Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go??

Options
  • 13-04-2012 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all, I am having a very rare and long awaited night out tonight with my BFF :-)) and I don't know where to go. We are based in rush so will be looking towards either rush or skerries but where to go?? We are both 40yo (holy wrinkles batman!!) so want to be somewhere where we are not old enough to be everyones mother, would like a lively pub, some music, a bit of talent (our age, not teenagers) but not jammers! Also would be great if we didn't end up in a bar where everyone knows everyone else except us and we feel like we weren't invited to the party!! I am considering: blue bar skerries (too young/ soulless): Nealons (a bit clicky, no music): the harbour bar rush (never been there): strand bar rush (too clicky, no music). Would really appreciate your input.
    Thanks a mill
    A :-x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Blue Bar or Ollies is what I would suggest.

Good food in both aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Targer

Thanks Sean, I thought Ollies might be a but young, crowded, clicky for me, haven't been there since it was The Coast!! Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Both of the above suggestions are good for what you are looking for. As for your opinions of some bars being 'clicky' - I drink in all of them on a semi-regular basis & feel that you couldn't be more wrong. All are very friendly spots.

The only others that I'd suggest are The Snug next to Ollies, or Raffs on the Corner (formerly The Coast). The latter being newly opened so couldn't possibly have had enough time to become cliquey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

As for your opinions of some bars being 'clicky' - I drink in all of them on a semi-regular basis & feel that you couldn't be more wrong. All are very friendly spots.

Do you and your clicky friends think that yeah!! I joke I joke

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Balrothery Inn is good for a few drinks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 PurplePoodle

Balrothery Inn is good for a few drinks..

Seconded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

What's the Gladstone like these days? The OP might appreciate a pub were women arn't a common sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Targer

Hey guys, thanks for your input and special shout out to Hill Billy for setting me straight on the correct spelling of cliquey, and for pointing out that I 'could not be more wrong' about the pubs he goes to on a semi- regular basis. I'm not often wrong, so enjoyed that particular post.
    Anyhoo, a great night was had all round. Went to blue bar and after a couple sherries and four (very pricey) prawns, we settled nicely into our seats and stayed there for the night. Perfick.
    Was a pity there was a parking ticket on my car when I arrived down to collect it this morning, but luckily I'm too old and wise to let the small things stress me out :-)). Live and learn.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm glad that you had a good night.

FWIW - I stuck my head into Raff's this afternoon to check it out. Very hotel bar-like. Meh.

Headed straight to The Snug for a few creamy pints & a read of my paper. Good tunes in the background too.

Advertisement