Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Rein Classes

Options
  • 13-04-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have experience in Lead Rein Classes?? Just looking for the format of the classes, whats expected etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Children are asked to walk and trot, so should be capable of trotting a bit.

I haven't been involved in years, but the last time I was there were 3 phases to it:
    1) the children walked in a group, as with a normal class
    2) the ponies pulled up along one side of the arena and were asked to trot to the end of the 'ride'
    3) the individual show - walk and trot

It used to be a stipulaton that leads should be attached to the noseband rather than the bit (so that it was the child who was in control, not the adult - didn't always happen in reality, though!).

In more recent years, it seems that it's just a turn out competiton, with parents and children wearing matching outfits - both mothers and fathers in formal suits, with matching ties, and wearing hats and bowlers, respectively. Some will carry a cane, and have leather leads. Children are turned out excessively, with ribbons and badges/mini rosettes (the things they stick in the lapel) everywhere. Ponies also tend to be very flash, too! A lot of the fun is gone from it. :(

Sample images can be found here and here.

If you're not too fussed about all the 'to do' surrounding the class and you just want to give your child an outing and show ring experience, then just dress smartly and have fun... That's what my mum did with me - I didn't have a show pony, and we usen't dress in matching clothes, and I wasn't yelled at to smile at all times, but I had fun and felt very grown up walking around with people watching me - and when I came home with a rosette (we were always 'next' after the show ponies, usually 4th or 5th) I was so chuffed! It's what you make it, and if you put the emphasis on having a fun day out, then your child will enjoy it!

(On a side note, not all shows have rosettes for all the competitors (If they do, the programme will usually state 'sweets and rosettes to all), so it's always worth while to get a few blank rosettes or 'special' rosettes, and have them for your child so they 'win' a prize. It's especially good if your child is the first one in the class who doesn't get a rosette (i.e rosettes for 1st to 4th, and s/he's 5th) - that always sucked for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thanks Convert.. appreciate the detail in your post.. We are doing the classes just for fun & will probably do the RDS aswell, Pony pretty enough & my little girl is well able to ride but don't want to go into it without having a clue:)

As for the matching outfits Jeepers! am too young to be wearing a manky knee length navy skirt with matching jackets - for Dublin do you think I could wear cream Jods, nice pair of leather boots & tweed jacket?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

my daughters and I have competed in lead rein for the last 3 years and there is normally 2 classes for it - lead rein and family lead rein. The first one is like what you see in the pics above with the parent and child in matching outfits and is taken very seriously. The latter is a much more relaxed affair and while they still have to have the ability to ride the horse it is more fun for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

CharlieIRL, is it ok to drop you a PM as have couple questions?

of course, hope i can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

charlieIRL wrote: »
    my daughters and I have competed in lead rein for the last 3 years and there is normally 2 classes for it - lead rein and family lead rein. The first one is like what you see in the pics above with the parent and child in matching outfits and is taken very seriously. The latter is a much more relaxed affair and while they still have to have the ability to ride the horse it is more fun for the child.

It really depends on what part of the country you're in, and what shows you're attending, and who's running the show. A lot of shows only have the one class. That said, however, one show I go to has an affiliated and a local class, and it's stipulated that the same combination of child and pony must not compete in the two classes. However, parents who have 2 or more children and ponies often just swap the riders, so 'professionals', if you want to call them that, can still compete in local or family classes. In a lot of cases, the shows don't regulate the classes all that much as they just want the entry fee. I think a local or family class should be just that, and professionals shouldn't be pot hunting in them. It's a pity that a lot of places don't regulate their classes more.

its a pity they are not kept seperate alright but i've noticed that its not always the same winners in both classes which is great. We mainly compete around the midlands and they always have the following classes:
    CLASS 31 Open lead Rein Class for ponies, mares or geldings, 4 yearsold and over not exceeding 123cm. suitable for and to be ridden by children 7 years and under.

CLASS 32 Family Pony Lead Rein.

In the family class all competitors get a rosette which is great for the smaller kids.

Advertisement