Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pranks you fell for when you were young!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hide the sausage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I thought it was meant to be updoc too, but hardly anyone agreed with me. Or maybe, I'm just falling for it.

Are all of these people of an age where they think Bugs Bunny came into existence specifically for Space Jam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

To stay on topic, a mate was sent to a shop to buy Lil-lets (in place of clorets obviously) for the managers sore throat on his first day working in a city centre clothes retailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I sent a lounge boy out to mob the puddles in the beer garden one night when it was raining. An off duty manager who was in the sheltered area with some friends came in asking us wtf was he doing. I told him expecting him to moan but he just said to carry on and leave him at it until he copped on.

A lounge girl took pity on him after another few minutes and brought him inside.

The other pranks included the usual long stand, flux capacitor for the washing machine etc. The place was big enough to have a few separate bars but all staff had to work them so all bar staff were on the ball for pranks at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

1. Watching the Rose of Tralee.

Mam <straight faced>
    "I remember when I won that" *sigh*
    Tore the place apart looking for the Tiara.

2. Mam and Aunt went to a cash and carry and brought home lots of stuff, chocolate bars, sweets etc. A massive haul.

"Where did ye get all them? :D"
    Aunt <straight faced again> "We robbed them from the shop"
    A fire engine siren just happened to be audible. Perfect timing.
    Aunt "That must be the Guards, they caught us!"

Cue, frantically hiding the dodgy merchandise under the coats under the stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Draupnir wrote: »
    I presume you mean updoc or else I am suddenly going to feel very old.
    I thought it was meant to be updoc too, but hardly anyone agreed with me. Or maybe, I'm just falling for it.

I thought it was "upsexy"

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

When my brothers or sisters wanted me to go to the shop for them, they'd convince me to do it by timing me... not so much a prank, more stupidity on my part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

In the last pub I worked in their was a few good ones, sending the loungeboy to the pub down the road for: banana juice, fresh ice (make sure he dosn't give you the frozen stuff) all the usuals. Sending him out to wash the empty kegs etc.

I wasn't there but they sent one lad down to get ice from the other pub with a big paper bag. By the time he got back the bag was falling apart and he was trying to keep it together :D

I was sent to the clothes shop across the road from the cd shop I was workin in to "ask can you borrow the activator for the security tags, she'll know what you talking about". I was 16 and was mortified when the shop full of woman looked at me like I had 10 heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

New teeth for a saw.
    Bucket of steam.
    Stripey thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

Rubber nails
    Left handed screw driver
    2 foot key

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

As a kid I was told by my brother that if my hand was bigger than my face I was going to get cancer. So I put my hand up to my face and my brother gave it an almighty smack resulting in tears and snot running down my face from my bashed nose and him roaring his head off laughing, the get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Flaker wrote: »
    As a kid I was told by my brother that if my hand was bigger than my face I was going to get cancer. So I put my hand up to my face and my brother gave it an almighty smack resulting in tears and snot running down my face from my bashed nose and him roaring his head off laughing, the get.

Thats so funny, thank you for that. LOL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

My older next door neighbour told me that when you put mentos in coke it turns blue. I tried it in class and ended up looking like I pissed myself. So I robbed his Mitre football from his garden and sold it in a jumble sale for £3 to recoup the cost of my lost coke bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Basically listing all of these pranks here means that they have effectively been killed - i.e. the odds of them working on anyone are now a lot less? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Basically listing all of these pranks here means that they have effectively been killed - i.e. the odds of them working on anyone are now a lot less? :(

Well the whole world is hardly on boards now are they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

68Murph68 wrote: »

Yes on your first day in a job, the only thing you'll think back to is that Boards thread about pranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I went for a long weight.. in hindsight it was 25 minutes off the job and it was the boss that got me, so eh... needless to say i won that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

a chap I worked with got sent for a bucket of steam....oh how I laughed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

One of my classmates was sent to get a fallopian tube when on work experience in secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Few smart ass mates sent me to the shop for a bag of sweets called French Letters, the old man behind the counter told me I was brazen little pup with a foul mouth. I was like wtf :confused: until I went back outside to everyone laughing at me, b*&*"!ds :mad:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=584600

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Tartan Paint:rolleyes:

,bubbles of Spirit Level, and a Reach-Around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

First day on the job and was asked to go to the maintenance guys and ask for a long stand and a sky hook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

grindle wrote: »
    I put a screwdriver to his head. Keep at it so!

Was it a left handed screwdriver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

I was at a birthday party that had a bouncing castle, fizzed-up backflips, the craic etc. I was told by some older cousins that the next day the ground where the castle had been would be bouncy. For some reason I believed them, attempted a somersault straight away & broke my collarbone.

Making up stuff to tell children is some of the best fun to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 lucowell

About 3years ago was at a house warming party for my uncle, my 25 year old friend shows up with a bottle of wine...i decided i would wind him up,went like this...

Me:"thats a lovely bottle of wine,where did you get....oh wait...sure its out of date aidan.....
    Aidan: its WHAT!? 2001!? you would think they would have taken that off the shelf by now...JESUS!

Off he goes back to the offy and returns 20mins later with a face like thunder!! i like to remind him of it on a weekly basis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

My brothers a chef and I was a porter in a restaurant when one of the commi chefs asked could he go for a quick piss.

My brother asked him to de-seed and chop a dozen red chillies first

The screams outta the jacks was hilarious, the whole kitchen was outside the second he went in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wasislos

pranks?

family
    friends
    community
    gardai
    mi5
    fbi

hopefully someone writes a comical masterpiece on my life. looooooool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Once worked with a plumber who sent me to get a glass hammer in his van. Had a good laugh at that one after half an hour looking for it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I was asked to go for a crate of banana juice. They didn't get me though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Started in a pub, first day one of the regulars asked me for a pint of brandy. Don't know why he thought it was a joke on me, I said I'd call his bluff - grabbed a pint glass & started reaching for the optic.

The look on his face was priceless. Think he was working out the bill if he was made pay for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

A friend of mine was working as lounge boy, on his first night he was sent out to the ice machine to seperate the crushed ice from the cubed.

Eejit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

We used to take the píss out of the apprentices all the time in work. Sent them for long stands, flux capacitors etc etc.
    One of them was sent to the shop for a can of coke and a packet of long division. He actually went and asked for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

At a house party I was at when I was 17, one lad got really pissed and had to be dropped home. No taxis would come out to where we were so my friend decided to. I had to stay behind because there wasn't enough room for everyone (and 'cause the driver had probably been drinking) and off they went on a short spin. Should've only taken fifteen minutes.

They were gone for maybe an hour when I got a phone call.

"Hello is this <name>?"

"Yes."

"Hi, this is Doctor Pseudonym* from Galway Regional Hospital. You were at a party earlier tonight with (my friend's names)?"

:eek:

"Yeah, I was. I'm still at (my friend's name)'s house. Is everything okay?"

"No, I'm afraid not. The car they were travelling in had collided with another car in Salthill. It's very serious. There's been only one survivor, (my friend's name) and he gave me your number."

:eek::eek:

"Right."

"Okay. Well we have the address and the police are on their way to take a statement from you and give you a lift home. They'll be there in half an hour. Bye."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Then my friends rolled up alive and well about half an hour later. I spent that half hour worrying about telling your man's parent what the fuck happened.

* I've forgotten the fake name since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

In primary school I was told to "smell the cheese"

BAM!

A noise bleed that lasted 30 minutes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Had my father grabbing my by the hair and saying "ah feck, you've got updoc in your hair". To which I spent the next 20 mins asking him "what's updoc?... Tell me, what's updoc?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

My badminton club were organising a meal out, and someone decided it would be an "Egyptian themed" night.

Around a week before, I was chatting to a friend from the club (big guy, six foot two, heavy build, very hairy body...). To wind him up, I told him that the night was to be fancy dress. To my surprise, he took me perfectly at my word, and replied, quite seriously, "right, I'll get out my toga then".

It turned out that he actually had attended a fancy dress several years before, to which he had worn a toga!

I kept it up for a number of days before telling him the truth.... If he actually had turned up in the toga, I'd have gone through the ground :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My Dad once told me when the ice cream truck plays its music, it meant the ice cream was all gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

For years my dad convinced myself and my sister that you could only get scrambled egg if you kicked the chicken up the ar5e.

He convinced us as well that the hazard lights button in the car was the ejector button and we'd go flying up through the sunroof if we pressed it... my sister only stopped believing this one at the age of 16 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We once convinced a guy to walk down to the boiler room, there was no electrciity , so we asked him to check out the fuse box, so we told him to go down and light a match, when he got down there.. But, what he didn't know, was that there was an exposed gas leak, and he ended up killing himself by causing a massive explosion, we laughed for days at that one... silly noobies.

• Advertisement

"If your hand is the same size as your face, you're going to die from cancer".

I can't count how many bloody noses I received from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

"If your hand is the same size as your face, you're going to die from cancer".

I can't count how many bloody noses I received from that.

So you fell for it more than once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

antoswords wrote: »
    So you fell for it more than once?

He had a brain tumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

cassel16 wrote: »
    When my brothers or sisters wanted me to go to the shop for them, they'd convince me to do it by timing me... not so much a prank, more stupidity on my part

Go on, I'll time you! I fell for that one every time too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My friend's ex convinced her that alligators could fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I remember been sent out by the lads to buy a left handed screwdriver.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

My dad, as an apprentice painter, was sent to Stores for a paintbrush for corners, about a day after starting at age 14 (1950s). The Storeman, who was well cheesed off after having dealt with a wave of mugs coming up asking for glass hammers, stripey paint, ladders for skirting-board, long stands, buckets of steam and so on, asked who sent him and on hearing a certain name, picked up a new 4-inch brush and cut it to a point with a wallpaper scissors. Dad went back to the job, where all the painters were waiting to see how the latest mug got on and handed the pointy brush to the sender, which produced a huge laugh from everyone except the sender.
    I fell for the long stand and flux capacitor ones, thirty years later.

great fun, though.

Stovepipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I worked for a race horse trainer when I was 15. During my first week I was told to go down to the barn and ask for a skirting ladder and a tin of elbow grease. I went down to the barn, climbed onto a stack of hay bales and went to sleep for an hour. When I got back I told them I was sent around the other yards, but no one had them... They tried it again the next couple of days until they realised what I was up to and then were upset that I was wasting work time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I worked as a lounge girl when I was 15 and a bit of a dozy cow:o
    I got them all 'go downstairs and get me a skirting board ladder/ a bucket of hot ice', or somebody asked for tea one time and I actually went back down and asked them did they want circlular or square teabags.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 ieoinu

Colleague left two dvd's from xtravision in work that he was going to return on his lunch break. Quick phone call to a friend and a switcheroo of the discs with ones of a 'choice' genre and explicitly pictured labels and the trap was set. An hour after he returned them he got a polite and professional phonecall from the girl from the shop apologising to trouble him but he had put the wrong dvds in the box. When asked which ones he was only told probably ones from your own collection. He returned from the shop a short while later redder than a baboons arse.

Worked in another place and common tasks for new staff were to go to the store for, stripey or polka dot paint, a bubble for a level, a box of sparks for the grinder etc. Regular customers would join in too. It all came to a head when a new part timer told a customer to F#@k off when he was asked for a chalk line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement