR. I'm pushing a Lock, Feral Druid & Blood DK to 85 at the moment to have choices. I'm leaning towards a tanking class just for the convenience and OS him as melee DPS. To that end its possibly the Druid as I never liked the DK as a DPS character. Will of course be leveling my priest as well and possibly going to focus on PVP with him for the expansion.

Would recommend a shadow priest though if you found other classes bland to play. Rotation is semi-complex and for MoP looks to have a few random proc based changes. Undergeared and played well they are a match for any class in PVE and when geared properly they are a seriously competitive class. In PVP I always found them enjoyable in BGs, good survivability and tricks. Haven't played arena in years so can't comment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Yeah I'm very impressed by the Shadow Priest. Hadn't played it in a long time as it bored me, I went full healing specs and did random BG's to completely gear up for pvp instead on it.
    After I quit for a while and came back, I found most of the battlegrounds were full of botters and it was pointlessly frustrating wasting my time healing them, so switched to shadow. Reforged pvp gear for Shadow, changed bits around and omg, seriously impressed I was. I'm now either topping the recount damage charts in any LFR's I've been in or I'm in the top 5 at worst.
    I actually like the rotation, it's not that bad really compared to some other classes (you won't like the Warlocks rotations!).
    Can't believe how powerful they are in PVE and well now that I'm geared up a little better PVE wise I'm not bothering with PVP gear, stick with the pve gear on and it's just phenomenally powerful in pvp.
    I enjoyed playing the Druid, both healing in pvp/pve and feral dps/tanking, quite an enjoyable class to play (and farm herbs with, picking in flight form!).

I never play arena, hate them. So it's just random BG's and occasional world pvp when I go hunting for it.

I find the warlock quiet boring to play, its fun for a while but you start to see it's limitations after a shadow priest in comparable or worse gear is pumping out considerably more dps. Great farming class though. There's a place in Hyjal where mobs drop 1g+ each and cloth, greens/blues/epics etc., and on the warlock (demon spec) I was pulling everything within range (maybe ten+ mobs at a time) and taking them all down while staying either full or just losing a little health, mental for that kind of stuff and very fast at levelling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

I'll be leveling my usual combo of priest and rogue, have considered them both my main since early TBC. Priest for PvE and rogue for PvP, however since Cata ive just been doing BG's and arena, so both are pvp.

However not too mad about the new talent trees for priest/rogue.. Priests has some fun in it i guess.. Rogues is just so very underwhelming, the end tier talents for rogue are just way too ****, not one of them i can see as being any use :(

I dont really have much else of a choice if im gonna continue playing on outland, too expensive to transfer characters, so my DK, shammy and mage will probably remain untouched for next expansion stuck on Sunstrider :(

I have a warrior in the making too on outland so may use him for tanking raids etc, i enjoy tanking and like the lack of que times with them ;D

Monk? No ty, learned my lesson with the DK, enjoyed him alot but everybody seemed to have one, getting a raid spot in a decent guild was problematic as they were in such low demand.. So predict the same will be for monks..

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I'm out of touch with DPS classes for this tier of raiding but from what I can see there are very few classes that are struggling in the hands of a somewhat decent player. In the LFRs I have been in I'm not seeing the same pattern of class dominance that you could have predicated say in a PUG ICC run. It's obviously a combination of gear and skill in LFRs but the latter shines through. I am putting out serious numbers and pushing top 5 on most bosses in a horrible mix of gear. Similarly on my Ele Shammy I am undergeared but still pushing decent numbers and breaking the top 5 on a regular occurance. Each LFR is different for me though, I am seeing Hunters dominating, Warlocks dominating, Rogues dominating. Only class off the top of my head that I am not seeing pushing massive numbers on a regular basis is Druids and again that could be down to a skill thing. That gives me a bit of hope for MoP that regardless of the class I play I can be very competitive in an LFR environment and I think that will translate to a normal raid mode as well. Scale will play a big part when it comes to heroic progression but thankfully I can ignore that, hopefully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think its pretty much the norm now that a player should have three classes, covering multiple class roles in order to fill in various spots.

These characters should be treated like mains. Thats the way I've operated since ICC. and if raiding in CATA proved anything, is that the above will hold me in good stead going forward.

So in that regard I will be taking the following characters to MOP, levelled in this order.

Warlock DPS
    Paladin Tank
    Shaman Resto

And then I'll take up everything else outside of raiding.

My main concern at the moment is planning for raiding. I'm no longer relying on ATT, as it appears that there isn't much buzz/enthusiasm. Cataclysm was an entire waste of time, with me being replaced, dropped and essentially ****ed about a bit so I'm not relying on a group that is spontanous, eradic and will probably quit in a relatively short time.

So I'm looking into some other guilds that will have a decent raiding time and roster for MOP, and keeping my options open.

Thats my main prio/concern for MOP

Having a guild that will remain active and clear content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Easy decision for me, its the warrior, very underpowered in regards to pvp at the minute and so far MoP has no favours in store for us but I will still be playing mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Warrior was my first character in vanilla, tanking, dps, pvp grinding old ranks, raid leading et all when 40 mans were the thing. Enjoyed it an awful lot but it lost a lot of fun for me. I hear the stances might be going in MoP, always annoyed me having to work the stances in to pvp especially. I'd play Protection spec with the warrior in pvp these days as it's more of a fun spec to play, even if it takes ages to actually kill someone other than those in poor gear :p Warrior I levelled to 84 last weekend (from 80) but I gave up, just doesn't hold an interest to me any more I guess.

Rogue I enjoyed a lot, still do, but it feels overpowered in pvp. Have the rogues professions maxed with JC/Ench and it's geared great for random pvp and not too bad for LFR with the gear I've been getting from there. I like it, I like the class itself, it's a fun class to play.

I think at this stage I'm still edging more toward the Paladin with it's enjoyable priority system (as Ret dps) rather than set best rotations. Healing as holy is also quiet enjoyable, almost instant groups too and though I'm not interested (I've no time any more) in hardcore or even just organised raiding, it's nice to have a class that can do good dps, great healing and phenomenal tanking all in one that would be desired to take on a raid.
    A third talent spec option would be nice though :) perfect example of a class that needs it.
    I'll level up the DK when I get time and patience to sit down and do it, then choose from there.
    I'll end up eventually levelling them all up to 90, altaholic for sure, and it's nice to have all professions maxed and available but ah, we'll see how it goes. Priest is still impressing me, both as holy and shadow (disc spec sucks but maybe that's just me!) and I haven't got back into the Druid for months, so either might sway me still.

I think it's the lucky procs you can get on the Paladin (ret) in pvp that gives me most enjoyment, few lucky procs and you seem like you've one shot another high geared pvp'er - throw in a /spit to rub it in afterwards and I'm happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

Same old same old; Priest. I've tried alts once in a while, but ever since TBC, it's been the priest. Plus, it's the class I've most gotten used to.

Haven't played since New Year's, but all this talk of Shadow being awesome, whut? I mean, the pewpews are nice, but from an arena perspective, I'd stick with disc, unless shadow got buffs during my absence.
    Side note, disc isn't terrible. In fact, it's a very viable spec for PvE and especially PvP. For the former, it's not about large heals, but damage mitigation (Power Word: Shield for one), adequate raid healing (PoM, Hymn of Hope, PoH) and utility (Power Infusion, Pain Suppresion, the mana restoring channel thingy, I'm out of touch xD). As for the latter, similar. 'Cept that those thingies also grant survivability and great utility like Mana Burn, Mass/Dispell, the ability to get out of sheep with well timed SWD. Shtuff.

By the looks of MoP, looks like I'm gonna have fun as shadow again :3

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

my main has been and always will be my Pally, He was the first toon I got to level 80 so will always have a soft spot for him. I'm currently working on the feat of strength you get when you get over 9000 achievement points. Only 1230 to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If I'm still playing, then it'll be my Warrior as always.

Despite the overall "weakness" of the class in Cataclysm, I'm just incapable of making my Rogue or Druid my main and always fall back to the Warrior class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

NiallFH wrote: »
    Easy decision for me, its the warrior, very underpowered in regards to pvp at the minute and so far MoP has no favours in store for us but I will still be playing mine

Maybe not quite so easy as I thought then, started playing my level 72 hunter and had a lot of fun, got it to 85 in a few days and gearing it at the minute. It's starting to look like it might be the main for MoP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

After playing a healer for cata, resto shammy and Druid I have decided I want to do some tanking and melee pvp ( could neve get into healer pvp as wanted to make things die ).

So my plan right now is to main as prot pally pve and ret pvp .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Probably stick with my Enha Shammy

Advertisement