Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Summer Already Been Cancelled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah its easily the coldest month here in Sligo too out of January 7.1c, February 7.2c, March 8.7c and April 6.7c. Not far off December 6.6c.

This is quite normal. In 2005 there was a very cold April and Summer wasnt at all bad. The ocean is just sorting itself for the Summer season and I d believe we wont see a Northwesterly pattern get stuck like last year and High Pressure will be even closer (last few Summers High was close at times but it had no effect due to Northwesterly Airstream or Lows satg over us like now.

I think most of May will now be cold too but then at the end it will dry up and heat up!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Don't know about everywhere else but its been a great month here so far, sunny most days with some great cloudscapes and plenty of interesting weather around the country. A few degrees cooler than normal but its perfectly fine when the sun's shining, definitely a lot more pleasant than January or February ever were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pauldry wrote: »
    yeah its easily the coldest month here in Sligo too out of January 7.1c, February 7.2c, March 8.7c and April 6.7c. Not far off December 6.6c.

IMT stats fairly similar:

Dec: 6.0c
    Jan: 6.6c
    Feb: 7.0c
    Mar: 8.5c
    April (so far) 6.8c.

As has been said, apart from a few days in March, a remarkable lack of temperature variation over the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

please (live image so will change)

Rtavn3601.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

^^^ Charts like that only materialise in the winter months unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone want to disagree with me now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It is only the middle of June still a good 4 months left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lucreto wrote: »
    It is only the middle of June still a good 4 months left.

Those words sound eerily similar to those said many times last november/december..:( Everyone kept saying oh theres ages left for the snow to come and they kept saying it again and again again until it was may and now were into a crap(well not too bad last couple of days) summer and the heat will probably never come and then well be into a mild winter again with no snow and well be stuck in a horrible cycle of cold summers and mild winters forevermore:(

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Those words sound eerily similar to those said many times last november/december..:( Everyone kept saying oh theres ages left for the snow to come and they kept saying it again and again again until it was may and now were into a crap(well not too bad last couple of days) summer and the heat will probably never come and then well be into a mild winter again with no snow and well be stuck in a horrible cycle of cold summers and mild winters forevermore:(

That thought crossed my mind when I wrote that.

Many tears were shed last winter just waiting and being told there is still time.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think after last winters disaster peoples expectations of the coming winter will not be as high as they were last winter so the dissapointment wont be as severe if it turns out to be another non-event winter.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    i think after last winters disaster peoples expectations of the coming winter will not be as high as they were last winter so the dissapointment wont be as severe if it turns out to be another non-event winter.

Well thats right for me anyway, Im not raising my hopes even a little for a cold winter this year..Wont be even a little disappointed if its not cold,the disappointment and waiting last yr was too much for me:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

bb1234567 wrote: »
    ... and well be stuck in a horrible cycle of cold summers and mild winters forevermore:(

Hello temperate climate!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Hello temperate climate!

in fairness tho I think this temperate climate has gone worse, 'we've had 5 or 6 cold washout summers in a row and this summer looks more of the same, I dont remember such a lengthy run of crap summers during the 80s or 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Hello temperate climate!

in fairness tho I think this temperate climate has gone worse, 'we've had 5 or 6 cold washout summers in a row and this summer looks more of the same, I dont remember such a lengthy run of crap summers during the 80s or 90s.

As far as I remember the weather was more flexible (for want of a better word).
    Definitely summer weather patterns get much more locked in nowadays. When it starts raining it could rain for weeks.

Back in the 80's 90's and early 00's you could get great weather and crap weather side by side and from week to week.
    You could always endure a few days of crap confident that it would pick . High pressure was just around the corner.

That doesn't seem to happen anymore in summer. The highs are miles and miles to the south.
    The patterns seem much more locked in.
    When it's crap in June it invariablystays crap during July and august.

I am not a meteorologist but some thing has definitely changed since about 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - its a long time now since the last decent one(2006). :(

20silkcut wrote: »

I am not a meteorologist but some thing has definitely changed since about 2007.

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day, in that the weather patterns over the last few years seem to be getting more 'stuck' or something. Could well be a perception that is influenced by the moment though but the current weather pattern seems to be with us for the last 2 months with little variation. i.e passing occulsions followed by a slackish gradient with a northerly component. Last winter we were stuck under high pressure zonal conditions with very little day to day variation. Last summer, cool polar maritimes on an almost daily basis etc.

I notice though that the only weather pattern not to get stuck are the decent warm ones from the continent! :mad:

Birdnuts wrote: »

Yeah - its a long time now since the last decent one(2006). :(

we have a great benchmark between this summer and 2006 with the football in Poland.
    I remember watching games during the 2006 world cup played in glorious german summer sunshine and 30 degree heat while outside the window here at home the rain was often pouring (it did not really pick up until July that year)and maybe 15 or 16 degrees. But it does show the fine weather was not that far away.
    This summer Poland at roughly the same position as Germany does not seem to be fairing much better than ourselves.
    The games in Ukraine seem to have the good weather. But last nights game was a downpour in gdansk.
    Interestingly I do not recall much of a weather differential between ourselves and Germany during euro 88. As far as I can remember June 1988 here in Ireland was fairly settled. There was no rain during any of irelands games in Germany in euro 88.
    Going back further the 1974 world cup in Germany was a wash out and I believe a bad summer here too.
    I know it is foolish to draw parrallells between our weather and that of central Europe but it just seems fine weather is so distant at the moment.
    And it is from the continent our heatwaves come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

20silkcut wrote: »
    As far as I remember the weather was more flexible (for want of a better word).
    Definitely summer weather patterns get much more locked in nowadays. When it starts raining it could rain for weeks.

Back in the 80's 90's and early 00's you could get great weather and crap weather side by side and from week to week.
    You could always endure a few days of crap confident that it would pick . High pressure was just around the corner.

That doesn't seem to happen anymore in summer. The highs are miles and miles to the south.

Nah, my mother informs me that there was a good few summers in the 1980s where it rained almost literally non-stop. But, yeah, there wasn't such a long consecutive run of terrible summers. But apart from 1995, the 1990s were no great shakes, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Most summers I have experienced have been pretty similar the only stand outs were 1985 which was the worst summer I can ever remember 2007 was a close second.
    In my memory only 83,84,95 & 2006 have made any impression for long sustained warm periods so we should get another good summer in 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Also 2000 & 2003

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Hang on, wasn't it lovely out during Italia 90? I remember a couple of those matches when it was nice out? Maybe it was only a few days over that summer but I have a good few memories of that summer and being warm.

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Also 2000 & 2003

2003 had a good August - I don't remember June and July being anything to write home about though

Babooshka wrote: »
    Hang on, wasn't it lovely out during Italia 90? I remember a couple of those matches when it was nice out? Maybe it was only a few days over that summer but I have a good few memories of that summer and being warm.

it was definitely a fine day here during the penalty shootout game I remember having the dinner on the patio that day.

Evelyn Cusack on the 9 news weather just there said we are likely to stay on the cool side of the cool Polar front for the next 8 days.

Summer 2011 revisited :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its like the forecast on Fr Ted

There will be rain this week and probably for most of July and August too.

Think September 8th will be a good day

Maybe we should set up a competition where a person tries to guess the next time we get a temperature of 25c.

It might not even BE this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Evelyn Cusack on the 9 news weather just there said we are likely to stay on the cool side of the cool Polar front for the next 8 days.

With a lot more rain unfortunately, we had very dry weather last summer here and it was the west half of the country that got the rain.

I think the same could be said of several recent "summers":( - in contrast winter 2011/12 was buggered for snow lovers by the fact that that we spent 99% of it on the mild side:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CorkMetMan

Northern blocking; southerly tracking lows; rubbish summers.

Northern blocking, southerly tracking lows; great winters.

Why the hell can't these things be around when they're wanted? This summer is rapidly turning out to be another 2007, or indeed 2008 and 2009 as well. 2010 and 2011 were a little better, but only in relation to the three summers before them. Something has definately changed since 2006, and not for the better.

I know we've always had runs of bad summers in the past, but what we've had for the last 5 summers is quite unprecedented for unrelenting rubbish with just short, well spaced breaks of a week or so at best before the above pattern resets.

I just hope we get something out of July and August, but past experience of such prolonged northern blocking as we've already endured this year doesn't exactly bolster the confidence, although I hope I'm proved wrong!

CorkMetMan wrote: »
    Northern blocking; southerly tracking lows; rubbish summers.

Northern blocking, southerly tracking lows; great winters.

Why the hell can't these things be around when they're wanted? This summer is rapidly turning out to be another 2007, or indeed 2008 and 2009 as well. 2010 and 2011 were a little better, but only in relation to the three summers before them. Something has definately changed since 2006, and not for the better.

I know we've always had runs of bad summers in the past, but what we've had for the last 5 summers is quite unprecedented for unrelenting rubbish with just short, well spaced breaks of a week or so at best before the above pattern resets.

I just hope we get something out of July and August, but past experience of such prolonged northern blocking as we've already endured this year doesn't exactly bolster the confidence, although I hope I'm proved wrong!

I wish the Northern blocking would just go but come back later in the year. At least we get some warmth for the summer and get a nice cold winter.

The last thing we want is another winter dominated by an azores high.

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »
    I wish the Northern blocking would just go but come back later in the year. At least we get some warmth for the summer and get a nice cold winter.

The last thing we want is another winter dominated by an azores high.

Oh dont worry itll be gone by november 1st then well never hear from the northern blocking until may 1st again next yr:(

Advertisement