Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusally high gas bill

Options
  • 13-04-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just received our bill for the period up until 13th April and its come in at €310.45.

Are last 2 bills for the period up until 7th February was €79.31 and 7th December €42.61.

I can understand the increase between the December and February bills would be due to the winter months and the increased usage but to have an increased bill for the next period of nearly 400% seems a bit absurd.

Can you help?
    Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

estimated bills versus actual bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi gavredking,

Have the previous bills been based on accurate or estimated readings, do you know? And is the latest invoice based on an actual reading? (This would be clearly marked on your bill - see here for a sample)

If the previous readings were underestimated, for instance, and the latest bill based on an actual reading, that may account for the significant increase in recorded usage.

Bord Gáis Networks plan to read your meter four times a year, so four of your bills are based on actual readings while the remaining two are based on estimates.

You can amend a gas reading online here, by ringing 1850 372 372, or by contacting myself or one of our other reps on boards.ie by private message. If you'd like me to have a look at your bill in detail, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi gavredking,

Have the previous bills been based on accurate or estimated readings, do you know? And is the latest invoice based on an actual reading? (This would be clearly marked on your bill - see here for a sample)

If the previous readings were underestimated, for instance, and the latest bill based on an actual reading, that may account for the significant increase in recorded usage.

Bord Gáis Networks plan to read your meter four times a year, so four of your bills are based on actual readings while the remaining two are based on estimates.

You can amend a gas reading online here, by ringing 1850 372 372, or by contacting myself or one of our other reps on boards.ie by private message. If you'd like me to have a look at your bill in detail, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply,

The latest bill is an Estimate, while the 2 previous bills were Actual readings.

The latest bill shows a gas usage of 5455 kWh. The 2 previous were 1221 kWh and 505 kWh.

To my mind there was no excessive or extraordinary usage for the last few weeks.

Is my best bet to take a reading from the meter itself and make any amendment necessary?

Gavin

Absolutely Gavin - see here for info on how to accurately read your gas meter. If you like you can PM me the reading.

If you cannot access the meter we can arrange to send you a meter key, or you can purchase one in any hardware store.

Thanks,

David.

Absolutely Gavin - see here for info on how to accurately read your gas meter. If you like you can PM me the reading.

If you cannot access the meter we can arrange to send you a meter key, or you can purchase one in any hardware store.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

Thnaks for the advice,

If there is a difference from the reading I submit and the bill will this be reflected in the next bill then as credit or will this current bill be amended to reflect any changes?

Thanks for the help,
    Gavin

• Advertisement

Hi Gavin. If you submit the reading within 8 days of the bill's date of issue, it will be amended before any payments are taken. Direct debit payments are due 14 days after the date of issue, in accordance with our credit terms.

If the bill is amended after the payment has already gone through, it will show as a credit on your next bill (if the reading entered is lower) and you can also request a refund. If the reading entered is higher (which in your case I very much doubt it will be!:)) an amended bill would normally issue (unless a reading is due for a forthcoming bill).

Hope this helps.

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Bill 1 - Actual reading - 1221kWh
    Bill 2 - Actual reading - 505kWh
    Bill 3 - Estimate read - 5455 kWh.

Some estimate in fairness:rolleyes:

Hi Gavin. If you submit the reading within 8 days of the bill's date of issue, it will be amended before any payments are taken. Direct debit payments are due 14 days after the date of issue, in accordance with our credit terms.

If the bill is amended after the payment has already gone through, it will show as a credit on your next bill (if the reading entered is lower) and you can also request a refund. If the reading entered is higher (which in your case I very much doubt it will be!:)) an amended bill would normally issue (unless a reading is due for a forthcoming bill).

Hope this helps.

David.

Thanks David.

Appreciate the help.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Bill 1 - Actual reading - 1221kWh
    Bill 2 - Actual reading - 505kWh
    Bill 3 - Estimate read - 5455 kWh.

Some estimate in fairness:rolleyes:

Ya, the jump of over 5 times the usage from our highest bill had my a tad worried to say the least.

Advertisement