Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatpac 70/90 oil burner

• 13-04-2012 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I have an external heatpac 70/90 oil burner. Was running ok until 2 days ago. Won't fire up now. It's not a case of having run out - or that it's not getting the oil feed.

Anyone any ideas where I could start to troubleshoot this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Anyone? Even if i'm not to fix, I'd like to get some idea as to whats likely to be wrong and what its likely to cost to sort out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Has the burner gone to lockout ?? (light eluminated on control box).
    Has the boiler overheated ?? (Check the highlimit stat, small button next to control stat.)

Firstly, apologies for not coming back at the time and replying to your post above Billy. As it turned out, I just got preoccupied with other things - then a few weeks ago - just before start of heating season, I got the burner serviced - and he resolved whatever was at issue. I asked him about this - but he didn't really say specifically what was at issue.

Anyways, a few weeks on from that - and having used the burner for a couple of weeks, it now won't ignite. I had no reason to believe there was an issue with flow of oil - but I checked the tank - and then bled the burner -and there doesn't seem to be an issue there. When I press the reset button, it seems to go through the startup process - there seems to be a supply of oil - but I don't notice any attempt at ignition. Following Billy's suggestion above, I've pressed what I think is the 'stat reset button ( LINK 1 ) - then tried a reset - but no change.

As regards lockout -and a red light being illuminated - I can't see that - but maybe I'm missing something? I'm not even sure where the 'control box' is? Is that where the wires are shown in this pic here? => LINK2

Someone had remarked last week that there was black smoke coming out from the back of it and that I should get it serviced. I was a bit baffled by this as it's just after a service!

The only other 'controls' I can see are these - right at the top of the unit - here => LINK3

Has anyone any idea what else I could try in troubleshooting this?

I'm sorry to say it but doesnt sound like your boiler was correctly serviced, did you get a service report and flue gas analysis print out ??

If the burner was putting out black smoke its likely the photocell has blacked and shut all down, it will need cleaning but with the burner incorrectly set it will just blacken again and lock out, can you get your "engineer" back ??

I'm sorry to say it but doesnt sound like your boiler was correctly serviced
    I have no knowledge of such things but the boiler going pear shaped 5 weeks after service didn't sound right to me either.
    Did you get a service report and flue gas analysis print out ??
    No, I didn't. I assume the former lists what was one or repaired? What exactly can be determined from a flue gas analysis? Presumably, they use some sort of diagnostics kit to test that?
    If the burner was putting out black smoke its likely the photocell has blacked and shut all down, it will need cleaning but with the burner incorrectly set it will just blacken again and lock out, can you get your "engineer" back ??
    I've left a message with him to call.

• Advertisement

No, I didn't. I assume the former lists what was one or repaired? What exactly can be determined from a flue gas analysis? Presumably, they use some sort of diagnostics kit to test that?

A service report and flue gas analysis print out would tell you exactly what he had done and exactly how the burner was performing on completion of the service, and having such equipment would also give an indication that the engineer knows what he is doing, its standard equipment for real service Engineers.

If you cannot get the "Engineer" back check out the Oftec website and find a local Oftec Registered Engineer who has to have the equipment as part of his registration, rule of thumb when looking for an Oil Engineer, ask if they have FGA equipment, if they say no, say goodbye.

http://www.oftec.org/Technicians/Index

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

One of the more common faults I have found is that the light sensor on the burner unit has been covered with a film of soot, and, as the sensor cannot register the light from the ignited fuel it locks down the burner. I have a Riello 40 burner and the sensor is located on the control unit which can be slid out after undoing the 2 screws on either side. You would know once you see it if it's the issue, you would also need to find out why the sensor is sooting up.

Hope it helps.

One of the more common faults I have found is that the light sensor on the burner unit has been covered with a film of soot, and, as the sensor cannot register the light from the ignited fuel it locks down the burner. I have a Riello 40 burner and the sensor is located on the control unit which can be slid out after undoing the 2 screws on either side. You would know once you see it if it's the issue, you would also need to find out why the sensor is sooting up.

Hope it helps.

I believe i have just explained to the OP that the photocell is sooted up, but cleaning the photocell isn't going to rectify the cause of the soot forming in the first place, he needs an Engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

agree 100% billy just ask the question i wish all would but price is the
    factor not the quality of service im afraid only regular customers know what they
    are getting

Thanks to you all for your comments. I got it sorted - albeit that I'm p***ed off with the first guy. Not only was it not done properly the first time out, when I contacted him and asked him to put it right, he said he wouldn't be available for a week. It's one thing to not service it properly - but it's quite another - when, a customer comes back and points out that 5 weeks after a 'service', it's ground to a halt...and that doesn't prompt the guy to put right what he messed up on previously. Is there a 'rate my' site for tradespeople?

• Advertisement
Advertisement