Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodies V Atlantic

Options
  • 13-04-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel that the new rebranded Woodies in the centre is inordinately more expensive than the Atlantic shop it replaced.

Both shops are owned by the same company so effectively all they have done is make a few moderate changes to the shop and whack up their prices.

I can see the stratejic thinking behind the move.

1. The more you charge on each item, the more you make, the higher your profits.

2. Atlantic in Blanch was probably canabalising sales and the larger profits per item sold from their Glasnevin shop. Now there is no need for the people from Dublin 11 and Phibsboro to travel out to Atlantic Dublin 15. They were probably coming here anyway to shop in the Centre

3. All the advertising on Woodies was wasted. Now by advertising for Woodies they are also advertising for their Blanchardstown branch, whereas. heretofore they had to advertise for Atlantic separately.

Come to think of it, they didn't advertise for Atlantic much at all.

4 When the Centre first opened all those years ago, they knew that theywould have had direct competition from Dunnes. Dunnes no longer competes with them on their gardening/diy. They have no other serious competitors out here in Dublin 15.

I wonder if they will now rebrand their shop out in Liffey Valley. They have serious competition out there in the form of B&Q (but I hate them as well), plus the cost of the M50 toll.

Wer'e rightly snookered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Murt10 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel that the new rebranded Woodies in the centre is inordinately more expensive than the Atlantic shop it replaced.

Both shops are owned by the same company so effectively all they have done is make a few moderate changes to the shop and whack up their prices.

I can see the stratejic thinking behind the move.

1. The more you charge on each item, the more you make, the higher your profits.

2. Atlantic in Blanch was probably canabalising sales and the larger profits per item sold from their Glasnevin shop. Now there is no need for the people from Dublin 11 and Phibsboro to travel out to Atlantic Dublin 15. They were probably coming here anyway to shop in the Centre

3. All the advertising on Woodies was wasted. Now by advertising for Woodies they are also advertising for their Blanchardstown branch, whereas. heretofore they had to advertise for Atlantic separately.

Come to think of it, they didn't advertise for Atlantic much at all.

4 When the Centre first opened all those years ago, they knew that theywould have had direct competition from Dunnes. Dunnes no longer competes with them on their gardening/diy. They have no other serious competitors out here in Dublin 15.

I wonder if they will now rebrand their shop out in Liffey Valley. They have serious competition out there in the form of B&Q (but I hate them as well), plus the cost of the M50 toll.

Wer'e rightly snookered

the DIY chains are notoriously expensive. You're better off trying builders providers, mom and pop type hardware/paint stores or independent garden centres where the staff actually know what they're talking about and will allow you to haggle discounts with them. With Woodies etc you are just paying for the convenience of having everything in a one stop shop environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Haven't been in the new Blanch Woodies yet, went to Chadwick's Glasnevin today to find their gone and that Woodies has moved onto their spot.
    The shop is bigger but has more interior desigin stuff not hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

2-1 to Woodies. But it could go to extra time.

oh wait, hold on a minute..............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Are they both now owned by the same people?

EDIT: Yes they are

http://www.graftonplc.com/key_brands.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

darokane wrote: »
    Are they both now owned by the same people?
    Yes, I believe that the Atlantic Home care brand is being dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

nudger wrote: »
    Haven't been in the new Blanch Woodies yet, went to Chadwick's Glasnevin today to find their gone and that Woodies has moved onto their spot.
    The shop is bigger but has more interior desigin stuff not hardware.

You could always just go to the Chadwicks in Lucan or Goodwins out the back of Mulhuddart Village ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Or Supermikes, weavers row, clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Sharrow wrote: »

You cannot be serious with that statement, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Sharrow wrote: »

He's even dearer than Woodies!!!

Over the years I've had various tradesmen in the house doing jobs. Without exception, not one of them would go next to near Supermikes.

I suppose Chadwicks on the Strawberry Beds and Goodwins in Mulhuddart are the place to go now. Not forgetting my old favourites Lidl and Aldi for their weekly specials.

EDIT Just had a look at the link put up by Daraokeane. Chadwicks are also owned by the same group. They both have shops in Lucan. Although I suppose one is a builders suppliers and the other is a mishmash of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

saw a rad cover in atlantic for 98 euro lol. bout 5 euros worth of mdf:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ronan45 wrote: »
    saw a rad cover in atlantic for 98 euro lol. bout 5 euros worth of plywood:rolleyes:
    Eh, MDF, not ply - big difference.

And for what it's worth, you'd be some man to throw a rad cover together for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

DIY shops in Dublin are eyewateringly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The price of the plastic plant pots is a bloody disgrace. I don't think B&Q Liffey Valley are much better either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Came across a new garden centre The Garden Yard, in the grounds of the old Farm Hand building opposite Brady's Garage, Old Navan Road, and his prices were very competive in comparsion to Woodies / Atlantic and Plantagen.

Will be going there in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

I was in the new/rebranded Woodies in the centre today, they have made a right mess of it imo, I liked the aisle setup of Atlantic, it was a nicely laid out store for browsing around, Woodies just has stuff everywhere.

I did buy something though, they had a discount section of random stuff possibly from the old Atlantic like battered furniture and different bits and bobs, I got a nice faux leather chair with a broken leg and a bit of paint on it for €20, original price €179. Got it home and repaired and cleaned in 20 minutes, stronger than original too i'd say!

Advertisement