Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Skreen

Options
  • 13-04-2012 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello, I am moving to Sligo (Skreen) in June with my 3 and 2 year old.

I have only visited the area once for a couple of days and have yet to get my bearings.

Does anybody have any knowledge of local pre schools, toddler groups and primary schools in Sligo? When do I need to register my 3 year old for school and how do I do this?

The house is in a very rurual area and I am keen to make contact with the outside world and start getting to know the local area. Is there anything going on for toddlers that we can get involved in?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Might be wrong, but I think this is the nearest National (Primary) school to Skreen.

Call the school speak to Headteacher/Secretary, tell them the story.

They should also be able to tell you other info about services nearby.

Scoil Náisiúnta Baile an Luig
    Béal Trá (Beltra)
    Sligo
    Co. Sligo

Tel: 00353 71 916 6883

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is Highpark National School (primary) in Skreen. No you wouldn't need to register your child for school yet. They usually have open days for registration the May before the child is due to start school in September.

There are a few places for parents and toddlers in Sligo town. Not sure of any in the Skreen area.
    Check out: http://sligofamilyresourcecentre.com/
    http://www.lifestartsligo.com/

There is also a parent and toddler group in the Methodist Hall, Wine Street on Thursdays from 10.30-12

Hope this helps and best of luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Skreen Dromard preschool in community centre can be contacted on the phone number supplied in the attached link, 32716/"]http://www.mylocalnews.ie/articles/866/4/skreen-and-dromard-parish-93/skreen-dromard-parish-bulletin-32716/[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

welcome to the parish....havnt been home in about 2 years but you will enjoy it.very close community,great facilities (for a rural community)for the children. they have really pulled their socks up with community centre.Two schools ballinleg and highpark. Ballinleg would be very small i went their many moons ago, its only a 2-3 teacher school vs highpark would be alot bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Well you will now have a beautiful local beach! Dunmoran Strand and also Aughris on the low tide. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

There used to be a very good toddler group in the health centre in Skreen, I'd imagine it's still going, the woman who set it up did a great job getting funding for toys and books. There's a great community spirit out there, lots going on for kids. Take a trip to the country market in Beltra too and you'll meet plenty of locals. It's on every Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

skreen - my home! yes, the community centre is great and it has a nice new play area at the front that always seems to have people at it whenever i pass. the two primary schools in skreen mentioned above are catholic, the nearest church of ireland school is st paul's in collooney but as all the skreen c of i kids go there there's a bus in and out daily that'll collect your kiddo at your door.

call into the local shop/petrol station ardabrone stores and introduce yourselves, chris and michael are really friendly and should be able to point you in the direction of things if you're stuck. the shop is like a social meeting place sometimes when it's busy! dunmoran strand is a fab amenity and you'll always meet people walking and sandcastle building there in the summer. the health centre is right on the main road and there's also good out of hours gp service. the saturday market down the road in beltra is great and a good way to meet locals as you settle in. keep an eye on the beach bar's facebook page too i think they sometimes have family day bbq's in the summer? in sligo town then, check out the model. they do different workshops and events for kids - a great creative outlet.

it's years since i've lived at home but it's such a brilliant place to be a kid. all the freedom of the country but still within easy reach of sligo town. i only realised how much i missed it after living here in the brown boggy wilds of mayo and i'll be moving back to the green fields and beaches if i ever have kids! :p

Advertisement