Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Summer Already Been Cancelled?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I know its a bit soon to say it but I canna see anything to suggest settled/warm weather on the horizon, a great blob of green sat over us as far as the eye can see on the GFS chart. Does anyone have any predictions to cheer me up? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This is normal weather for April! So my theory is if we are getting this weather in April we will get a good summer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Last time i checked we are still in Spring... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No summer not cancelled, don't want a totally dry summer anyway. Once it is warmer than last year, with rain or thunderstorms now and again to keep the grass growing along with plenty of nice sunshine I will be happy.
    Last summer was good here apart from the temperatures which could have done with being a few degrees higher.
    I think we only got about 30% of the normal rainfall, remember looking for rain at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Min wrote: »
    No summer not cancelled, don't want a totally dry summer anyway. Once it is warmer than last year, with rain or thunderstorms now and again to keep the grass growing along with plenty of nice sunshine I will be happy.
    Last summer was good here apart from the temperatures which could have done with being a few degrees higher.
    I think we only got about 30% of the normal rainfall, remember looking for rain at times...

Eh?

My grass grew like it was on steroids last summer, and due to the pouring rain it was often about 3 or 4 weeks before I could find a dry spell to get out and get it cut. But it was still soaking wet, and wet grass never cuts right and leaves a mess.

I want a dry summer. All the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

NIMAN wrote: »
    Eh?

My grass grew like it was on steroids last summer, and due to the pouring rain it was often about 3 or 4 weeks before I could find a dry spell to get out and get it cut. But it was still soaking wet, and wet grass never cuts right and leaves a mess.

I want a dry summer. All the way.

The grass started to brown on brows of hills at one stage here from the lack of rain, it was weird as the country was divided, the western half of the country got the rain but it nearly all the time died out before it hit this part of the country. I remember the farming weather forecast and it had 30% of average rainfall for Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow and parts of Kildare.

The met eireann summer report

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly_summarys/summer11sum.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Anyone remember the summer of 2003?

The rain kept on coming down that spring with no end in sight. I had a party for the kids the last day of school. I got a bouncy castle with a roof because the weather was so bad.

But the weather got so bad again that the kids ended up going home and getting swimming gear and actually swimming in the bouncy castle the rain was so bad :D:D:D

And then one day later that week the sun came out and it stayed out until the first week in November. I remember walking along the lakeshore in Killarney in flip flops on the 4th or 5th November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I seem to remember the past 4 or 5 Aprils had warm sunny conditions here with temperatures into the low 20s followed by washout summers and then there was last years damp and bitterly cold summer. This year seems different, after an incredibly mild winter and warm March, we are now in a cold April, which I hope is the sign that we will finally have a decent summer hopefully. I dont even mind if May is cold and a washout as long as June, July and August are decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Gonzo wrote: »
    we are now in a cold April, which I hope is the sign that we will finally have a decent summer hopefully.

A cold or warm April really has no influence on what type of summer is ahead, and that is a statistical fact. I hope though that we do get a really hot and humid summer this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would anyone want a humid summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

mike65 wrote: »

FOR THESE OF COURSE!!! :rolleyes:

220px-Chaparral_Supercell_2.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really hope this summer does not end up being 3 months long of the following bbc forecast! this seems to happen every year unfortunately. http://youtu.be/clJkLoU79gM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Gonzo wrote: »
    I seem to remember the past 4 or 5 Aprils had warm sunny conditions here with temperatures into the low 20s followed by washout summers and then there was last years damp and bitterly cold summer. This year seems different, after an incredibly mild winter and warm March, we are now in a cold April, which I hope is the sign that we will finally have a decent summer hopefully. I dont even mind if May is cold and a washout as long as June, July and August are decent.

Couldnt have said it better meself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Couldnt have said it better meself:)
    Neither could I, as April goes downhill (meteorologically speaking) I'm becoming more optimistic for a long over waited decent summer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Irish summers are entirely understandable but completely unpredictable I'm afraid.

So the answer is we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

What ian said and lots of these.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

To help lock in some actual warmth into the air. The last two summers, at least here in the western half of Ireland, were cold, or at least cold feeling. Almost constant polar sourced nagging westerlies, coupled with relatively low RH values, ensured that daytime temps felt colder than what the usual 17c-18c daily maxima suggested. I have felt more warmth under a typical winter humid warm sector at 10c than I did at any point in the last two summers.

Hot, humid, monsoonal type weather will do me just fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Im already having summer... abroad.
    6h2lT.jpg

the entire 3 months of summer last year felt no warmer than the weather we are currently having, I think this summer can only be better but theres nothing to stop it from raining every day. Winter woolies were worn almost every day last summer and the heat was on many occassions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

DOCARCH wrote: »
    This is normal weather for April! So my theory is if we are getting this weather in April we will get a good summer! :)

Last great Summer in 2006 came after a decent April. I think May 06 was a washout though. Was worth it for what followed :)

Also remember April 07 being the warmest on record with a decent May after it. Dont think any of us need reminding how wet June/July and August turned out that year :(

So really you get what you get i suppose and it has no real bearing on what will happen in the following months.

All we need is the jet stream to go north for a few months :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

First of all,to Damo2k-i was in Tempe Az twice and i remember temps like that this time of year.It is Desert heat too so not much humidity:).
    A fisherman was telling me before that a sign of a good Summer is when you see the birds building their nest's high up in the tree's as they know they will be safe enough up there for the months ahead and they wont need to build them lower down for shelter etc.For the last few weeks ive seen plenty of nest's very high up in the tree's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Is there any chance that I'm not going to be freeing my ass off for another month soon? Why is it so cold? I'm a hardy warm blooded person who doesn't mind the cold too much but this is just more than I can handle at this stage. I'm tired of being cold.

nothing unusual about this babybuff. We don't really get proper seasons in Ireland. Spring is any time between January and June and autumn between July and December. Every few years we might get something that resembles winter or summer.
    Examples: December 2010 and July 2006.

This place Omsk in Siberia was in a deep freeze until a couple of weeks ago and now it's 21c at 8pm. http://abonent.omsk.skylink.ru/webcam.php

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So really you get what you get i suppose and it has no real bearing on what will happen in the following months.

+1 one that!

Just to say my theory was not scientific! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Aiel wrote: »
    First of all,to Damo2k-i was in Tempe Az twice and i remember temps like that this time of year.It is Desert heat too so not much humidity:).

I have been here a few times myself. As they say here "it's a dry heat". Its alot easier tobtake without the humidity.

this place was snow covered up to about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I'd love to live in a place that actually has a climate!!

http://abonent.omsk.skylink.ru/webcam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

this place was snow covered up to about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I'd love to live in a place that actually has a climate!!

http://abonent.omsk.skylink.ru/webcam.php

Had a look and first thing that I thought was you need to have some nerves on you to drive across that junction... are the traffic lights merely decorations...

What would it be like in snow!!!! Elmer please post it again if you spot it in snowy conditions :)

The snow won't be back until late Oct/early Nov. The snow doesn't seem to be particularly heavy because the climate in winter is very dry. Even when it does snow the traffic moves normally as they're well used to it.
    There's probably nowhere on earth further from the sea than this place in central Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

eskimocat wrote: »
    Had a look and first thing that I thought was you need to have some nerves on you to drive across that junction... are the traffic lights merely decorations...

What would it be like in snow!!!! Elmer please post it again if you spot it in snowy conditions :)

I was thinking that myself!

I wish this weather would feck off. Need some mild weather now. The trees had started to bud but seemed to have stalled in the last two weeks.

Mean temps at Dublin Airport (my nearest)
    Jan 6.1c Feb 6.6c April (so far) 6.3c
    would you believe it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mean temps at Dublin Airport (my nearest)
    Jan 6.1c Feb 6.6c April (so far) 6.3c
    would you believe it?
    I'd believe completely, april thus far imo has felt much colder day and night than it ever did during the entire winter. Guess I wasnt even that far off:pac:

Advertisement