Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC router and Vista

• 13-04-2012 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Can someone help please. Have switched over to UPC broadband. Installed ok and laptop working ok. Have a PC with Vista that can see the Cisco router (signal strength very good) but when I try to connect, it will accept the password but won’t connect to it. Anyone have a solution? (UPC couldn’t sort it, gave me the number of a PC support crowd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

can you use any other device to access WIFI? Phone etc? are you putting in the correct password - you should be using the one under the SSID and also, the password is case sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CastleM

Thanks James but phone, Smart TV and laptop all connect. Yes have put in the correct pw.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

if other people can use it and you cant then it is vista and that particular router, if you do a google search you'll see alot of examples.

first thing is to make sure your drivers and up to date and that you have service pack 1 and 2 installed.

the problem that i tried to fix on a friends laptop (same as you outlined above) was the secruity settings, what i mean was that when it was change to wep rather wpa it worked although we didnt leave like that cause the wep leaves you venerable to other people using your interent (lots of students around, cant trust them students)

after that see if your can get a lend of a wireless dongle and see if it works with that, there probaly other things you can try but the nuclear option would be to wipe vista and put on xp or win7 on it or linux if your inclined

Will try what you said. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

OP I had the exact same problem as you are having and the only way that my laptop connected to the upc router was when I changed from vista to windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Try creating a manual network profile with the details to connect. That should get it sorted.

Windows 7 mightn't work - PC possibly too old and I think 7 needs a good bit of memory. Will check out the manual option, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Its a flaw with vista, it doesn't seem to like wpa encryption.

Unfortunately there has never been a fix for this.

Advertisement