Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Summer Already Been Cancelled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Baby75 wrote: »
    June 2007 was dismal and wet so was the rest of the summer!

another dark windy day out side again today! :confused:

Am not so sure we have to go back to '07
    I don't have the stats to hand but just going by memory surely the last 2 years were equally bad.
    Certainly a proper heatwave is absent out of the last 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Am not so sure we have to go back to '07
    I don't have the stats to hand but just going by memory surely the last 2 years were equally bad.
    Certainly a proper heatwave is absent out of the last 5!

It sticks out in my head! last time I felt like this (craving warm sunny weather) was in summer 2007! but I think you are right its been as bad the last two years! I can not comment on summer 08 as I was living in Australia (wish I was there now)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

Have not posted in ages. Summer feels like late autumn. Maybe because sunspot activity is low, with no reports of sunspots over the last few days. Were suppose to at maximum activity in the sunspot cycle. I think its time to book a flight to the Med to get some sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I lived in London then and we weren't having a great summer which I was finding depressing after the '05 and '06 heatwaves. Came back to Ireland for a few days in August, into torrential rain and saw the headlines in the papers 'It's Official, 40 Days and 40 Nights of Rain.' I suddenly appreciated the dull but mild summer I'd had enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How much rain was there in Malin head yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I can't stomach this much longer

gally74 wrote: »
    I can't stomach this much longer

Me neither! I would love to head away to some Sun but not chance,not on less I won the lotto ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we've had central heating on full blast for the past 2 days and friends have their fire lit tonight and were heading towards July, crazy stuff:(, all the way through my childhood summers were not this wet or cold year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am actually considering a hot water bottle for me tootsies tonight! We are definitely into 1985 territory but even cooler I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CorkMetMan

mike65 wrote: »
    I am actually considering a hot water bottle for me tootsies tonight! We are definitely into 1985 territory but even cooler I'd say.

Indeed Mike, June 1985 was bad, but this June is considerably worse. It's much, much wetter; 1985 had 71.3mm here in June, so far this month it's 170.3mm. June '85 had 158.8 hours of sunshine, this June has had 79.3 so far. June 1985 had an average temperature of 13.9c; this excuse for a June currently stands at 13.3c.

Horrible....

• Advertisement

1985 was a total cloud/wash out, so bad people started to see statues move!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

What temperature is it in Waterford is 11C in Naas at the moment?

It can't be that cold that you need a water bottle.

I have poorish circulation in my lower limbs hence the greater need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Oh right... its actually a good idea. I never thought about using a water bottle.

I will pass this information on to the appropriate people who have the same problem. My uncle was using microwaveable slippers while in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

There are kids under 7 in this country who have never experienced 25 degrees plus in June /July / August . They must be conditioned to thinking summer comes in March/April for a few weeks disappears and returns in September for a few more weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

20silkcut wrote: »
    There are kids under 7 in this country who have never experienced 25 degrees plus in June /July / August . They must be conditioned to thinking summer comes in March/April for a few weeks disappears and returns in September for a few more weeks.

But it does exactly that, and with exceptions, has done so for hundreds of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

another dark windy day out side again today! :confused:

Think June 07 actually started off quite decent (I was doing my JC) however from about the middle onwards it turned terrible! Never seen a worse summer in my lifetime I think.

This year's June has just been awful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Sick of these damp, dank, dreary, dismal, deplorably dull, dilapidated and destitute days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    How much rain was there in Malin head yesterday?

It was 50mm + at least Pangea, (daily data not updated up to yesterday just yet on met.ie) but this could possibly be the highest daily total at Malin Head since October 1989.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so much for today being a big improvement, drizzely rain here all morning and cold.

• Advertisement

They must have been even more shocked when they saw snow sticking to the ground in 2009 and 2010!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Just started bucketing down in Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's nothing new really, as far as I know there wasn't what could be described as a good summer between 1959 and 1975. I'm sure there were August '03 and July '06 type heat waves in this period but I'm talking about a "long" hot summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Cianos wrote: »
    Sick of these damp, dank, dreary, dismal, deplorably dull, dilapidated and destitute days.

I know just like groundhog day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I went out for a walk this afternoon, it was chilly with a brisk wind, next thing the sun came out and I was roasting in my jumpers. It was very humid and uncomfortable I ended up just dragging myself along. !0 mins later the skies opened, back into the wintergear.

well today was lovely here in Carlow nice and warm a bit of sun breaking through the clouds not proper summer weather but I will take anything over dull ,damp,dark wet days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

When the rain stopped, clouds went and the sun came out any time today it was roasting hot ! like uncomfortably hot in a jumper, but then minutes later it could start absolutely lashing with the slightest of warning and itd be freezing cold with pitch black clouds...strange weather today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Decent enough day in Sligo today.

Not too much rain (only in morning)

Sun shone a little and temperature reached 17c though it felt like 10c when the clouds came. Sun shone prolongedly as always at 2000 to 2146 as the babies had to sleep then. typical.

11 months today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

1985 was a total cloud/wash out, so bad people started to see statues move!

That is interesting! I was at a new market on Saturdaty at the Pink Elephant at Kilbrittain and a lady came drumming up trade for their new market at Ballinspittle. She mentioned the moving statue so I looked it up last night; youtube have a video on it.

One article I read said that the next year, vandals attacked the statue so it had to be replaced and that it all died down then, but they still speak of their moving statue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hot water bottles are great; I have Raynauds, so I lose touch with my feet on most days now.

Great for aching backs too... I refuse totally to light a fire in June or use heating.

Winter blankets are back on the bed and most of the runner bean seeds rotted.

NB Bleacb bottle make great hot water bottles.

Advertisement