Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Summer Already Been Cancelled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Meteorologicaly the summer is only about two weeks old so we should still hope for summer weather;),but if you follow the the calander summer is half way through:( and does not look good for a good summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the last 90 days. Would make good winter chart . We're stuck at the moment.

500z_90a.fnl.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's sad to look at that chart and realise it'll most likely have changed for the worst going into next winter. I recall a researcher of the influence of Solar activity on the NH weather, suggesting, about a year ago, that blocking in Greenland would be a feature of Summer rather than Winter 2012. He seems to have been right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well, I gave in. I put the Central Heating on this afternoon......June 19th FFS. I had to sleep with the window open in December and January for cryin out loud !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Today is actually something like summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

mike65 wrote: »
    Today is actually something like summer!

Have to agree... Got a lot of gardening done today in glorious sunshine..Not looking great for the latter half of the week so making the most of it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

its depressing to see the NAO negative at this time of year :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is 17C and sunny spells, given how bad this summer has been so far, today seems like a really good day, and up to 6 years ago before our crap summers got going, a day like today would be just a very average day in the summer that most of us would experience at least once or twice a week every week during the summer months, shows how bad our summers have become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dexter647 wrote: »
    Have to agree... Got a lot of gardening done today in glorious sunshine..:)

My back aching already .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Gonzo wrote: »
    today is 17C and sunny spells, given how bad this summer has been so far, today seems like a really good day, and up to 6 years ago before our crap summers got going, a day like today would be just a very average day in the summer that most of us would experience at least once or twice a week every week during the summer months, shows how bad our summers have become.

Have to agree, really is awful that they type of weather we had today is one of the better days :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

i love heavy rainstorms i think its great. another rainstorm this thursday. seems to be a weekly occurance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I hope it clears up for the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway.
    A lot of summer forecasts predicted a good spell of weather for end of June start of July so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

delw wrote: »
    its depressing to see the NAO negative at this time of year :(

The weather gods really have had it in for us recently - no right summer in years and then talking the %%%% with a bbq winter!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Recorded 23.2mm of rain here last night... While we should all be used to summers like this now I really do feel the summer of 2012 could be remembered as one of the worst. I'm trying not to give up hope yet but the models this morning are not giving me much confidence long term:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next Monday to Wednesday looks like our best chance of weather that is not completely crap, temps of 16-20C with sunny intervals and showers, it's about the best we can get for now considering it's another washout cold summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think we are all now starting to get very fed up with this kinda weather
    As a person in their late 30's I have to say the last 10 years Summers are abnormally cold

Yeah in Sligo its been

2000 Cool n cloudy
    2001 Wet and misty
    2002 Cool and Unsettled
    2003 Warm for a few days in August
    2004 Cloudy but mild
    2005 Warm and thundery esp July
    2006 Less warm less thundery but wet
    2007 Cool and very wet
    2008 Cool and Wet
    2009 Cool and wet, dry for some of June
    2010 Cool and Unsettled Warm first week June
    2011 Cool and Unsettled, Warm week in July
    2012 Warm end to May ...Cool and unsettled thereafter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

This Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we have had good weather so does that mean most of the week has been good?

Yes thats a good week

Not here though. It rained a little on all of them cept Sunday

Anyways an average Irish Summer has about 2 sunny days in the week 3 showery days 1 cloudy day and one pssy rain day (Thursday this year).

In the Northwest this is what wev got. These heatwave Summers are a figment of the imagination. Theres been only about 5 in the last 30 years so the other 25 were fairly shtt.

Still the lack of ANY warm temperatures in recent years is a cause for concern.

Also not much cause for optimism when you see it peeing rain in Poland and Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dont remember a June as bad as this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

As long as July isnt as bad as last year we'll be grand:pac::o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have a question about the ground water. The area around where I live (along the Dodder in Templeogue, Terenure and Rathfarnham) is incredibly water logged and the ground is just not getting a chance to dry. As the river in this area burst it's banks pretty violently in October I'm getting worried about what will happen in October/November if the ground doesn't get a chance to dry out. At the moment there is nearly no absorbency in many areas and the rain just sits on the ground when it falls.

I'm nearly 5 months pregnant and walking through half flooded footpaths, some of which were never repaired after the floods last year and are just muddy rubble, is already becoming very difficult for me. If it gets worse as I get bigger it will be completely impassable for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I don't mind the rain at all, in fact, I embrace it :) but really wouldn't mind a significant rise in temps at this stage. Yesterday esp really took the biscuit with a miserable January type max of 11.8c here. A little better today (15.1c) but tempered significantly by the brisk wind which is gusting near gale along with only very brief glimpses of watery sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

iguana wrote: »
    I have a question about the ground water. The area around where I live (along the Dodder in Templeogue, Terenure and Rathfarnham) is incredibly water logged and the ground is just not getting a chance to dry. As the river in this area burst it's banks pretty violently in October I'm getting worried about what will happen in October/November if the ground doesn't get a chance to dry out. At the moment there is nearly no absorbency in many areas and the rain just sits on the ground when it falls.

I'm nearly 5 months pregnant and walking through half flooded footpaths, some of which were never repaired after the floods last year and are just muddy rubble, is already becoming very difficult for me. If it gets worse as I get bigger it will be completely impassable for me.

I wouldn't worry, if history is any guide nary a drop will fall for about 6 weeks starting in late August.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    As long as July isnt as bad as last year we'll be grand:pac::o

not looking too good right now, last July was brutal but this June has so far been even worse I think, certainly wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

is there even a chance of good weather in the foreseeable future or is it more of the same?

Gonzo wrote: »
    not looking too good right now, last July was brutal but this June has so far been even worse I think, certainly wetter.

We really need July to deleiver this year - if its it not looking good by the second week we can kiss another summer goodbye since August is even less likely to deleiver the goods(the last good one being way back in 2003):(

pauldry wrote: »
    Yeah in Sligo its been

2000 Cool n cloudy
    2001 Wet and misty
    2002 Cool and Unsettled
    2003 Warm for a few days in August
    2004 Cloudy but mild
    2005 Warm and thundery esp July
    2006 Less warm less thundery but wet
    2007 Cool and very wet
    2008 Cool and Wet
    2009 Cool and wet, dry for some of June
    2010 Cool and Unsettled Warm first week June
    2011 Cool and Unsettled, Warm week in July
    2012 Warm end to May ...Cool and unsettled thereafter?

I'd agree with most of that but I think you under rated summer 2006 - I lived in Belmullet then and that June and July were fantastic, spent the entire 2 months browning myself on local beaches. I beleive a number of weather stations broke their all time highs during that summer including Belmullet hitting 30C on the 19/7:cool:

Sorry youre right. That spell was in 2006 not 2005.

So its 6 years since we had a hot day in July (well last year 24th and 25th were warm only)
    its 9 years since we had a hot spell in August

its colder theyre gettin methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

June 2007 was dismal and wet so was the rest of the summer!

another dark windy day out side again today! :confused:

Advertisement