Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best option for selling a non-running car?

• 13-04-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 1998 Rover 600 1.8 (the Honda-based engine) that's been sitting up outside my house for the last year or so that I really should be getting rid of at this stage. Aside from a good clean and valet, it'd need a battery charge, a new timing belt and a passenger side wing mirror to get through the NCT would be

I've been quoted over 500 to get the timing belt (and water pump) done and tbh, that's probably more than the car's worth NCT'd and running. So, what's best to do with it? It's a big enough car so I presume it'd be worth a couple of hundred in scrap?

It was the "luxury" model from the end of the car's run with full leather, walnut dash surround, air con, alloys etc. and there's under 80,0000 miles on the clock (guy I bought it from was a motorcyclist) and four decent tyres on it so it seems a shame to crush it or at least for it not to be broken for parts since surely the leather interior and wheels alone would be worth a couple of hundred to the right people?

I'm sure I could stick it up on adverts or donedeal as a "spares/repair" job but what do I ask for it? Anyone got a reasonable figure I should be looking for? Or a suggestion of an alternative way of making a few quid out of it before moving it on? Is it worth giving the car a good clean before advertising it at this end of the market or would I be doing the work for no extra cash?

Comments

Ask €400 for it, a basic wash wouldn't go astray. I had one of these years back in 2006, decent cars. The interior and wheels are worth very very little / nothing to be honest. It won't need the timing belt to get through the NCT. When you say it's not running has the belt snapped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not snapped but it would be over-due and I had the camshaft and pulley replaced on it by an indy when the camshaft pulley came away from the old camshaft (actually managed to get the new parts on eBay for under €30 at the time: some old Rover dealership clearing out their store closet!). Obviously when changing the camshaft a new belt should be fitted but at the time I didn't have the cash spare to do it so we just put it back together with the old belt.

I really can't see it as a being financially sensible to spend money on getting her through the NCT as she stands unless you could do the work yourself.

It sounds like all it needs is a wing mirror and a battery to get to the test centre anyway :)

Realistically with a fresh NCT it wouldn't fetch more than €550 I'd say, an NCT test is €50 and a battery and mirror even second had would come to that too at least, so if you got €300 for it as is you wouldn't be doing too bad, once it starts off a jump and can drive away you should see €300 for it if it's as "good" as it sounds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A mechanic or part time motor trader may be interested in it where they may be able to get the timing belt changed at cost price of the parts and change it themselves.

I'd only scrap it as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

My dad had a 620i for years, brilliant car. In fact its parked at my house inside my own garage under a cover. Has not been driven in years but I can't bring myself to sell it because it is pretty mint with all extras and has sentimental value to me.

unfortunately they are worth nothing really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement