Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pranks you fell for when you were young!

• 13-04-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Right so I'm sure many of you out their fell for a few pranks in your time, what were the best/worst.

-I worked in the bar for a few years when i was younger and remember getting caught by the Heineken Shandy prank on my first week as a lounge boy.
    Pretty much the staff sent me to the pub across the street cause they had run out of Heineken shandy and needed a fresh keg.

So all oblivious and wanting to impress! YES SIR! i jog my way over to the pub and ask the barman there for a keg of Heineken shandy for the pub i was working for. He was quick on the ball and instantly replied "No problem kiddo do you need the red or white one" to which ofc i didn't know, so jogged back to my bar and asked which one they need.. "THE RED ONE OFC, JASUS I'VE PEOPLE WAITING"... **** **** ok ok... run back across, "we need the red one", no problem, hang on there a moment.

So the barman goes down to the basement and returns with an empty keg.."here ya go, tell them to mark it down for back order next delivery"
    Sweat running off me from traveling back and forth to then carry a keg.. i picked it up and said "This keg is a lot lighter then the others", to which the barman snaps back on the ball an says - "Ahh sure the shandy's have alot more gas in em so there lighter" - Grand stuff!

Needless to say on arrival with the keg i was surrounded by about 10 peeps in fits, to which a customer shouts to the barman for a Heineken shandy with red lemonade, went quite a bit of that florescent pink color after seeing and realizing the trap i had fallen into.

- Few years later up at Barman status i knew all of the tricks, so managed to pull a few myself of some innocent new staff for the giggles, but there was one new lounge boy in particular who thought he was smarter then the rest, even tho we caught him on 1 he convinced himself that he would STAND UP to the nasty barmen if they tried to trick him again and it ofc gained him a reputation of being a cheeky little ****e.
    One night it was actually particularly busy and i'd run out of johnny walker and needed to secure a bottle from one of the other bars, this was for a high priority customer back then, there was usually about a handful of these that gave the publicans some "Special privs or something", either way making them wait was considered an insult.

So i call this lounge boy over and tell him, "Run in next story and get me a bottle of johnny walker black" as quickly as you can.
    His response was - "Heh nice try but i'm not falling for that one"......wait..what!!?!?!??? and no matter what i said he wouldn't do his job...little smart arse.
    In the end the manager had to run in and get me the bottle in his stead.

I remember the look on the boys face after the manager presenting the bottle i was asking for.. I didn't see the boy show up for work after that.

So Ah'ers got any decent ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I got sent looking for a short stand for some piece of equipment in one of my first jobs. Feckers:P The worst is when you ask someone for it and they just send you somewhere else. I'm glad it wasn't a long stand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Jacksquat wrote: »
    I got sent looking for a short stand for some piece of equipment in one of my first jobs. Feckers:P The worst is when you ask someone for it and they just send you somewhere else. I'm glad it wasn't a long stand!

I was sent for the long stand, and it was a long stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

'What's that on your shirt?'

POW! Finger to the nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

"Look into this hosepipe while I stand over here by the tap!"

Gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 threestripes

My ole fellow still hasn't give me back my nose:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Training as a chef with another lad, we got asked to go get a bucket of steam. He ran off to get it, I copped on just in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

"Pull my finger"

Was funny till I realised it wasnt his finger :o

Fcukin priests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Stripey paint,flux capacitor,bucket of steam....just some of the many things you might be sent for on a building site.

I once witnessed a lad being sent to shut the door on the van to keep the noise out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Sent down to superquinn while working in dunnes for a trolley jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I used to get sent for tins of elbow grease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Part time job, working in a swimming pool. I was looking after one of the walkie-talkies, and was asked to radio the reception for them to make an announcment over the tannoy, 'If there is an Emma Rodes in the building could she please make her self known to a member of staff' I was a bit suspect, however the other lad was a bit more niave, he asked them to put out an announcement for an 'Ivor Biggin'.

:D

One of the more pool related ones was to count the waves, as it gave an indication to the number of people in the pool.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Was told that you had to be over 7 to drink 7UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Assholesaywhat.

What??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

was sent looking for a glass hammer, also was told to get the keys to the carpark which had no gates or fences or anything enclosing the carpark, i'm sort of a dumb azz really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We were told we couldn't draw glasses on the faces in the sunday papers as they had to be returned the next day.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

no buddy, thats actually the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

One summer I worked in a factory that made work-wear clothing, overalls, jackets and the likes.

One day I was sent looking for camouflage thread. There was a big box of mixed threads and I rummaged right to the bottom and couldn't find it.

I had to go back and explain that I couldnt find it.

"It must be well camouflaged so"

Cue uprorious laughter from the group of lads standing a there.

They laughed at my thread, I threaded them with bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Was anyone ever asked to go to the stores to fetch the hammerfor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Heard of a fella in the Navy who was doing his basic training. On his first time at sea, a guy tells him to ring the ships' laundry and ask for "Seaman Staines" . . . . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

often we would send staff in a supermarket to run up to the deli for the pudding bender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I was away from home and I sent my daughter a text to find the K9P fluid in the shed (April fools day joke).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tartan Paint:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

A ladder to paint the skirting boards or a new bubble for the level! I never got caught by them tho :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My flatmate was working as a porter in the hospital in Galway.

One night he was wheeling a patient down to the maternity ward when a midwife who was dealing with a woman in labour, screamed at him to quickly run down to the store room for a clitoris-clamp and 4 foot of fallopian tube. :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shybookwormy

My best friend had been missing for days in school, so I eventually decided to call her on the phone- just to see that she hadn't died or anything.

She picks up the phone and tells me that she's currently under house arrest hence her long absence. She told me she had attempted to poison her French teacher in school and had gotten caught...

I was literally freaking out- I don't know why but I totally believed her! I talked to her mum and she was like "wtf?" and I felt like the biggest ejit on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Training as a chef I was on work placement in a very busy restaurant that also made fresh pizza's. On a sunday night we were running low on pizza bases and the head & sous chef said we needed a new batch made for next day (it closed on mondays!!!!!). Hadn't made them before so the sous chef wrote out recipe and said they had to be perfect and get it done quickly. All that was on recipe was 1kg flour, pinch of salt, tspoon of sugar and 1 egg. I must have spent 15 minutes trying to bind it together as the chefs were roaring laughing, then I realised!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I've mentioned it here before, but will post it again as it still haunts me, have no idea how I fell for it.
    When I was 11-12, I was leaving my old school to move here. My class were signing a card for me, so my teacher wanted me to leave the classroom so they could surprise me. Instead of asking me to go ask someone for a long stand, she asked me to go ask my German teacher for a "fallopian tube"...and I did it.
    I'm not sure why, because I'm 99% sure I knew what it was...but yeah, marched up to the German teacher's classroom, opened the door and said "Hi, miss x was wondering if she could borrow a fallopian tube?"
    She looked at me like I had two heads... I remember instantly confirming that 1% in my head and just thought "fùck". Mumbled something like "I think I'm on a wild goose chase" and got the hell out of there. Thankfully the German teacher wasn't teaching a class at the time so there was no students in there.
    Shudder to think of it. One of those moments where I could be having a perfect day and then my brain will think of that, leading to this feeling: http://cdn.electricpig.com.s3-external-3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/oh-god-why.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Angeles wrote: »
    I remember the look on the boys face after the manager presenting the bottle i was asking for.. I didn't see the boy show up for work after that.

He's the cheeky prick because you don't understand the moral of 'the boy who cried wolf'?

Got sent for a long stand. Half an hour nicely wasted. I was grand, put my headphones on while I was waiting.

Got sent for a skyhook. Shame.

Got asked to take this copper pipe off the fella on the ground below me - it was hooked up to a small generator. 60 volts of awesomeness.

A friend was sent to get a bottle of air. She was sent to about ten different members of staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Working in a restaurant I had a kitchen porter that said he wanted to train to be a chef, I said fine but you got to know the basics. Gave him chef whites, told him wash his hands and we will start with desserts. I told him to make a meringue base for me. Gave him the basic recipe, egg whites, sugar, vinegar. He gets ingredients, breaks an egg, I said its egg whites not whole eggs, I told him go back into fridge and pick out the eggs with only the egg whites in them,he would know them because they would be lighter!!! He must have spent about 20 mins going through the 30 dozen box of eggs, poor guy never left it down. He did go on to catering college so I'm sure he will pass it on :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I used to work in a factory that did a stock take about once a year! I was shown to a row of shelves that had about 50 large tubs full of screws, nuts and bolts (each one containing thousands of each) and told to count them. Was at it for a few hours before somebody took pity on me and showed me the proper way to do it:o.

Your supposed to weigh one screw on a small weighing machine, and then weigh the whole lot together and the machine will calculate the total lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Put your hand on the electric fence to make sure it is working. It always was!!

Got sent down to a workshop looking for a glass hammer. I did question it but they explained to me that a glass hammer impacted less force than a regular hammer and was used to fit tiles...

Got sent to look for a sky-hook as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Worked with the Irish Lighthouse service. A few good ones unique to them like sending an apprentice up to the duty free on the Granuaile tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A guy I used to work with was sent to the pub down the road for a long stand. After about 15 minutes there he went to another two pubs looking for the elusive 'long stand'. The barman in the 3rd pub took pity on him and explained the nature of the jape. Unfortunately the guy didn't see the funny side and attacked the bloke who'd sent him on the wild goose chase with a stanley knife...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

grindle wrote: »
    He's the cheeky prick because you don't understand the moral of 'the boy who cried wolf'?

Innocent pranks cause no real harm and infact help build awareness and make you actively think about what is being asked of you.. they were not harmful lie's mr boy who cried wolf.

He was a cheeky prick because he smack talked about being smarter then everyone else, even to those in a superior position. Ultimately this lead to his own demise.

• Advertisement

Angeles wrote: »
    Innocent pranks cause no real harm...

The post above yours suggests otherwise. Some people have short fuses, or might've been bullied before.
    When my guy electrocuted me I put a screwdriver to his head. Whaddayaknow, bullies puss out when it's not "havin' the laugh" anymore.
    Pranks only build awareness of who the pricks are... Which I suppose is helpful, in a way.
    Keep at it so!

When my guy electrocuted me I put a screwdriver to his head.
    What were you planning on doing with the screwdriver?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

This thread took a sudden turn!

Squ wrote: »
    What were you planning on doing with the screwdriver?:confused:

Jesus, nothing, I'm a total wimp. Just threatening him. Wouldn't've done it at all, but he only needed to think I might've driven it in, so it worked out fine.
    He just stayed away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jesus, nothing, I'm a total wimp. Just threatening him. Wouldn't've done it at all, but he only needed to think I might've driven it in, so it worked out fine.
    He just stayed away from me.

You seem very edgy and defensive. Is there something your not telling us son, maybe a trip down town will refresh your memory.:pac:

• Advertisement

Squ wrote: »
    Sent down to superquinn while working in dunnes for a trolley jack.
    Was also sent to the butchers for a leg of salmon.

While serving my time, i was sent to the carpenters workshop for a skirting ladder. In fairness to the carpenters, they made me upo a little 6" ladder out of 1/2" batton.

My supervisor wasn't happy to have the joke turned on him in front of the lads..
    Lesson learned my side.. take your initiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

I was sent to the shop by my uncle years ago for a few bits one of which was elbow grease!! He got married 2 years ago and as his present I gave him a bottle of Elbow Grease its a spray cleaner they sell in the €2 shop. It made for a nice joke and a cheap present ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I told me ex that if an Albino stands under a light for a minute and you hit the switch, they'll glow in the dark. She believed me, and I never told her otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

my boss sent one of the lads that used to work with me to the hardware store (the boss's brother worked at) to buy a packet of skyhooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

New bubble for the spirit level, still ashamed.

Most people in pubs and the likes will have heard of gas for the optics, shine for the kegs and the rest of them. Lad I worked with a few years ago was sent for red lemons to make red lemonade, after involvement of about 6 unaware but quick witted people he returned with half a lemon inside half a red bell pepper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

I think harmless pranks are fun and can help break the ice with new staff members. In my job tho we have been warned that any kind of pranks will result in a formal written warning as it is a form of bullying!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

danois wrote: »
    I think harmless pranks are fun and can help break the ice with new staff members. In my job tho we have been warned that any kind of pranks will result in a formal written warning as it is a form of bullying!!!!!
    Seriously?

My mate had a charity cake sale in work last year and a new hire was saying how great it was. He was then informed that it was coming up to 'fancy dress Friday' for charity, which of course wasn't true. Que the new hire turning up to work on Friday dressed as batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Cheeky lad: ''Theres updog in your hair! ''
    Me: ''What's up dog?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Cheeky lad: ''Theres updog in your hair! ''
    Me: ''What's up dog?''

I presume you mean updoc or else I am suddenly going to feel very old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Draupnir wrote: »
    I presume you mean updoc or else I am suddenly going to feel very old.

I thought it was meant to be updoc too, but hardly anyone agreed with me. Or maybe, I'm just falling for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement